U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 03:46 PM

5,853 posts, read 6,526,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Having relatives that go to U of I and visited, I would say this is really dead wrong about Champaign. And one of them is in the Business School now. Downtown Champaign is actually really nice, and has some great restaurants. We were there last week and the restaurants were packed, and they are all pretty charming. Urbana next door is also nice, more funky and interesting. Brick streets and pretty homes near the campus. It is 2 hours south of Chicago, so it is far, but not that far, from the big city.

South Bend near the campus is nice, South Bend has rougher areas in town that have seen better days, but those are not located near the campus. And Anne Arbor is nice, one of the nicer areas of Detroit.
You certainly are far more on track about Chambana than Duke. That said, I find Champaign pales in comparison to other Big Ten college towns like Ann Arbor, Madison, Iowa City, and Bloomington. IMHO all four run rings around C/U
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 11:18 AM

546 posts, read 565,175 times
I went to UI downstate in the late '60s/early '70s and don't know how much it's changed, but I adored the campus. Great school.

Got my master's at ASU and have been living in Phoenix since '73, so I'll address Tempe. It's college town done right. Great shopping on Mill Avenue, and there's Tempe Town Lake nearby (which actually is a filled-in portion of the Salt River, but you can go boating on it.) However, you'd have to deal with May-October heat. There's light rail or bus into Phoenix (Tempe's a suburb.) Lots of activities since it's a suburb of Phoenix. A drive of 2-3 hours during the winter can get you skiing; 6 hours will get you to the coast, although spring break typically is in Mexico.

Question: What's your priority? Is it quality of education? Lifestyle? ASU has a solid business school that's ranked 25th in the country.

If you can't go everywhere, then I'd suggest Youtubing it and seeing whether any campuses immediately stand out to you or don't appeal to you at all.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or