U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 04:12 PM

7,743 posts, read 9,044,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I live in northeast TN. I have a good job by local standards, earning twice median household income as a single guy, in a fairly easy and semi-stable job. I have it easy compared to a lot of folks.

I used to live in urban Midwestern areas. There are many, many things I miss about being in mainstream America. I'm a little over an hour from the nearest metropolitan area (Asheville) of consequence, and 3+ hours away from a major airport, pro-sports, etc. I lived in Indianapolis for three years and went to dozens of NBA games at mostly <$10/ticket. I went to lots of concerts.

There were lots of things to do in Indianapolis that cannot be replicated here without a half day's drive. Emotionally, I'm done with east TN. There is nothing for me. Nothing positive has happened in my year back here. There's no reason to believe things will materially change over the near future.

Have you ever just been emotionally exhausted by where you're at and need a change of scenery?
Montana was this way for me. I got tired of the low wages, high cost of living, in your face conservative politics, and the fantasy world that so many residents lived in. Great state to visit, lousy to live in. I eventually got tired of Wyoming due to the same thing with politics, slow pace of life (read laziness), the unwillingness to help each other out, and drinking, drugging, and reproducing that were the main hobbies in the town I lived in.

I moved to North Dakota and it's been amazing. Good down to earth people who aren't in your face with politics, they help you out, are hard working, I can afford to live here, and people do more than drink, drug, and get pregnant or get people pregnant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 01:10 PM

448 posts, read 422,047 times
I lived in Salt Lake City. After about 10 long years of living in Utah I took off. For long I could not stand the slow paced, lack of nightlife, nanny, finger waving lifestyle of the area. About 10 years later, not much has changed.

Old 12-02-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latino_esq View Post
I lived in Salt Lake City. After about 10 long years of living in Utah I took off. For long I could not stand the slow paced, lack of nightlife, nanny, finger waving lifestyle of the area. About 10 years later, not much has changed.
I used to go to Salt Lake on a somewhat regular basis. You couldn't pay me enough to live there.

Old 12-02-2017, 11:22 AM

2,811 posts, read 1,308,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photostoresheila View Post
I've lived in Dallas for three years now and heading back home to NYC in the next few months. We really took for granted things in NYC like public transportation, sidewalks, street life, and diversity. Moving here made me realize that I hate driving and that it feels very lonely walking for blocks and not seeing another pedestrian. There's also a pretty big problem with the homeless here in Dallas, lots of homeless taking synthetic marijuana and ODing. Part of why we chose Dallas was because of the mild winters but the summers here are so long and so oppressive that I would rather deal with the crappy winters in NYC than go through another summer in Dallas. Overall, I don't regret moving here (if anything it made me more appreciative of NYC) but I am glad to be leaving.
I understand your complaints about Dallas, I hate the weather here as well, but diversity shouldn't be one of them. DFW very diverse. Irving, the close in burb I recently moved to from uptown is super diverse:

41.4% Hispanic
24.1% White alone
19.6% Asian alone
11.4%Black alone
2.1%Two or more races

If that isn't diverse enough for you, you probably won't be happy any place besides Queens.

If you didn't encounter diversity on a daily basis in DFW then its because you decided not to, and even then, I have no idea how you could "Avoid" it.

It always confuses me that people from NYC expect other places to be like NYC, it's like coming from Colorado and being surprised that there are no mountains....like, what did you expect?

Old 12-02-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I understand your complaints about Dallas, I hate the weather here as well, but diversity shouldn't be one of them. DFW very diverse. Irving, the close in burb I recently moved to from uptown is super diverse:

41.4% Hispanic
24.1% White alone
19.6% Asian alone
11.4%Black alone
2.1%Two or more races

If that isn't diverse enough for you, you probably won't be happy any place besides Queens.

If you didn't encounter diversity on a daily basis in DFW then its because you decided not to, and even then, I have no idea how you could "Avoid" it.

It always confuses me that people from NYC expect other places to be like NYC, it's like coming from Colorado and being surprised that there are no mountains....like, what did you expect?
I don't get why diversity matters in a location.

Old 12-03-2017, 04:06 AM

825 posts, read 1,299,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I don't understand it either. At least 75% of moving threads on here and elsewhere have "OMG DIVERSITY OR BUST" in the OP. And their ages likely in their late 20s and up. Sad. Shouldn't jobs, crime rate, access to basic services and even public transportation be much more of a priority?

To answer the topic, I was done with SE Pennsylvania. SEPTA is trash unless you're on regional rail(which is about 20 miles away from where I live in Western MontCo, which is a dive, take a guess where), COL isn't a bargain, the job market in my field--blue collar/industrial--is limited and the wages that go along with it are a joke compared to the Midwest, and the transplants from Philthy, Jersey and NYC bringing their traffic and behavior were/are getting annoying. I was considering Pittsburgh, Cincy, Indy, Jacksonville(got fam there and I'm more familiar with the city) and even Charlotte.

Fortunately I found a job at a plant that's a 20-minute walk from my apt. Starting out as a temp but once I get hired on to perm by the spring, I'd be making more per hour than I would be at my previous warehouse job where I've worked since 2013. With better benefits and less labor involved. My apt's in a dive hood but after I get hired to perm I'll have enough money to move to a better spot, and maybe a car by the summer. The rent isn't cheap around here for even a 1BR--comparable to Charlotte at worst-- but it's not impossible when I get my raise in the spring. The further west you go the more affordable it gets.

That said, if I can land a job opportunity from the Midwest I'm outta here. Otherwise PA(outside of Philthy and the immediate burbs) would do. The state outside of Philthy isn't that bad even if we have regressive local wage taxes.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
I don't understand it either. At least 75% of moving threads on here and elsewhere have "OMG DIVERSITY OR BUST" in the OP. And their ages likely in their late 20s and up. Sad. Shouldn't jobs, crime rate, access to basic services and even public transportation be much more of a priority?

To answer the topic, I was done with SE Pennsylvania. SEPTA is trash unless you're on regional rail(which is about 20 miles away from where I live in Western MontCo, which is a dive, take a guess where), COL isn't a bargain, the job market in my field--blue collar/industrial--is limited and the wages that go along with it are a joke compared to the Midwest, and the transplants from Philthy, Jersey and NYC bringing their traffic and behavior were/are getting annoying. I was considering Pittsburgh, Cincy, Indy, Jacksonville(got fam there and I'm more familiar with the city) and even Charlotte.

Fortunately I found a job at a plant that's a 20-minute walk from my apt. Starting out as a temp but once I get hired on to perm by the spring, I'd be making more per hour than I would be at my previous warehouse job where I've worked since 2013. With better benefits and less labor involved. My apt's in a dive hood but after I get hired to perm I'll have enough money to move to a better spot, and maybe a car by the summer. The rent isn't cheap around here for even a 1BR--comparable to Charlotte at worst-- but it's not impossible when I get my raise in the spring. The further west you go the more affordable it gets.

That said, if I can land a job opportunity from the Midwest I'm outta here. Otherwise PA(outside of Philthy and the immediate burbs) would do. The state outside of Philthy isn't that bad even if we have regressive local wage taxes.
Yes, job availability, decent wages, and cost of living trump everything. I hope you can get to the Midwest. Midwestern people are the best.

Old 12-03-2017, 05:52 PM

1,043 posts, read 727,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
I'll agree to disagree about the state of Philly and SEPA, as I only wanted to respond to answer your prompt to take a guess at where you live: somewhere along the 422 corridor. Having Regional Rail service to at least Pottstown (with Reading and Wyomissing in future phases) would be a better investment than KOP rail. I would rather see mass transit funds allocated to the city for subway expansion; however, extending the Manayunk/Norristown Line to Pottstown, the Media/Elwyn Line to West Chester, and the Warminster Line to New Hope would be worthwhile suburban projects.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:22 PM

825 posts, read 1,299,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan2013 View Post
I'll agree to disagree about the state of Philly and SEPA, as I only wanted to respond to answer your prompt to take a guess at where you live: somewhere along the 422 corridor. Having Regional Rail service to at least Pottstown (with Reading and Wyomissing in future phases) would be a better investment than KOP rail. I would rather see mass transit funds allocated to the city for subway expansion; however, extending the Manayunk/Norristown Line to Pottstown, the Media/Elwyn Line to West Chester, and the Warminster Line to New Hope would be worthwhile suburban projects.
Bolds=correct answer.

SEPTA's bus service out here is trash. Late/no-shows, stench of urine, stains on seats from who knows where, incompetent drivers who act like they own the road but endanger the passengers in the process. Extending the RR into WC and Pottstown makes sense as the bus service is garbage and an alternative is needed, but do not extend it into Berks County. Gentrifying midtown Pottstown is fine but jacking up rents and bringing more unnecessary traffic into areas that don't need it won't solve anything.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:24 AM

2,811 posts, read 1,308,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I don't think it's the most important factor at all, and honestly I think it is over rated by people who feel like by having "diversity" around them helps them pretend to be a citizen of the world or helps them create a self narrative of themselves being more cosmopolitan or less racist than they actually are. Call it "Diversity as an amenity" if you like.

I met a dude that was so woke, he said he made an extra effort to date only women of color because he wanted "diverse dating experiences" and wanted to try to spread his privilege/ understand people without his privilege.

I know I would hate to find out I was being dated as a affirmative action/ sociology experiment.

I think diversity is often a positive thing, I'm not opposed to it at all, I have a wide range of friends and neighbors but I fundamentally disagree with people who say "Diversity is our greatest strength" It isn't.

Shared values, including the ones that allow for: differences of opinion, different religious preferences and tolerance of people with different backgrounds are our greatest strength.

I live on a street that has Catholics, Protestants, Atheists, Hindus and Muslims on it. Black, White, South Asian, East Asian, Hispanic, pretty diverse. We don't get along because of our differences, we get along because we all share the values of tolerance, getting along and we share the same laws. Shared values are the only way that diversity can exist.

Values are far from universal, globally there is actually a wide range of what is fundamentally ok and not ok.

But back to my main point: DFW has tons of diversity, just not the Instagram type.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or