U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 10:34 PM

17,446 posts, read 23,951,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
I am surprised no one mentioned South Dakota yet.
South Dakota is among the rare that has very little in terms of more and more busy body legislation over the years.
New Hampshire is far less immune, probably due to it being in New England. I am surprised just recently it passed among the New England's toughest bans on cell phone driving
Though another issue is how well states keeps municipalities in control. We shouldn't under estimate the power of one world nanny government invaders. If states gives municipalities too much leniency the lobbyists will eventually turn them to mini Californias/New York's even in a red state. This is really happening in Texas.

Municipal set Trick or treat hours sometimes even days seems something that totally alien to west coasters. Don't know what those east coast cities are thinking but I am glad this trend is not copied in the west coast.
Both Dakotas are pretty bad when it comes to cannabis, more like Iowa than their other neighboring states. South Dakota is also one of the worst states when it comes to incarcerating too many people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 05:31 AM

7,735 posts, read 9,027,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
mmm, I think most of the anti government "nut cases" live in places like Portland and Seattle where there are actual riots against the government that turn violent. You don't see that kind of stuff happening in the three states you mentioned, and I've never met anyone in Idaho who moved to the state because they are anti government lol.

Of interest, is North Dakota has its fair share of militias.
Maybe people in Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming don't riot, but there is no shortage of tinfoil hat wearing paranoid right wingers around. The point here is that extremism on both sides is bad. North Dakota does have militias but it's a far cry from the extremism of all of these places mentioned.

Old 12-01-2017, 06:35 PM

1,152 posts, read 2,614,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Maybe people in Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming don't riot, but there is no shortage of tinfoil hat wearing paranoid right wingers around. The point here is that extremism on both sides is bad. North Dakota does have militias but it's a far cry from the extremism of all of these places mentioned.
LOL, whatever. Did you live in Wyoming or Montana for a bit and now consider yourself a scholar of the people living in those states?

A dozen members of a family living way out in the woods who have a stupid name for their "militia" does not mean the citizens of any said state are extremists. Isn't ND a right wing/red state? There are more people in the Boise CSA than in the state of North Dakota and what you think you know is not the way it is here, it is actually quite the opposite.

I believe that Oregon and Nevada have been in the news the past few years because of a few groups creating militia type shenanigans, not Idaho, Wyoming, or Montana.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:30 PM

7,735 posts, read 9,027,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
LOL, whatever. Did you live in Wyoming or Montana for a bit and now consider yourself a scholar of the people living in those states?

A dozen members of a family living way out in the woods who have a stupid name for their "militia" does not mean the citizens of any said state are extremists. Isn't ND a right wing/red state? There are more people in the Boise CSA than in the state of North Dakota and what you think you know is not the way it is here, it is actually quite the opposite.

I believe that Oregon and Nevada have been in the news the past few years because of a few groups creating militia type shenanigans, not Idaho, Wyoming, or Montana.
16 years in Montana and eight in Wyoming. Not a scholar just reporting what I observed. If you read the posts carefully I rather clearly acknowledged that ND is right wing, but not nearly as in your face about it as MT or WY and I haven't seen any whack jobs yet. And yes, OR and NV have been in the news. Personally I think there are too many bat**** crazy people out west.

Old 12-02-2017, 04:34 PM

613 posts, read 506,925 times
live free or die baby

Old 12-03-2017, 07:23 AM

929 posts, read 296,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post

Municipal set Trick or treat hours sometimes even days seems something that totally alien to west coasters. Don't know what those east coast cities are thinking but I am glad this trend is not copied in the west coast.
I think it only is New Hampshire and southern Maine. And nobody even seems to have an answer as to why they do it. People just follow along like lemmings and obey what actually isn't the law- they just send all their kids out and about the day and times the town tells you to. States like NY have far more ridiculous restrictions in the bigger picture, but this isn't one of them.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:21 AM

21,699 posts, read 23,661,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I found a pretty cool article on regulations by state: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...n_5710135.html

Louisiana and Navada are both 24/7 drinking states. In Missouri you can drink in the car as long as the driver isn't.

Personally I think being able to buy a fith of bourbon at a gas station in Wisconsin/ Illinois/ upper midwest in general at 2am is more awesome/ freer than a 4 am closing time in Chicago.

The issues in Idaho/Montana isn't the closing time of 2am, that's later than New England and much of the south. The issue is you can't buy liquor at the grocery store and in Idaho at least the state has a monopoly on liquor.

I think there is more to being a "Free" state than liquor laws. In Idaho for example you don't need a CCL to pack heat, provided that it is legal for you to posses the firearm you can conceal carry it. The majority of the state is public land, so you are free to use it which is great.

Still, Nevada and Alaska have to be the freest states. Loose laws, and lots of public land.
That was the same link I posted in #12. I really couldn't find any other more comprehensive lists than this and the one in post #21 from the Cato Institute. I suppose the question doesn't get asked too frequently but I think these are a pretty goods ones.

The popular perception sometimes people have of some states being more free than others are way off the mark. There's a difference between being "liberal" and being "free" and I think sometimes people confuse the two.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:37 AM

605 posts, read 467,187 times
Alaska would have to be number one in this criteria. The whole state is pretty libertarian in it's overall outlook from legalizing marijuana for recreational use to allowing permit less concealed/open carry for firearms, plus there are no state sales/income taxes. Full time residents in Alaska even get a check from the state government every year as part of the Alaska Permanent Fund which redistributes oil money to the citizens.

Nevada would have to be second due to legalized prostitution in some counties plus the fact that there are no income taxes in Nevada.

Old 12-03-2017, 06:08 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,707,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
Anyone has seen any study on this?

Free meaning little government restriction: speed limit, building limit, taxes, etc.
Oklahoma. We're made up of the Indian Nations.

The land owned by each Tribe is sovereign soil.

Old 12-19-2017, 10:24 AM

1,385 posts, read 635,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyCrockett View Post
I think it only is New Hampshire and southern Maine. And nobody even seems to have an answer as to why they do it. People just follow along like lemmings and obey what actually isn't the law- they just send all their kids out and about the day and times the town tells you to. States like NY have far more ridiculous restrictions in the bigger picture, but this isn't one of them.
Virginia actually has the worst restriction on that. They actually criminalize violations of that. I am surprised how anyone can say Virginia is "freest" state when they harshly prosecute very minor infractions which may not even be an issue in other states such as driving 80 miles per hour, cannibus, and charity car washes. As well as trick or treating over age and or at wrong time. I heard some places set it at a day that is not even Halloween.

I am guessing in the other states where it is not law they find it easier to prepare candy for trick or treaters if a at a set hour. Interesting this only happens to smaller towns in MA not ones in the metro area such as Boston, Cambridge, Brookline, or Newton.

One advantage NH and some states have is Dillions Rule on Municipalities which well prevents them from gaining too much power. Dillions rule means cities don't have too much power to make new laws the state has to give them authority first. Which is crucial as meddling busy body special interests often choose local government politicians to push their "globalism" nanny world agenda in states reject them. We know in Texas and a number of states this has been the rule that an ever increasing number of cities are becoming mini northeast or mini west coasts. Copying every law that these places has been passing over the years.

Its hard to say which states are immune from the emerging global nanny state as it appears politicians these days are rewarded with overregulation even in the reddest of states and even if the state doesn't its cities may still elect do so. It seems like a global trend with countries or their local government being pressured to jump onboard. Its just matter of whether they give in or not. And the saddest thing is that over the years newer elected officials all over the globe are more and more likely to give in.
Even in South Dakota, which had very little traffic related new legislation all these years in the past seems to giving in too, the worst thing is not that they passed a secondary offense texting rule, which is actually better than a primary one as it only focuses on texters who are breaking other traffic laws and causing a danger. Is that they just gave cities and counties much more power to make much stiffer traffic laws including primary enforcement of state secondary enforcement laws with much stiffer penalties which includes not only fines but even threat of jail time. This would cause an issue for those traveling around the state. I heard Arizona also have such issue as well despite a relatively lax state.

The best states are the ones that not only avoids meddling legislation but keeps municipalities from gaining too much power. We must understand where people expect the governments role. Its not just just about people wanting more or less government as a whole. The government's role Keeping them safe from big bullies, such as big corporates, municipalities, large apartment landlords, and even HOAs which are one of my pet peeves which having increasingly more abusive power and operate with little regard to statuary homeowner's rights and are harder and harder to avoid when purchasing a home. But we don't want them picking on the little ones by telling us what carry out bag we can use to carry out our purchases and how much we must pay the store fo the privilege, or passing laws that making a big fuss out of our everyday living habits or how we choose to raise/protect our children.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 12-19-2017 at 10:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.