Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 03:29 PM

205 posts, read 249,539 times

Advertisements

https://www.freedominthe50states.org/

Cato Institute's 50 freest U.S. states.

Very interesting that New Hampshire would be so free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 01:56 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,398,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
So, in what tangible ways is New Hampshire freer than other states?
Car license plates?

Old 11-27-2017, 02:03 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I'm not saying you're one of these, but Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming tend to attract a lot of anti government nut cases who seem to say those states are free.
So if you question government, that can at times be overbearing, and abusive, you are a nut case?

Old 11-27-2017, 06:37 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
Alaska.
Not surprisingly, with a small population and a large area, it's pretty difficult to enforce a lot of laws so libertarianism rules up there.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:11 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
So, in what tangible ways is New Hampshire freer than other states?
As a resident, a few things that come to mind. a lot do not directly affect me, but its nice to know that as a grown adult I can make decisions on my own without big government telling me to.

Free of a state income tax
Free of a state Sales tax
Free to open carry
Free to conceal carry
Free to marry whatever gender I choose

Free to be an idiot if i choose
-No motorcycle helmet law
-NO adult seat belt law
-No mandatory car insurance laws

NH is far from perfect, but its better than a lot of other states when it comes to freedoms.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:46 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I found a pretty cool article on regulations by state: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...n_5710135.html

Louisiana and Navada are both 24/7 drinking states. In Missouri you can drink in the car as long as the driver isn't.

Personally I think being able to buy a fith of bourbon at a gas station in Wisconsin/ Illinois/ upper midwest in general at 2am is more awesome/ freer than a 4 am closing time in Chicago.

The issues in Idaho/Montana isn't the closing time of 2am, that's later than New England and much of the south. The issue is you can't buy liquor at the grocery store and in Idaho at least the state has a monopoly on liquor.

I think there is more to being a "Free" state than liquor laws. In Idaho for example you don't need a CCL to pack heat, provided that it is legal for you to posses the firearm you can conceal carry it. The majority of the state is public land, so you are free to use it which is great.

Still, Nevada and Alaska have to be the freest states. Loose laws, and lots of public land.
Montana also has laws that make it very difficult to open up a business that serves alcohol. In fact its bureaucracy in this area is even worse than California's, which is saying a lot.

Nevada's definitely the freest state. In general the Mountain West and Northern New England are the freest regions of the US.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:49 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,966,736 times
In the absence of a government, corporations become as powerful as governments--and they're not accountable to democracy.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:06 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
Car license plates?
License plates are an overt sign of regulation and restriction.

Now, if NH became the first state to deregulate vehicle ownership and not require license plates, I'd be impressed.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:21 AM

939 posts, read 505,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
As a resident, a few things that come to mind. a lot do not directly affect me, but its nice to know that as a grown adult I can make decisions on my own without big government telling me to.

Free of a state income tax
Free of a state Sales tax
Free to open carry
Free to conceal carry
Free to marry whatever gender I choose

Free to be an idiot if i choose
-No motorcycle helmet law
-NO adult seat belt law
-No mandatory car insurance laws

NH is far from perfect, but its better than a lot of other states when it comes to freedoms.
Ditto. Many who live in NH don't know how good they have it. Unfortunately with an ever rapidly rising population and different thought processes of what is limited government (and not just an influx from Mass. any more- thanks to all the self-inflicted destruction in states like NY, NJ, RI), there are more and more limitations. And all of states, it is really weird all the liquor you purchase has to come from state run liquor stores- not to mention towns assign Trick-or-Treat times that often times aren't even on October 31st, and for what purpose, god only knows. But overall, New Hampshire is a helluva lot better than the rest of the northeast. From my time spent there, Wyoming imo is way more "live free or die" than New Hampshire.

Old 11-30-2017, 02:52 AM

3,345 posts, read 2,308,612 times
I am surprised no one mentioned South Dakota yet.
South Dakota is among the rare that has very little in terms of more and more busy body legislation over the years.
New Hampshire is far less immune, probably due to it being in New England. I am surprised just recently it passed among the New England's toughest bans on cell phone driving
Though another issue is how well states keeps municipalities in control. We shouldn't under estimate the power of one world nanny government invaders. If states gives municipalities too much leniency the lobbyists will eventually turn them to mini Californias/New York's even in a red state. This is really happening in Texas.

Municipal set Trick or treat hours sometimes even days seems something that totally alien to west coasters. Don't know what those east coast cities are thinking but I am glad this trend is not copied in the west coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.