Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 06:33 PM

16 posts, read 12,008 times

Advertisements

I am 23 years old from Ohio. I want to move out of state hopefully in the next year. I have been looking at major cities on the east coast but am not limited to that. I would really like to love south (somewhere warmer than Ohio) but anywhere other then the mid west will do. I have work experience in dairies and restaraunts (serving and managing). I'm looking somewhere either up and coming or already built up. If anyone has any suggestions on areas best for someone around my age that is decently affordable. Alotefereably south or east coast but not limited to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 07:05 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,457,003 times
How does Tennessee sound?

Old 11-16-2017, 08:23 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,325,259 times
Greenville, SC could be a fit. It’s a known place, but definitely still “up and coming(ish)”. Affordable and further south.

Old 11-16-2017, 10:46 PM

I have not been to Tennessee at all but I've heard great things about it

Old 11-17-2017, 09:23 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
If looking to work in restaurants, find a number of desirable options to choose from and more importantly live comfortably with affordable housing I would suggest Atlanta (central areas like East Atlanta, Little Five Points or Kirkwood), Charlotte (City Center area, Ballantyne or South Park), Durham (downtown and Southpoint, neighboring Chapel Hill or Carrboro), Raleigh (downtown, North Hills and Cameron Village) and Richmond (Church Hill and The Fan District).

Old 11-17-2017, 10:40 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,676,743 times
I don't blame you for wanting out of Ohio. I left NY when I was 18 years old for the South. Check out the following areas:

Atlanta, GA
Raleigh, NC
Austin, TX
Nashville, TN
Charlotte, NC
Wilmington, NC

Greenville, SC could work, but I'm not really a fan of SC as a whole.

Could always check out FL too. I lived on the west coast of FL for a while and it was great. Sarasota, Tampa, and even some parts of St. Petersburg are great.

Keep in mind, rent will be higher in all of these cities compared to Ohio, but in states like FL and TX, you don't have state income tax.

I have some friends from Cleveland who wanted to move out of OH and ended up in Buffalo, NY. Do NOT, under any circumstances, do that.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:51 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,417,068 times
M'eh, every kid wants away from their home state. I was born and raised in Wyoming, couldn't wait to leave (and did Seattle, DC, Phoenix, and Atlanta by the time I was 26). It was fine for 20-something me, but I'd give anything to be able to move back to Wyoming now that I'm older. So, don't burn bridges on your way out.... you might want to go back.

For you, just pick a spot for any ole reason you'd like. I chased girls and jobs across the country but always lived near universities and in the middle of the kids in college as it was the cheapest place to live (and with others my age). I'm not much fan of "the south", all the tales about hospitality and charm seem to be decades old and long dead, but my perspective won't be your perspective. Nothing for it but to make your move and see what you like, what you don't and how you manage life.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:05 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
M'eh, every kid wants away from their home state.
True words.

I didn't hate my home state, but I wanted to expand my horizons. Although I love my adopted state, the economy here is the worst and I hate the weather where I moved (sunny, dry).

After a couple of decades, I am ready to move back north and east. Not a big fan of the politics and taxes up there, but at least $15/hour isn't considered "pretty good" up north.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:34 PM

11,085 posts, read 7,149,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
M'eh, every kid wants away from their home state. I was born and raised in Wyoming, couldn't wait to leave (and did Seattle, DC, Phoenix, and Atlanta by the time I was 26). It was fine for 20-something me, but I'd give anything to be able to move back to Wyoming now that I'm older. So, don't burn bridges on your way out.... you might want to go back.
So true. I can totally relate. Sometimes that restless spirit, "grass is greener on the other side of the fence", and desire for "change" gets us to do things we later regret. I too would give anything to move back to where I'm from. I think about it every day. It's harder to move at the point where I am now, unlike the flexibility in my earlier days.

I'm not sure if there's a name for that syndrome (got to move away - especially from one's roots), but we see it a lot on this forum. It's sometimes so hard to see what good we have around us, until we go elsewhere and it's gone.

Old 11-18-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
I don't blame you for wanting out of Ohio. I left NY when I was 18 years old for the South. Check out the following areas:

Atlanta, GA
Raleigh, NC
Austin, TX
Nashville, TN
Charlotte, NC
Wilmington, NC

Greenville, SC could work, but I'm not really a fan of SC as a whole.

Could always check out FL too. I lived on the west coast of FL for a while and it was great. Sarasota, Tampa, and even some parts of St. Petersburg are great.

Keep in mind, rent will be higher in all of these cities compared to Ohio, but in states like FL and TX, you don't have state income tax.

I have some friends from Cleveland who wanted to move out of OH and ended up in Buffalo, NY. Do NOT, under any circumstances, do that.
I've really been looking into the east coast like Philadelphia and New Jersey that area I haven't checked anywhere south yet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.