U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-17-2017, 09:37 PM
 
Location: Jersey City
6,490 posts, read 16,181,014 times
Reputation: 5646

Advertisements

Grass here stays green through winter. It may turn brown if there’s a summer drought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-20-2017, 01:16 PM
 
501 posts, read 681,235 times
Reputation: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I actually love bare trees. I don't like broadleaf trees that stay green all year, the exception being the Southern live oak like you see in the Deep South, as those are beautiful. But I think the plateau live oak like you see in Texas and Oklahoma is butt ugly with a dull green to boot. I love the look of bare branches from late fall to mid spring. Maybe that's the macabre/goth in me
I live in San Antonio and Live Oak trees can be found all over SA, Austin and Houston. I have one in the front yard. My neighborhood is filled with them. In Savannah (relatives live there) they have the Spanish Moss that drapes the oak trees, here it's Ball Moss. Live Oaks loose their leaves in the Spring and produce new leaves as the old ones are falling off, they are never completely bare. St Augustine (carpet grass) and Bermuda are the most common types of grass here and will turn brown the first hard freeze. It's green for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2017, 05:55 AM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
6,526 posts, read 7,481,467 times
Reputation: 10934
I live in Tennessee and we are in a touchy area for grass selection. Some use cool weather grasses like fescue and some use warm weather grass like Bermuda. Both will grow here but it can be touch and go for both. Fescues turn brown in summer as it can get too hot for it here. Bermuda grass can have issues with cold here as we are on its northern fringe of its growing range. Bermuda grass turns brown during winter but does great in our hot summers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2017, 09:06 AM
 
Location: South Padre Island, TX
2,452 posts, read 1,288,113 times
Reputation: 1386
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I actually love bare trees. I don't like broadleaf trees that stay green all year, the exception being the Southern live oak like you see in the Deep South, as those are beautiful. But I think the plateau live oak like you see in Texas and Oklahoma is butt ugly with a dull green to boot. I love the look of bare branches from late fall to mid spring. Maybe that's the macabre/goth in me
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH View Post
I live in San Antonio and Live Oak trees can be found all over SA, Austin and Houston. I have one in the front yard. My neighborhood is filled with them. In Savannah (relatives live there) they have the Spanish Moss that drapes the oak trees, here it's Ball Moss. Live Oaks loose their leaves in the Spring and produce new leaves as the old ones are falling off, they are never completely bare. St Augustine (carpet grass) and Bermuda are the most common types of grass here and will turn brown the first hard freeze. It's green for now.
Actually, you can find spanish moss in areas around San Antonio (see: Palmetto State Park). Ball moss also occurs all across the South, including in Savannah.

As far as the live oak, BadgerFilms is referring to the fact that there is a subspecies of the tree distinct to the Texas/Oklahoma region: the plateau live oak, or quercus fusiformis.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercus_fusiformis
http://bonap.net/MapGallery/County/Q...fusiformis.png
Quercus fusiformis Fact Sheet

In Texas, the regular Southern Live Oak (as seen in the Deep South) occurs only along the Gulf Coast area from Matagorda county northwards. Populations elsewhere in the state are either fusiformis, or hybrids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2017, 10:50 AM
 
501 posts, read 681,235 times
Reputation: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
Actually, you can find spanish moss in areas around San Antonio (see: Palmetto State Park). Ball moss also occurs all across the South, including in Savannah.

As far as the live oak, BadgerFilms is referring to the fact that there is a subspecies of the tree distinct to the Texas/Oklahoma region: the plateau live oak, or quercus fusiformis.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercus_fusiformis
http://bonap.net/MapGallery/County/Q...fusiformis.png
Quercus fusiformis Fact Sheet

In Texas, the regular Southern Live Oak (as seen in the Deep South) occurs only along the Gulf Coast area from Matagorda county northwards. Populations elsewhere in the state are either fusiformis, or hybrids.
I never been to Palmetto State Park, it's not that far from SA. I just haven't seen Spanish moss in SA, it's everywhere in Savannah. I believe you on the different species, they just look like the same tree to me in SA or Savannah here they just use the generic name Live Oak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2017, 11:05 AM
 
Location: Apex, NC
3,036 posts, read 7,409,841 times
Reputation: 2494
My yard has now turned completely brown. It's really been prevalent over the last several days. Of course I have Bermuda sod which goes dormant in the winter and will start turning green again sometime in April. This area of central NC is a little unique since we're about as far north as you can get and still have decent looking warm season grasses (Bermudagrass, centipedegrass, and zoysiagrass). I actually like the maintenance aspect of it, but when it browns it easily tracks on your shoes and we get it in our house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2017, 11:16 AM
 
Location: Mid Atlantic USA
12,344 posts, read 10,336,026 times
Reputation: 5412
Around here in Philly grass is green all winter mostly cause we don't use the warm summer season grass like Bermuda. We use rye grasses mixed with fescue, etc. Only lawns dead and brown are those where people use Bermuda grass. But it is not as popular since it does go dormant brown. However, during extreme cold events like say days of temperatures where the high temp doesn't go above freezing even the cold season grasses here will turn brown due to the ground being frozen solid on the surface. A week later say after normal temps it turns quickly back to green.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2017, 11:19 AM
 
Location: South Padre Island, TX
2,452 posts, read 1,288,113 times
Reputation: 1386
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH View Post
I never been to Palmetto State Park, it's not that far from SA. I just haven't seen Spanish moss in SA, it's everywhere in Savannah. I believe you on the different species, they just look like the same tree to me in SA or Savannah here they just use the generic name Live Oak.
I know its more common in Savannah, just saying that San Antonio too has spanish moss. In the case of San Antonio, the dryness of the climate limits the extent of spanish moss. However, even in areas sufficiently moist enough, the presence of the moss can vary from common to rare, depending on numerous factors like soil content, air quality, area landscaping preferences, etc. For example Savannah's gardening culture likely treasures the moss, so it is left to grow abundantly, but areas that don't like it may spray chemicals on trees to prevent the growth.

Yeah, the two live oak species are similar, though plateau live oak is smaller on average, with a more erect trunk.

Last edited by Texyn; 11-22-2017 at 11:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2017, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
2,971 posts, read 4,352,366 times
Reputation: 2015
The Texas Live Oaks which are different from the Live Oaks found in the Southeast are very common up into the DFW area as well. There tends to not be any type of moss on the ones in this area though as there's not the consistent atmospheric conditions for the moss to grow as much of the year is more dry than humid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top