U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tennessee or North Carolina
Tennessee 13 41.94%
North Carolina 18 58.06%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 08:20 AM

21,207 posts, read 30,420,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Memphis has been declining to stagnant for years. I live in the Tri-Cities, and it is in worse shape than Memphis. Knoxville is doing OK, but it's still small.
How would you sum up Chattanooga? It seems to be more Nashville-esque in terms of growth and desirability plus I would guess it's relative proximity to Atlanta is a bonus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 11:11 AM

23,635 posts, read 17,606,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
How would you sum up Chattanooga? It seems to be more Nashville-esque in terms of growth and desirability plus I would guess it's relative proximity to Atlanta is a bonus.
Nope. Outside of some tech development and its downtown, much of Chattanooga is still struggling. It was fairly manufacturing dependent and that took a beating. It's also becoming more expensive than Knoxville, though cheaper than Nashville, with much lower average wages than either.

There is a lot of action downtown, but outside of that I'd put it well behind any major NC metro.

Old 11-17-2017, 04:29 PM

6,522 posts, read 7,474,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Memphis has been declining to stagnant for years. I live in the Tri-Cities, and it is in worse shape than Memphis. Knoxville is doing OK, but it's still small.
Perspective matters. I consider Knoxville to be a large city but I have lived rural my entire life. Strange to hear Knoxville called small. Nashville is so large itís overwhelming, traffic city and buildings go on forever. I was in Nashville last summer and all the hip trendy people walking around, crowds, really I was a fish out of water. Fun to visit a place like that but it makes you appreciate going home too.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:12 AM

1,560 posts, read 2,397,862 times
To the OP I don't think you could go wrong either way based on your criteria. I think that after your scouting missions things will become clearer. Nashville is a winning city in a so-so state. The tax benefit certainly would be the biggest draw for me. North Carolina is a winning state with several winning cities including the Charlotte area. Taxes are a concern. Mountain and Beach are reasonably close and overall one of the best performing states outside of the usual suspects i.e. California, Texas etc.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:32 AM

23,635 posts, read 17,606,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Perspective matters. I consider Knoxville to be a large city but I have lived rural my entire life. Strange to hear Knoxville called small. Nashville is so large itís overwhelming, traffic city and buildings go on forever. I was in Nashville last summer and all the hip trendy people walking around, crowds, really I was a fish out of water. Fun to visit a place like that but it makes you appreciate going home too.
I don't think Knoxville is a "small town" myself, but as far as employment markets, it is small. Unfortunately, if you are a white collar professional and are looking to relocate to Tennessee, Nashville (and to a small extent Knoxville) are about your only options.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:37 AM

2,146 posts, read 1,435,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Here's my long-held prediction on migration trends:

FL --> NC --> TN --> KY

Personally, I think that TN is a better option than NC because:

A) It is more homegrown and racially / ethnically homogeneous.
B) It attracts fewer transplants from NY / NJ / CT (not the kinda folks you want as next-door neighbors).
C) TN has a lower overall tax burden.
D) To my understanding, higher education is much more affordable and accessible in TN (important factor if you've got kiddos).
Yeah, sorry to bust your bubble, on A and B buddy!!! Especially when it come to Nashville, Tons of Transplants in Nashville from up North there now as well. Even the past few time I've been to Chatt it has changed.. If you are looking for deep south flavor in parts of Tennessee, you might not quite find what your looking for. lol

Old 11-20-2017, 11:43 AM

3,011 posts, read 929,350 times
I've also been considering the two states. TN is a major draw to me due to low taxes and proximity to family in Arkansas. The problem is Nashville is the only place I'd want to live and the cost of housing may outweigh the tax savings unless wages were sufficiently higher than in Little Rock. I could go to Dallas and bring in good money but I want a midsize metro with cooler weather and scenery. Considering Nashville, Charlotte, Kansas City, or the booming Northwest Arkansas area.

Old 11-24-2017, 05:27 PM

3,630 posts, read 1,540,952 times
Both Charlotte and Nashville metro areas are excellent places to live. Overall, I'd go with Charlotte. A little less expensive and closer to beaches. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.