U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2017, 12:08 AM

1 posts, read 3,713 times

Advertisements

Hi all, Iím new to the site and loving the conversations.

My girlfriend and I are in our mid-twenties and both looking for work. We have been living in Seattle and love it for so many reasons, but we just canít afford it. Weíre a bit picky in our search.

Most important factors:
1. Culture - progressive, ideally a blue state (not just liberal in the city surrounded by conservative). Not a hugely religious place. LGBT community and active political community. Intellectual community, major plus if thereís a university in town. I know my desire to be with people only like myself makes me sound a bit closeminded, and Iím working on that, but... eh. A topic for another forum
2. Weather - I cannot do another Pacific Northwest winter, my girlfriend cannot do another Wisconsin winter. I prefer the change of the seasons similar to my childhood in Missouri, but we are avoiding the cold.
3. Affordability - cheap would be awesome. Less than Seattle is a great place to start.
4. Businesses - good food, good beer, good bookstores, local shops, concert venues, variety in restaurants (Indian, vegetarian, etc).
5. Social - other young people that arenít already grouped with a high school friend group. A couple bars would be nice because we like beer, but weíre not too worried about having nightlife past 10:00 PM. A place where people go out to bars or farmers markets and are friendly.
6. Iím looking for a cute town, or at least a cute downtown. Parks around.

We go back and forth between a tiny little town and a huge city... So, thatís up in the air. Ideally a place where we could get jobs pretty easily. Not too worried about proximity to family or friends. Thanks in advance for any help.

Bridget
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2017, 05:33 AM

377 posts, read 201,774 times
You could try Pittsburgh, I hear the city core is very progressive (two college towns), it's definitely cheap by US standards [the US is cheap for developed nations as well], and the weather would be similar to Missouri. Maybe that's too cold for your girlfriend.

Virginia is another place to look. Especially a college town like Charlottesville.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:17 AM

56,510 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Newark DE may work.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:41 AM

21,180 posts, read 30,336,326 times
Durham-Chapel Hill-Carrboro NC would be a great fit. Despite not being in a "blue state" it's easily among the most liberal metro areas in the country and neighbors slightly less liberal Raleigh-Cary. The LGBT community is very pronounced and active, while also open to transplants thanks to the somewhat transient nature involved with two major universities in the area (UNC and Duke). The weather is ideal for most with four moderate seasons equally split up, and little snow/ice. The area was named one of the best for foodies with really good restaurants of all varieties, quality farmers markets, along with many bars and a few breweries. Each of the towns and downtowns has their own vibe/identity which gives you some good options. Durham is a former tobacco town which has retained it's industrial vibe through conversion of old tobacco warehouses into apartments and shopping venues in it's downtown area, plus has extensive historic districts surrounding. The Ninth Street area is more college town-like where Duke tends to overlap more with the community and has it's own downtown vibe as well. Chapel Hill is the quintessential college town with more of an integration of the college feel overall, though while much smaller than Durham in overall population (60K versus 260K). Carrboro could very well wind up being your favorite. It is the most liberal of the three as it has a wonderful feeling of inclusiveness along with a charming small town feel. Carrboro meshes seamlessly with Chapel Hill, so you're in the thick of things to do within a few miles of one another at most. It's about 15-20 minutes from Chapel Hill-Carrboro to Durham. The economy is thriving in the area in terms of jobs and at worst would be within 30-35 minutes of pretty much anywhere you'd wind up working, including Raleigh. Durham has the predominate share of Research Triangle Park within it's city limits, which is one of the largest clusters of tech-biohealth employers in the country with over 250 companies with facilities there, not to mention the universities and many other options for work. The cost of living is quite manageable as well with salaries competitive to much more expensive housing markets, and in fact Durham has one of the highest levels of disposable income in the country after housing costs are factored.

Old 11-12-2017, 07:29 AM

6,309 posts, read 6,960,359 times
college towns may be your best bet, in the midwest and the south. I feel like you can find everything you've listed except that you'll probably have to be blue (city) in a sea of red (state) to some degree. But it doesn't have to be that noticeable.

I'm with the other posters, Chapel Hill + Carrboro + Durham seem to fit well.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:05 AM

4,342 posts, read 7,416,822 times
What kind of work you do and your education level is going to determine greatly where you can live and what you can afford. When you say you are looking for work, what exactly do you mean? Anything that pays a wage, or something specific like healthcare, IT, etc?

be aware that a lot of warmer areas like the SE are very conservative red states outside of the larger cities and it sounds like you couldn't tolerate that very well so southern California or possibly Phoenix (which has a large Mormon population so probably not, come to think of it) would probably be your best bet. SoCal is very expensive, though, so again, you would have to consider the job question, but if you have been able to afford Seattle then it sounds like you do all right financially so maybe LA would be your best bet.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:13 AM

12,351 posts, read 7,498,921 times
You want a place that is "progressive", has a mild climate, is sufficiently "trendy", and inexpensive:

You can have three out of four; make your choice!

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 11-12-2017 at 08:44 AM..

Old 11-12-2017, 08:26 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,513,328 times
[quote=brigeo;50103826]Hi all, Iím new to the site and loving the conversations.

My girlfriend and I are in our mid-twenties and both looking for work. We have been living in Seattle and love it for so many reasons, but we just canít afford it. Weíre a bit picky in our search.

Most important factors:
1. Culture - progressive, ideally a blue state (not just liberal in the city surrounded by conservative). Not a hugely religious place. LGBT community and active political community. Intellectual community, major plus if thereís a university in town. I know my desire to be with people only like myself makes me sound a bit closeminded, and Iím working on that, but... eh. A topic for another forum
2. Weather - I cannot do another Pacific Northwest winter, my girlfriend cannot do another Wisconsin winter. I prefer the change of the seasons similar to my childhood in Missouri, but we are avoiding the cold.
3. Affordability - cheap would be awesome. Less than Seattle is a great place to start.
4. Businesses - good food, good beer, good bookstores, local shops, concert venues, variety in restaurants (Indian, vegetarian, etc).
5. Social - other young people that arenít already grouped with a high school friend group. A couple bars would be nice because we like beer, but weíre not too worried about having nightlife past 10:00 PM. A place where people go out to bars or farmers markets and are friendly.
6. Iím looking for a cute town, or at least a cute downtown. Parks around.

We go back and forth between a tiny little town and a huge city... So, thatís up in the air. Ideally a place where we could get jobs pretty easily. Not too worried about proximity to family or friends. Thanks in advance for any help.

Bridget[/QUOTE

Raleigh/Durham would be good choices for what you're looking for. Not cheap, but pretty affordable. Great colleges, nice people, a good variety of views, and good weather........Not trying to be a prude, but just be careful about the "progressive" thing. As you stated, it really does sound very closed minded and not inclusive at all; just like "progressives" accuse others of being. It's hard to "work on that" if you're not willing to put yourself in a situation to, indeed, work on it; like living in a moderate area. I'm an Independent Conservative and have not problems being here in MA where it's very Liberal. We all get along pretty well even though we disagree on some things. The only place I really couldn't live would be the San Francisco/San Jose area. It's just too viciously hostile toward any view not their own. Most everyone wants to get along ultimately. Be when we say we are tolerant, we have to really mean it. Anyway, good luck wherever you end up!

Old 11-12-2017, 08:32 AM

11,810 posts, read 18,790,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Durham has the predominate share of Research Triangle Park within it's city limits, which is one of the largest clusters of tech-biohealth employers in the country with over 250 companies with facilities there, not to mention the universities and many other options for work. The cost of living is quite manageable as well with salaries competitive to much more expensive housing markets, and in fact Durham has one of the highest levels of disposable income in the country after housing costs are factored.
RTP isn't in any city's limits; it's a separate thing. About 65% of RTP land area is in Durham County while the rest of it is in Wake County.

The thing about the Triangle that's different from some other fast growing metros is that all of the main counties are blue: Wake, Durham and Orange, as well as Chatham. These counties represent the lion's share of the metro's population.

As currently gerrymandered (since 2010 election), the state is run by the Republicans legislatively though the Governor, Atty General and some other statewide officials are Democrats. If the state finally gets court ordered re-districting in place, it too may return to the more balanced state that it traditionally was.

Old 11-12-2017, 08:46 AM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 15 days ago)

8,675 posts, read 10,828,629 times
What about types of jobs you both need??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or