U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 03:25 PM

16 posts, read 8,533 times

Advertisements

I'm in the same boat being done with my area (northeast Ohio). I'm planning on moving to either Nashville or Philadelphia by the end of 2018
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 03:35 PM

8,985 posts, read 4,111,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Thereís a tipping point of sorts when dozens of little things start to pile up. In my case it was a bunch of things but no huge thing. My town was a great place to raise kids but my kids were grown and werenít going to stay there. It was a small town but was smaller than it appeared with a lot of intolerant conservatism and judgemental people. It was getting worse over time economically and socially...businesses are going belly up. Expenses were low and nothing to spend money on anyway. Drugs and gangs are moving in. It was the state capital with an increasingly toxic political atmosphere. It was 150 miles to a big city. I had good friends there that I stay in touch with but no relatives. Being retired, there was no reason to endure the place any longer. Iím sure there are worse places in the world.
Sounds like you are describing Oklahoma City. So many small annoyances about this place add up to make it hardly tolerable on some days. One thing it always had going for it was being a great place to raise a family, but even that is going out the window because the state refuses to fund education (yet has the money to sue Colorado for legalizing marijuana and defend anti-abortion and anti-LGBT laws in court). What hurts the most about the entire situation is that I had moved away and voluntarily moved back and now I am stuck.

Old 11-21-2017, 04:29 PM

1,176 posts, read 658,601 times
I wouldn't so much as say done with Philadelphia, but I am ready to try something new. I've been living in the area, first in the suburbs for college and then moved to the city, for the last 7 1/2 years. I have a good job here and good friends, but after spending time abroad in Shanghai this summer and spending a lot of time in New York over the years, I think it's time for something newer and bigger. Luckily I can find good-paying work in my field as an English speaker anywhere in the world, so my options are basically whatever I want them to be.

Old 11-22-2017, 09:56 AM

5,952 posts, read 6,855,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I thought I'd go hiking and such more than I have. I'm on call 1/4 weekends.
People and employers really underestimate the effects of being on call. Even if you get zero calls, it still has a pretty significant impact on your life.

I went from being on call 1/3 weeks to 365/year. I actually prefer the latter, because the expectation to be available at the drop of a hat is removed. Nobody reasonably expects a 15 or 30 minute response time all year long, but they feel that it is reasonable for a few days or a week at a time. I was uncomfortable even going to the grocery store while on call, let making a road trip, hike, bike ride, going to a movie, etc. (you know, living life...)

Old 11-22-2017, 03:46 PM
sub

787 posts, read 408,676 times
I'm done with the Ozarks.
Just....so....depressing...
Outsiders move here and claim they love it, but I think they must be on something...

Old 11-22-2017, 05:11 PM

5,183 posts, read 3,717,203 times
Ha, my problem is that I can live anywhere I want as long as I'm an hour from a major airport. Thoughts of where we could move never leave my head, lol. I guess that's a good problem to have though...

We bailed out of Atlanta a couple years ago and moved back to Chicago. No regrets, but I'm always looking at the map thinking, maybe we should try city x or city z.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:53 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,929,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I live in northeast TN. I have a good job by local standards, earning twice median household income as a single guy, in a fairly easy and semi-stable job. I have it easy compared to a lot of folks.

I used to live in urban Midwestern areas. There are many, many things I miss about being in mainstream America. I'm a little over an hour from the nearest metropolitan area (Asheville) of consequence, and 3+ hours away from a major airport, pro-sports, etc. I lived in Indianapolis for three years and went to dozens of NBA games at mostly <$10/ticket. I went to lots of concerts.

There were lots of things to do in Indianapolis that cannot be replicated here without a half day's drive. Emotionally, I'm done with east TN. There is nothing for me. Nothing positive has happened in my year back here. There's no reason to believe things will materially change over the near future.

Have you ever just been emotionally exhausted by where you're at and need a change of scenery?

So can identify with your post....Left Charlotte for Phoenix almost 4yrs. ago....Felt the same way you did...I had outgrown Charlotte. Been there, done that to everything in Charlotte. Needed a change of scenery. Naysayers said I would be back after a year....Lets just say it all worked out.....Go with your gut when it comes to these types of situations. ONLY you know what's good and right for you.

Old 11-23-2017, 01:22 PM

2,865 posts, read 1,257,703 times
Oh yeah, I've been in the same situation and it isn't a good place to be

I lived around the Jackson, TN area and it just didn't "fit" me very well.

Summer seemed to last nearly year-round and I am a 4-season person who loves the Fall and winter.

The food didn't appeal to me at all, the scenery with flat lands wasn't for me, and just the local culture turned me off.

I targeted the Erie, PA area and it took about 9 months but I landed a job in this area and I LOVE living here I also would have been happy with my home area of Central NY or northern VT.

Old 11-25-2017, 06:55 PM

3,784 posts, read 3,003,697 times
The OP's "location, location, location" thought hit me on the heat pretty well too.

I currently live in Bradenton, FL. I suppose there's nothing massively horrible about it, but there's just a slow feel to things here that doesn't really line up with what I like that well (not a party type, but would like to be in a more happening place.

Of course, we aren't completely isolated by comparison. I'm about 30 minutes to Saint Petersburg (MLB, artsy/walkable side of TB), and 45 minutes from Tampa (primary town in TB area, other services/things I didn't mention are there). I'm also about 90 minutes from Disney (closer to 2 hrs. from Orlando, where I lived before and have more connections, and a touch over 3 hours from Miami (nearest "alpha" city, enjoyed my last trip there and the bigger/distinct feel of some things), Saint Augustine (nearest "European-esque" town, at least on a small, block by block, touristy level), and the Suwannee River section of the Florida Trail (closest hiking that isn't COMPLETELY flat).

However, there are pitfalls though. For one thing, certain things are, just, ya know, further. Like, we are surrounded by southern/Sun Belt US. It's about a 14 hr. drive to get to DC or Cincinnati (closest places in different regions), and are quite removed from actual mountains (like 8ish hours to closest of the Appalachians), in some senses, parts of Latin America (Havana, Cartagena, Mexico City) I suppose actually feel closer than they do to other parts of the US, and so we are taking advantage of that aspect (great nonstop airfare rates to those places!) and traveling to MC in March, but still.

Also, there's a sense in which you are only able to do so much if it isn't within a half hour, and St Pete/Tampa, while I'm there more than most in this area I'm sure, are just outside of the range where I could go up there all the time and have that connection with them. I'm looking at moving at very least 20-25 minutes north so that I can make more regular/easier trips up to Tampa and it's amenities and work opportunities. Another problem for me is the lack of trails/park space immediately around me. Perhaps I'm spoiled, but wherever I've lived to this point, I've had some type of protected bike path within 10 minutes, and numerous hiking options within 15-20. Now, here, to get to a nice hiking spot, it's almost a half hour, and likewise for getting to a protected bike trail. That is something I'd like to be closer to. Being within 5 minutes of a library would be nice, also.

More to the point, the type of place I would thoroughly enjoy living would be relatively urban (not perhaps overwhelmingly or even predominantly so, but a place that has a relative decent amount of walkable historic areas, transit options, etc. (even my home city of Cleveland, while not an absolute leader in this, would suffice great in this regard for me), relatively scenery filled (I like deciduous forests, geologic features, topography, beaches might be bonus but are lower on list for me), and a place where it isn't excessively hot for a significant portion of the year. I can't exactly say I'm done with my current area, since I am happily married, and I am doing everything in my power to live in moment and enjoy the area. But, with that being said, I know that at very least, I feel like I could do better on where I am living within my current region (again, hoping to move even 20-25 minutes north, and the benefits/things that will put me closer to on a regular basis).

Old 11-25-2017, 09:41 PM

20,847 posts, read 35,948,307 times
Absolutely. I have used my time to build up experience in my career field, but have no interest in staying in IN/ Ohio Valley region for the long-term, and would not recommend most people to move here either as I believe many other parts of the US have a much greater overall quality of life. I am looking at moving North to the Upper Midwest again or somewhere similar in the next year or two. You might pay a bit more in taxes, but overall quality of life is far greater, and jobs are better paying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or