U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 10:21 AM

3,082 posts, read 2,114,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hkhorram View Post
My husband and i are looking to relocate to a cheap state (affordable real estate) that has warm weather most of the year with low to none humidity,i dont mind some snow in the winter as long as its not below freezing point.I’m also looking for a state with the most soul that’s super friendly to foreigners cuz my husband doesn’t speak English very well, and also is a perfect place for young couples with a lot of outdoorsy activities and restaurants.My ideal state is California cuz grow up in Los Angles but its too expensive for us,i currently live in Arizona but it get to hot that you discover that you can get a sunburn through your car window. Do i ask for a lot? Lol
I was thinking Oregon or Indianapolis, any suggestions?
Please define a range for cheap. Yes, we would all like a brand new home in an upscale neighborhood with no crime and excellent schools for $50k, but what price ranges meet your criteria for affordable real estate and value?

Earlier suggestion for Colorado Springs may be a good one, depending on your definition of affordable. Its low humidity, minimal snow most the winter (although it will get cold spells below freezing on occasion), friendly to foreigners because of both our Olympic Training Center and our military population (we have a lot of Asian and European expats here) a lot of outdoorsy activities including races up Pikes Peak in automobiles, on foot and bicycles, 100s of miles of in town running trails, growing food scene, with easy access to the Denver metro for more city oriented experiences. Possible failing point, what defines soul? Cos has been many things over its life and has evolved with the times. What it is now is not what it once was and it will change again, it already is changing. So if you are looking for some long establish, historic sense of itself, Cos may lack in that detail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 10:28 AM

5 posts, read 3,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExElginResident View Post
Indianapolis would probably match your criteria the best. Winters are moderate and at most 2-3 months of the year. Nothing like up north in Chicago, Michigan and Minnesota. Humidity is moderate as well and if you have ever been to the South/Florida you will laugh at what Indianapolis considers to be humidity. My son moved there from Chicagoland 5 years ago and we enjoy going down to see him every time. So much to do in the city.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Please define a range for cheap. Yes, we would all like a brand new home in an upscale neighborhood with no crime and excellent schools for $50k, but what price ranges meet your criteria for affordable real estate and value?

Earlier suggestion for Colorado Springs may be a good one, depending on your definition of affordable. Its low humidity, minimal snow most the winter (although it will get cold spells below freezing on occasion), friendly to foreigners because of both our Olympic Training Center and our military population (we have a lot of Asian and European expats here) a lot of outdoorsy activities including races up Pikes Peak in automobiles, on foot and bicycles, 100s of miles of in town running trails, growing food scene, with easy access to the Denver metro for more city oriented experiences. Possible failing point, what defines soul? Cos has been many things over its life and has evolved with the times. What it is now is not what it once was and it will change again, it already is changing. So if you are looking for some long establish, historic sense of itself, Cos may lack in that detail.
Thank you, Colorado sounds nice!

By affordable real estate i mean 2-3Bd for $80k.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:39 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,140,934 times
Colorado is COLD, lots of times that the temperatures are in the freezing range. In the five-day forecast right now in fact, three of the five days go below freezing. There's quite a bit of snow during December-February, with snow often lasting until April. The post above is deceptive and high degree of sugar-coating.

It's expensive too. It's also very white and non-cultured (see original post). There's a lot of anti-transplant mentality in this state (CO). Sure doesn't fit the OP comments.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 11-15-2017 at 10:51 AM..

Old 11-15-2017, 10:40 AM

56,592 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Quote:

Good luck with that last sentence, unless you look in select small towns/cities that are fine enough.

Old 11-15-2017, 11:26 AM

18,927 posts, read 6,860,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Colorado is COLD, lots of times that the temperatures are in the freezing range. In the five-day forecast right now in fact, three of the five days go below freezing. There's quite a bit of snow during December-February, with snow often lasting until April. The post above is deceptive and high degree of sugar-coating.

It's expensive too. It's also very white and non-cultured (see original post). There's a lot of anti-transplant mentality in this state (CO). Sure doesn't fit the OP comments.
Exactly, Denver has normal morning low temps below freezing from late October until early April, bottoming out at 16° in January, and normal highs below 50° from late November until early March, bottoming out at 42° in January.

Denver gets occasional days in the 50s and 60s in the winter thanks to temporary Chinook winds, but they are balanced out by days with highs in the single digits and teens with lots of snow when low pressure systems send moist air sloping up the Rockies from the east

Old 11-15-2017, 12:14 PM

4,347 posts, read 7,421,558 times
Quote:

I live in a small town in SE Michigan, which I know is too cold for you, but that's a good thing because anything in that price range here would be a total fixer upper and not very pleasant.

There may be some small towns in the rural Southeast that would fit that price point, but there you would have extreme humidity.

You might look into some smaller towns in northern Arizona or New Mexico where it is relatively warm but still gets an occasional bit of snow, the humidity is low, and housing prices might fit that budget. When we lived in the Phoenix Metro there were some outlying towns like Wickenburg (I know, too hot, but just as an example) that had affordable housing in that price range but you would have had to sacrifice proximity to a larger city and amenities and they didn't have much else going for them, frankly. I'm sure there are towns like this further north where the weather is more hospitable.

Honestly, I agree with the others here, your criteria is going to be hard to fit. Good luck!

Old 11-15-2017, 12:27 PM

5 posts, read 3,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
I live in a small town in SE Michigan, which I know is too cold for you, but that's a good thing because anything in that price range here would be a total fixer upper and not very pleasant.

There may be some small towns in the rural Southeast that would fit that price point, but there you would have extreme humidity.

You might look into some smaller towns in northern Arizona or New Mexico where it is relatively warm but still gets an occasional bit of snow, the humidity is low, and housing prices might fit that budget. When we lived in the Phoenix Metro there were some outlying towns like Wickenburg (I know, too hot, but just as an example) that had affordable housing in that price range but you would have had to sacrifice proximity to a larger city and amenities and they didn't have much else going for them, frankly. I'm sure there are towns like this further north where the weather is more hospitable.

Honestly, I agree with the others here, your criteria is going to be hard to fit. Good luck!
Thank you!

Old 11-15-2017, 01:18 PM

3,082 posts, read 2,114,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post

Colorado is a very large place. If I had meant to direct the OP to stepford bozoland, or even Denver, I wouldn't have made the point. Not all of it is the frigid ice box of narrow minded whitebread you make it out to be. Expensive, possibly, hence asking what the OP considers reasonable and what they mean by soul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Exactly, Denver has normal morning low temps below freezing from late October until early April, bottoming out at 16° in January, and normal highs below 50° from late November until early March, bottoming out at 42° in January.

Denver gets occasional days in the 50s and 60s in the winter thanks to temporary Chinook winds, but they are balanced out by days with highs in the single digits and teens with lots of snow when low pressure systems send moist air sloping up the Rockies from the east
Ditto from above, dude who lives in the desert.

Mean while in Colorado Springs, our next 5 day forecast is 67, 65, 44, 54, 58. There is hardly snow on the ground October to April. While the chance may exist for snow in between those months, it is hardly like northern climes where the snow will remain on the ground from October to April, because the next string of 60-70* days will wipe it out and yes, we can get several weeks of mild temps not the occasional day. Just like we get the occasional day of bitter cold temps, but they aren't the norm either.

In Pueblo, temps are even nicer at 50, 70, 73, 50, 58 over the next week. Pueblo will have plenty of local flavor, or soul, and prices will be 10-20% lower than Colo Spgs. However, while heavy in Hispanic heritage, they will also lack the range of diversity that is found in Cos and it will still be above the prices sought by the OP.

Quote:

Now that will eliminate almost any really place nice in Colorado. 2-3 bd house here can be found at about twice that and up at the lowest price points. While lower prices can be found throughout the state, the rest of the list of your must haves will suffer significantly.

Old 11-15-2017, 01:34 PM

18,927 posts, read 6,860,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Colorado is a very large place. If I had meant to direct the OP to stepford bozoland, or even Denver, I wouldn't have made the point. Not all of it is the frigid ice box of narrow minded whitebread you make it out to be. Expensive, possibly, hence asking what the OP considers reasonable and what they mean by soul.

Ditto from above, dude who lives in the desert.

Mean while in Colorado Springs, our next 5 day forecast is 67, 65, 44, 54, 58. There is hardly snow on the ground October to April. While the chance may exist for snow in between those months, it is hardly like northern climes where the snow will remain on the ground from October to April, because the next string of 60-70* days will wipe it out and yes, we can get several weeks of mild temps not the occasional day. Just like we get the occasional day of bitter cold temps, but they aren't the norm either.

In Pueblo, temps are even nicer at 50, 70, 73, 50, 58 over the next week. Pueblo will have plenty of local flavor, or soul, and prices will be 10-20% lower than Colo Spgs. However, while heavy in Hispanic heritage, they will also lack the range of diversity that is found in Cos and it will still be above the prices sought by the OP.

Now that will eliminate almost any really place nice in Colorado. 2-3 bd house here can be found at about twice that and up at the lowest price points. While lower prices can be found throughout the state, the rest of the list of your must haves will suffer significantly.
It's still fall, not winter yet, and Denver's normal high today is 52°, I consider that cool, not mild.

Anyways, I've been in Denver last year when it's snowed in March, and April

Old 11-16-2017, 11:02 PM

4 posts, read 1,939 times
According to me :
California
Hawaii
Texas
Arizona
Florida
Georgia
South Carolina
Delaware
North Carolina
Louisiana
These states have pleasant weather.

Last edited by roderickrodkagy; 11-16-2017 at 11:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or