Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 12:52 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,858,432 times

Advertisements

Miami, LA and Vegas are the most superficial places I ever been to, Rust Belt and Southern cities are the least but they have some status seeking people but the culture is not like LA, Miami and Vegas overall the people are more down to earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 12:55 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,823,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Basically two hours or less outside any city, whether in the PNW, Midwest, or NY-NJ, you are going to find people in Carhartts, sweatpants, and work boots. Or worse... juggalos. :-)

(actually, are juggalos even a thing anymore?)
What's a juggalo? I presume we're not talking about Insane Clown Posse fans.

Old 11-17-2017, 02:00 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,792,498 times
I'm not exactly sure but one thing I know is not all regions, states and cities are the same on this or anything else. Yes you will find all kinds of people in all places but the percentages will be different.

Old 11-17-2017, 02:04 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,311,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
It seems noticeable to me in the PNW, especially CA. The midwest that I've seen may not compare homes and phones and stuff, but there is much of sameness to natives, and a tendency to single out people who are different (different colors, different cultures, different accents). I've seen plenty of superficiality in those regions. Also in CO (partly because of the midwest connection).

I'd think smaller towns in the south, and small / medium-sized towns with diverse cultures, would have the lowest superficiality, in general.
Absolutely, in Portland, OR where I used to live there was competition amongst a growing number of people who want to have what everyone else has to fit in. That's why you see so many Subarus on the streets and expensive grocery stores selling organic food on every corner. Not that those are bad things, but it does show a certain type of conformity amongst the newer more affluent transplants. It's a kind of "keeping up with the Joneses."

Old 11-17-2017, 02:07 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,792,498 times
Although I am a down to earth guy myself who could care less about material status symbols I am pro-superficial. I say that because I associate superficiality with women looking attractive, wearing makeup, sexy outfits etc. I love superficial women.

Old 11-17-2017, 03:12 PM

50 posts, read 30,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
What part of the US is least prone to the mentality of keeping up with the Jones and are least likely to judge others based on the clothes they wear, the cars they drive, the phones rhey own, etc. I think all 50 states are at least somewhat prone to this but not all equally. I personally think this is less prevalent in the Pacific Northwest and the Midwest. What do you think?
Alaska
The Dakotas
Nebraska
Kansas
Oklahoma
Iowa
West Virginia
New Mexico
Utah
Mississippi
Wyoming
Missouri
Kentucky

Old 11-17-2017, 08:27 PM

7,246 posts, read 10,489,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
For instance in the Northeast, Upstate, Pennsylvania and Maine probably have less superficiality overall then the wealthy areas of the NYC, Boston and Washington DC metros. And not everyone in those metros would I describe as superficial. But even so, you could still say that the Northeast in general still has more superficiality then say the Great Plains.
The Northeast Corridor generally (which of course includes the Philly area of Pennsylvania also) is definitely a hotbed of superficiality, which dissipates pretty quickly once you leave the major metro areas.

It's a different brand of the superficiality you tend to find out West or down South, with greater emphasis on appearing highly-educated, intellectual, or possessing esoteric knowledge, as opposed to only ostentatious displays of wealth, although certainly that's not out of the question, either.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:48 PM

6,323 posts, read 4,850,896 times
My impression is that three factors tend to make areas more superficial and judgmental:

- High population density
- High median income
- Strongly partisan politics (either small-town conservative or cosmopolitan liberal)

If this is true, some of the least superficial places in the country would include New England, Colorado, New Mexico, and the West Coast outside the major cities (so, like, central California), plus maybe the Rust Belt. This was certainly my experience when a couple friends and I went to New Mexico for spring break: everyone was very relaxed and open-minded.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:08 PM

295 posts, read 351,737 times
To each and everyone reading this thread. The real answer is: Dearborn, MI. Hands down the only place in the nation where everyone respects another regardless of social class, race, or income.

Dearborn is definitely a hidden down-to-earth place.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:24 PM

10,948 posts, read 6,991,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
If this is true, some of the least superficial places in the country would include ....Colorado.... This was certainly my experience when a couple friends and I went to New Mexico for spring break: everyone was very relaxed and open-minded.
Sometimes a place will seem one way during vacationing and visiting, and quite different when living there and working/interacting with others. Colorado is a perfect example. During all my visits, I thought the people were the nicest on the planet. After moving, the impression changed radically. Behind a lot of smiles and nicey-nice-ness were feelings and opinions that didn't match their faces.

Some areas put a premium on outward niceness (though with inner feelings that might not match), while other areas value realism (what you see is what you get). I discovered that my roots are with the latter.

Lesson: don't assume visiting will match residential living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.