U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 12:59 PM

17,655 posts, read 4,055,214 times

Advertisements

It turns brown where i live
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 01:03 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,277,280 times
Winter is the South's "dry season" while it is the PNW's "wet season." Vice versa for summer.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:50 PM

448 posts, read 390,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
It's mid-November and I am surprised how green the grass is here in Minnesota. Even with the past freezes and short lived snowfalls. Back in Texas the grass would start to turn brown at the end of November and be brown all winter long. Same goes for far North Florida, Georgia and Tennessee. Granted the grass here is not as green as in summer and definitely not like in spring but it's still green which I find surprising.
I live in south central TX and my grass is the greenest in December cause the summer is so hot its hard to keep it green so with a mild winter and rain I have to mow my grass often in winter.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:25 PM

7,721 posts, read 9,015,236 times
Quote:
Frost or snow? We got refrozen slushy patches of snow on sidewalks and dirt, but none on the grass.
Snow but we did get a good frost this morning.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:49 PM

74 posts, read 39,236 times
Here in Georgia I've noticed the grass turning Brown in October and completely brown by late November typically after the first frost/freeze. Grass can stay green longer in areas protected from the cold/wind.

Old 11-13-2017, 10:36 PM

1,957 posts, read 1,453,252 times
Wow Chicago! Here in Metro Atlanta we have had a glorious fall color season, but of course after a few days of rain last week, its past peak now, still there are some really gorgeous sweet gums and oaks.

My summer Bermuda grass is totally brown, now, but I always plant fescue over it is early fall (Yes, I know the "grass snobs" don't want you to "mix" varieties, but I really don't mind the fescue):

1. It stays green all winter, but still does dormant in cold weather and DOES NOT have to be cut.
2. It doesn't "die" instantly on the first warm day like winter rye does leaving ugly holes in your lawn.
3. By the time fescue looks less than ideal around here in late spring (Memorial Dayish for Metro Atlanta) my Bermuda is awaken and growing glorious green again.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:45 PM

5,286 posts, read 3,501,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Wow Chicago! Here in Metro Atlanta we have had a glorious fall color season, but of course after a few days of rain last week, its past peak now, still there are some really gorgeous sweet gums and oaks.

My summer Bermuda grass is totally brown, now, but I always plant fescue over it is early fall (Yes, I know the "grass snobs" don't want you to "mix" varieties, but I really don't mind the fescue):

1. It stays green all winter, but still does dormant in cold weather and DOES NOT have to be cut.
2. It doesn't "die" instantly on the first warm day like winter rye does leaving ugly holes in your lawn.
3. By the time fescue looks less than ideal around here in late spring (Memorial Dayish for Metro Atlanta) my Bermuda is awaken and growing glorious green again.
This.

Old 11-15-2017, 05:04 PM

6,053 posts, read 3,377,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
This has been an odd fall, it's already mid November and all the trees on our block in Chicago are still full of green leaves, nothing is turning yet.

Until that first freeze a few days ago when I looked out my window on November 9th and it was sunny out it still looked like July with the lush green trees and all my summer plants still in full bloom.

Its been a below average November here, yet the birches right outside the library here in Minneapolis still have green (albeit dull) leaves. Everything else is bare or only has a few brown leaves left.

Old 11-15-2017, 05:07 PM

6,053 posts, read 3,377,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbidy View Post
I live in south central TX and my grass is the greenest in December cause the summer is so hot its hard to keep it green so with a mild winter and rain I have to mow my grass often in winter.
Really? Everywhere I lived in Texas the grass was greenest in spring, starting in early March. Late summer it might get a little yellowy from the heat, then it would get greener in September from rain before turning brownish in November.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:02 PM

448 posts, read 390,116 times
Quote:
Really? Everywhere I lived in Texas the grass was greenest in spring, starting in early March. Late summer it might get a little yellowy from the heat, then it would get greener in September from rain before turning brownish in November.
Hmmm idk, my grass is green now and needs to be cut again. We seem to get rain in the winter a little bit but it seems to keep my yard green. And I dont ever water it. Im in the San Antonio area, not sure where you lived. I know in the panhandle it turns brown in winter and probably in Dallas as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or