Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 01:44 PM

35,063 posts, read 31,284,584 times

Advertisements

Possibly some liberal areas of VA near the mountains like Charlottesville would work too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 01:51 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,555,546 times
Sounds like you want California pacific coast at Tuscon housing prices. I seriously don't think there exists a place that you are describing in the US.
Here was my criteria:

Low crime
cheap housing
metro pop of half a million+
miid winters, summers not terrible like AZ or Houston for example
lots of things to do/see outdoors

I came up with a list of exactly 1 area that fit all this criteria - NW Arkansas. If there is another area meeting all these criteria I'd love to know what that is. I actually don't think another area meets just the first 3 criteria.

Last edited by duke944; 11-14-2017 at 02:01 PM..

Old 11-14-2017, 01:56 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Sounds like you want California pacific coast at Tuscon housing prices. I seriously don't think there exists a place that you are describing in the US.
Yeah, that was my initial reaction as well. Portugal would be a great option.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:12 PM

631 posts, read 1,093,479 times
In Indy, Most people are pretty standoffish, but not overly rude. They like to keep their heads down, and to themselves.

You have to create your own sunshine here, and people will join you.

Old 11-14-2017, 02:18 PM

5 posts, read 5,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Yeah, that was my initial reaction as well. Portugal would be a great option.
I’ve been googling cities ans states with affordable real estate market and warm ( nit too hot) summers. And those cities were one the list. I dont mind moderate amount of snow 2 month a year i just dont like it to be freezing cold half of the year .

Old 11-14-2017, 08:17 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Oregon, and Portland in particular, might fit your criteria, or maybe Seattle, in the state of Washington, might have some attraction. The eastern half of the US is humid section, especially in southern states, while the northeast can be quite expensive.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:51 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Here was my criteria:

Low crime
cheap housing
metro pop of half a million+
miid winters, summers not terrible like AZ or Houston for example
lots of things to do/see outdoors

I came up with a list of exactly 1 area that fit all this criteria - NW Arkansas. If there is another area meeting all these criteria I'd love to know what that is. I actually don't think another area meets just the first 3 criteria.
There's places like this in Arizona (California coast weather) and even cheaper AND greener than Tucson and LA but they are rural small towns.

When you start getting into a more major city and metro that's when it becomes impossible to meet. There are small towns that have this though.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:05 AM

9 posts, read 12,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
As an FYI Indianapolis is a city and Indiana is the state. Indiana winters are quite cold and can be snowy outside of the southern end which can be humid in the summer, and the state isn't exactly known as being open armed to foreigners. Nevada is probably your best bet in/around Las Vegas and Henderson.
That couldn't be further from the truth. Our neighborhood has quite a few foreigners. Especially from India and the Middle East. People get along fine shockingly enough.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:07 AM

9 posts, read 12,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkhorram View Post
My husband and i are looking to relocate to a cheap state (affordable real estate) that has warm weather most of the year with low to none humidity,i dont mind some snow in the winter as long as its not below freezing point.I’m also looking for a state with the most soul that’s super friendly to foreigners cuz my husband doesn’t speak English very well, and also is a perfect place for young couples with a lot of outdoorsy activities and restaurants.My ideal state is California cuz grow up in Los Angles but its too expensive for us,i currently live in Arizona but it get to hot that you discover that you can get a sunburn through your car window. Do i ask for a lot? Lol
I was thinking Oregon or Indianapolis, any suggestions?
Indianapolis would probably match your criteria the best. Winters are moderate and at most 2-3 months of the year. Nothing like up north in Chicago, Michigan and Minnesota. Humidity is moderate as well and if you have ever been to the South/Florida you will laugh at what Indianapolis considers to be humidity. My son moved there from Chicagoland 5 years ago and we enjoy going down to see him every time. So much to do in the city.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:26 AM

1,349 posts, read 1,707,420 times
I’d love to find a place that gets snow occasionally but never gets below freezing. Must be a magical place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.