U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-15-2017, 05:38 PM
 
9,379 posts, read 9,536,885 times
Reputation: 5786

Advertisements

What cities have a street named "Main Street" that isn't the Main Street in that City.

In Boston for example there is a Main Street in Charlestown but Washington or Bolyston are probably the actual Main Street of Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-15-2017, 05:40 PM
 
Location: Cbus
1,721 posts, read 1,400,744 times
Reputation: 2089
There's a Main Street in Columbus but the main thoroughfare is High Street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2017, 05:41 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
506 posts, read 338,569 times
Reputation: 1206
There's a Main St. in Los Angeles, but I think Wilshire Blvd. is arguably the main street in LA.

SaMo Blvd. is definitely a runner-up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2017, 06:43 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,131 posts, read 9,903,738 times
Reputation: 6423
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
What cities have a street named "Main Street" that isn't the Main Street in that City.

In Boston for example there is a Main Street in Charlestown but Washington or Bolyston are probably the actual Main Street of Boston.
Just a guess, but maybe it was called Main Street in Charlestown before Charlestown joined with Boston? Charlestown actually has its own history independent of Boston because she only became part of Boston 140 years or so ago but was independent for almost 250 years before that.

There are actually 5 Main Streets in New York City, one in each Borough. The two probably closest to what people think of a typical Main street, are Main Street in Flushing, Queens and the Main Street in Tottenville, Staten Island.

There are also 3 Broadways in NYC that I know of. The famous one runs throughout Manhattan and into the Bronx and continues to Albany as the Albany Post Road. But Brooklyn and Queens each of their own Broadway which are totally unrelated to the famous one in Manhattan. Both the Brooklyn and Queens Broadways run toward what used to be ferry landings to Manhattan, so maybe that has something to do with how they got their name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2017, 08:22 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,582 posts, read 3,997,005 times
Reputation: 2913
You could make the case that Gervais is the real Main Street in Columbia SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2017, 09:59 PM
 
11,456 posts, read 6,575,220 times
Reputation: 6091
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Just a guess, but maybe it was called Main Street in Charlestown before Charlestown joined with Boston? Charlestown actually has its own history independent of Boston because she only became part of Boston 140 years or so ago but was independent for almost 250 years before that.

There are actually 5 Main Streets in New York City, one in each Borough. The two probably closest to what people think of a typical Main street, are Main Street in Flushing, Queens and the Main Street in Tottenville, Staten Island.

There are also 3 Broadways in NYC that I know of. The famous one runs throughout Manhattan and into the Bronx and continues to Albany as the Albany Post Road. But Brooklyn and Queens each of their own Broadway which are totally unrelated to the famous one in Manhattan. Both the Brooklyn and Queens Broadways run toward what used to be ferry landings to Manhattan, so maybe that has something to do with how they got their name.
Manhattan does not have a Main Street to my knowledge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2017, 10:10 PM
 
Location: Downtown & Brooklyn!
2,112 posts, read 1,305,291 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Manhattan does not have a Main Street to my knowledge
I just saw that and was also wondering where that was...

I’m thinking maybe Roosevelt Island? It’s not actually on Manhattan Island, but it still counts as the borough of Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2017, 10:25 PM
 
Location: South Beach and DT Raleigh
11,810 posts, read 18,799,113 times
Reputation: 11136
Raleigh's "Main St." has only existed for a decade or so. It's ironically located in a new urbanism outdoor shopping district that used to be the location of the first enclosed mall between DC and Atlanta.
Many of downtown's main streets are typically named for prominent individuals/families or they indicate the road that led to other cities and towns in the state. Raleigh's ceremonial "main" street is Fayetteville St., which links the Capitol building to the performing arts center. That road, of course, used to the be the one to take to Fayetteville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 03:25 AM
 
Location: Yakima WA
4,403 posts, read 4,606,769 times
Reputation: 3848
There is a Main Street in downtown Las Vegas but it's just a street, nothing special or important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2017, 04:02 AM
 
311 posts, read 218,408 times
Reputation: 342
Main St. in Philadelphia is located in Manayunk, and is the heart of that district. Manayunk was once it's own independent community and still functions as one to a certain extent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top