U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 04:08 PM

204 posts, read 162,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Maine, north of the Volvo line.
Agree. Though I would apply it to everywhere in Maine except maybe Portland (though Portland is not NEARLY as superficial as Boston, which to me seems to be the most superficial major city north of the Mason-Dixon line.)

TO ME, the largest cities proper in the Sun Belt are the most superficial, with Los Angeles and Miami being the most superficial. Even a smaller city like Jackson can be extremely superficial. That being said, the South (especially the rural South) is a very real region.

In my mind, either Maine or Vermont would be the least superficial. They just feel Rugged, real-deal, no big money, and have huge swaths of woods for plenty of real-deal types to settle out to get away from the superficiality of the large city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2017, 08:50 AM

721 posts, read 299,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
What part of the US is least prone to the mentality of keeping up with the Jones and are least likely to judge others based on the clothes they wear, the cars they drive, the phones rhey own, etc. I think all 50 states are at least somewhat prone to this but not all equally. I personally think this is less prevalent in the Pacific Northwest and the Midwest. What do you think?
The mid west. They don't seem to want to keep up with the times, and probably couldn't if they wanted to.

Old 11-23-2017, 09:22 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,536,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmerich01 View Post
Agree. Though I would apply it to everywhere in Maine except maybe Portland (though Portland is not NEARLY as superficial as Boston, which to me seems to be the most superficial major city north of the Mason-Dixon line.)

TO ME, the largest cities proper in the Sun Belt are the most superficial, with Los Angeles and Miami being the most superficial. Even a smaller city like Jackson can be extremely superficial. That being said, the South (especially the rural South) is a very real region.

In my mind, either Maine or Vermont would be the least superficial. They just feel Rugged, real-deal, no big money, and have huge swaths of woods for plenty of real-deal types to settle out to get away from the superficiality of the large city.
Boston is he most superfical? I've heard people complain that they get shamed for indulging in expensive things in Boston. People tend to be very modest in Boston.

Old 11-23-2017, 09:23 AM
sub

783 posts, read 407,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambon View Post
The mid west. They don't seem to want to keep up with the times, and probably couldn't if they wanted to.
Many of them do, but thankfully, many do not.
The Jonses and the times aren't always the same thing.

Old 11-25-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Boston is he most superfical? I've heard people complain that they get shamed for indulging in expensive things in Boston. People tend to be very modest in Boston.
I stand corrected. However, in general, I feel that the most superficial places are still in the sunbelt.

From my experience, in the South, the smaller and less complex a city is, the more superficial it is. California, Arizona and New Mexico and are way more border states than anything else, and since they are considered "West" by the census bureau, I would not consider them Southern.

Last edited by emmerich01; 11-25-2017 at 05:53 PM..

Old 11-25-2017, 05:42 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,017,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambon View Post
What an ignorant statement.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:49 PM

1,593 posts, read 832,787 times
I thought LA and Dallas had the most cosmetic surgery.

Old 11-26-2017, 02:45 PM

2,082 posts, read 2,898,733 times
Quote:
From my experience, in the South, the smaller and less complex a city is, the more superficial it is.
As I said in an earlier post, I've only really noticed this in the lowland/deep south. The upland/upper south seems to value function over form when it comes to clothes, houses & vehicles.

Of course, there are exceptions to every rule.

Old 11-26-2017, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
As I said in an earlier post, I've only really noticed this in the lowland/deep south. The upland/upper south seems to value function over form when it comes to clothes, houses & vehicles.

Of course, there are exceptions to every rule.
Your definitely right on that it applies to the Deep South. I concede that you may know better having lived in the Upper South and that I do not certainly know, given I have not lived in the Upper South. Much of what I have said here could easily be said about just the city where I live, which is where I have lived my whole life.

I sense that Maine or Vermont may be the least vain areas of America, probably along with rural areas (not cities) of the Upland South (Middle TN, North and Northeast Alabama, basically all of Kentucky East of the TN River, Blue Ridge, Shenandoah Valley, Appalachia.) I wouldn't include necessarily TN Delta or Jackson Purchase area of Kentucky or the Piedmont region because of the overlap with many Lowland Southern cultures.

You definitely have a valid arguement, GunnerTHB on the upland South being more about function over form in outward appearances.

Old 11-26-2017, 06:40 PM

2,082 posts, read 2,898,733 times
Quote:
Your definitely right on that it applies to the Deep South. I concede that you may know better having lived in the Upper South and that I do not certainly know, given I have not lived in the Upper South. Much of what I have said here could easily be said about just the city where I live, which is where I have lived my whole life.

I sense that Maine or Vermont may be the least vain areas of America, probably along with rural areas (not cities) of the Upland South (Middle TN, North and Northeast Alabama, basically all of Kentucky East of the TN River, Blue Ridge, Shenandoah Valley, Appalachia.) I wouldn't include necessarily TN Delta or Jackson Purchase area of Kentucky or the Piedmont region because of the overlap with many Lowland Southern cultures.

You definitely have a valid arguement, GunnerTHB on the upland South being more about function over form in outward appearances.
Driving through Williamson County, TN a few weeks ago surprised me because of this. I read somewhere that it is the wealthiest county in the nation after adjusting for the cost of living. Despite this, there were many older & modest vehicles on the road.

I grew up where the hills start in Southeast Missouri, and I see more older vehicles on the road there than where I live now in West TN, despite the fact that the area in Missouri is more prosperous & experiences more snow (and more salt as a consequence). As you said, West TN is more lowland than upland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or