U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 07:23 AM

7,592 posts, read 9,442,547 times

Advertisements

Maryland has to be the winner here, although Michigan's division is a bit strange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 08:14 AM

979 posts, read 355,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Western states are also ""new"" areas and thus haven't been adapted because of history or changes of culture.

For an example, Northern California and Southern California are so different, many people have considered splitting the state up. California got a high population fast and has sustained it for so long that they were able to develop a more isolated region with a unique culture of California while in the inland West like ourselves were skipped over during these economic booms and haven't quite settled in to certain ways yet. For an example, many say the whole West is similar culturally, but I think over the course of time, the West is beginning to divide up. Arizona and Washington are becoming less and less similar, as an example.

In some other Western states, like Washington, Colorado, Arizona, and even some non-Western states like Illinois and New York, there is a HUGE population imbalance where one area of the state dominates politically like a primate city. This creates a major concern for the constantly losing area, and may make the losing area retaliate or threaten to secede from that state and create its own. This is particularly true if the losing area has issues that are constantly not being addressed because of the focus on the more populated area.

Las Vegas used to be a part of Arizona until the federal government decided to use the Colorado river as a boundary instead of continuing the line. Imagine what Las Vegas would be like if it was in Arizona and not Nevada. Imagine what Nevada would be like without Las Vegas and some rights to the Hoover Dam which is a huge water and electric supplier. What if Colorado was split at the Front Range? What if Washington split in half?

I think the Western states as they become more developed will split up in the future to have more natural feature borders.

That's actually quite unlikely. Read the US Constitution. No territory can be removed from any state without the permission of the US Congress and the legislature of the state whose territory is being ceded. Why would any state legislature vote to cede territory to a new state?

Old 11-14-2017, 09:30 AM

335 posts, read 303,057 times
^I agree. If the US ever gets any additional states, it will be from new territory: PR, VI, Guam, etc.

Old 11-15-2017, 11:19 AM

639 posts, read 870,446 times
Florida looks like Howard Stern's.........never mind

Old 11-15-2017, 01:14 PM

1,508 posts, read 677,239 times
Default yes indeed

Maryland is the state with the most oddly-drawn borders.
It's also a strong contender for the "state with the coolest flag" award!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Maryland

Old 11-15-2017, 02:43 PM

6,631 posts, read 8,315,973 times
I would go with West Virginia (photo via Wiki Commons):

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._statehood.jpg

Old 11-16-2017, 09:51 AM

5,103 posts, read 2,743,062 times
Florida = America's phallus

Old 11-16-2017, 10:17 AM

17,219 posts, read 19,521,254 times
I live in Maryland and it never occurred to me that the state had a strange shape. You get used to something and it just seems normal.

Also, the upper two-thirds of the Chesapeake Bay is within the borders of Maryland.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:43 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,136,059 times
Rhode Island (with the inlets and bays), West Virginia and Massachusetts (Cape). Idaho is pretty odd too.

Most boring: UT, CO, WY.

Old 11-16-2017, 01:53 PM

6,631 posts, read 8,315,973 times
Massachusetts is sort of shaped like a gun.

When I was a kid, I used to look at that peninsula on Massachusetts and think that was Massachusetts' tiny and skinny little arm flexing. Haha.

I remember in 3rd grade, we were asked to pick a state and do a report on it. Basically the report was that you choose a state, and then you present it to the class by showing a cut out poster of the state's shape and in the cut out including information like the state capital (in its location in the state), the state motto, the state bird, the state's entry year into the United States, and one more fun fact about the state.

I chose Colorado because the state is essentially just a perfect rectangular shape. That meant that I wouldn't have to grab a pair of scissors and start cutting the outline of the shape. Instead, I just went to my printer and picked up a blank rectangular sheet of paper and that was it. All I had to do was go on Wikipedia and find the information I had to write on the paper and that was it.

I felt pretty bad for the folks that had to do Alaska, West Virginia, Michigan, Hawaii, and Maryland because, again as I already mentioned, we were instructed to cut out the outline of the state and those states are hard as hell to both draw and cut out. I especially feel for people that pick West Virginia for a project like that with its abnormal shape and jagged lines and stuff. Colorado and to an ever so slightly lesser extent Wyoming, in contrast, are not difficult at all. You just grab a blank piece of rectangular printer paper and write Colorado on it and that's it. You're done. Project complete in like 10 minutes. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or