U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 07:21 AM

1,518 posts, read 704,421 times

Advertisements

There is indeed some evidence that Latinos are not only assimilating into mainstream US society, but white society.

The Latino Flight to Whiteness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 05:20 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,575,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Nah bro.....this is just what white privilege lets you believe to feel more comfortable with the dynamic of disparity in race in the US. Also pundits like Hannity or Beck have brainwashed this thought into yours and many of our other fellow white American's minds.

Most ironically; in the same breath as saying "Obama's elitist and doesn't care about the poor black people like he says he does"...they'll say "Obama hates rich white people and wants to punish us"... Which was it?

Hispanics in the eastern/northern tier of the US tend to be from Puerto Rico and have a more white appearance. Those in the Southwest tend to be from Southern/Western Mexico and deeper into Central America and tend to be of a darker skin tone. The first typically put "White" on the census; the latter largely put "some other race".

After a couple generations; chances are the white-hispanics in the Northeast will probably just be "white"; much like Italians and Eastern Europeans before them.
Actually, Puerto Rican/Dominican-Americans are further removed from white Americans socially than Mexican-Americans are. Mexican-Americans are morr likely to date white Americans and are more likely to be into "white" things like rock music.

Some Puerto Ricans and Dominicans look white but most are mulatto (leaning towards white) looking.

Old 11-18-2017, 05:22 PM

8,046 posts, read 5,888,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Before you comment, I am not referring that Hispanic is a race on its own. I'm referring to the fact that the census groups Hispanics and whites, while so many Hispanics are of Native American origin as well as the ones that are of black origin.
Here's an idea, everybody send in a sample to 23andMe and give the results to the census taker?

Old 11-18-2017, 07:19 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,106,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
haha. The census should just stop grouping people based on race/ethnicity. It is meaningless. I honestly don't know what it can potentially achieve. The white people don't share one common culture. The black Americans and the black immigrants from Africa don't share anything in common except skin color. Why does the government need to know how many black people it has?

People are bound together by economic status. A rich black American is closer to a rich white American than to a poor black American.

People are brainwashed into thinking it is race that makes people similar, as if black people think in a similar way and Latinos would agree on most issues. No, people with similar economic status have common interest, not with those who have the same skin color.
In the U.S. there are protections given to racial minorities through the Voting Rights Act to protect them from political discrimination.

The Census Bureau asks racial questions to actually help give racial minorities power.

For example, in Southern States the GOP majority cannot take a Black-majority town and split it into 5-10 White-majority towns to diminish Black political representation. Conversely, the GOP majority can't create 99% Black political districts so that Blacks are "packed" and lose political influence. In both cases, the Census data is what's used to determine when the GOP is going too far in discriminating against people of color.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:24 PM

12,351 posts, read 7,503,405 times
I worked nearly a year as a general office clerk for the 2010 Census; the classifications for ethnicity were somewhat overlapping, and could be very confusing; Questions #8 and #9 dealt most directly with these issues -- persons of color and/or Hispanic origin could choose among several categories, and the countries of origin for Asians were well-defined and several in number. But there was also a write-in for people who didn't "fit the mold", and essentially, if someone wanted to describe themselves as "Martian", "Martian" was what got submitted with the questionnaire. Presumably, this was later address from further up in the chain of command, but I have no idea how.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 11-18-2017 at 07:36 PM..

Old 11-19-2017, 12:38 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,626,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Actually, Puerto Rican/Dominican-Americans are further removed from white Americans socially than Mexican-Americans are. Mexican-Americans are morr likely to date white Americans and are more likely to be into "white" things like rock music.

Some Puerto Ricans and Dominicans look white but most are mulatto (leaning towards white) looking.
I agree, it's going to take a lot of mixing for Caribbean Hispanics to ever be considered white in America (especially Dominicans). Even when they are lighter skinned Caribbean Hispanics have very strong African features, whether it's facial structure or hair texture.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:59 AM

11,456 posts, read 6,575,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
I agree, it's going to take a lot of mixing for Caribbean Hispanics to ever be considered white in America (especially Dominicans). Even when they are lighter skinned Caribbean Hispanics have very strong African features, whether it's facial structure or hair texture.
I wouldn't say "very strong" necessarily but I agree with your point. For instance I work with a Puerto Rican woman who has light skin but she's very obviously not a white chick.

It's not literal skin color that matters, Italian and Greek people can be swarthy but they're still white.

And PRs/DRs are definitely less likely to mingle with whites than Mexicans and South Americans, though it's not uncommon.

Mestizo and mulatto Hispanics will never be considered white, but what could change is that that they could become more successful on average.

Some South American Hispanic groups in the US could already be considered "model minorities" (I hate that term but whatever), I found out that Peruvian Americans are almost as likely as Jewish and Indian Americans to graduatr college.

Old 11-20-2017, 01:32 PM

29,900 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Poor black people pretend Obama or the black seniors will represent them and keep voting for them.
Huh? Almost all politicians are relatively well-off, so why are you even making a distinction by race? You think poor White folks aren't doing the same?

We pretty much see your agenda here.

Old 11-20-2017, 04:38 PM

6,060 posts, read 3,381,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
I'm Cuban and most of us in the states, especially the ones who have been here longer, are pretty damn white. I don't have any African features but why would I, its a small percentage of my DNA. I do have cousins with much clearer African features, but most of my relatives, especially older ones, are overwhelmingly European in DNA and phenotype. Puerto Ricans its more half-and-half in my experience, but I agree about Dominicans. I'm sure in the DR's case, bordering Haiti has something to do with it.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:46 PM

1,185 posts, read 874,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
You're really missing the point, the census asks a race question AND a Hispanic origin question. So everyone picks their own race and whether or not they're Hispanic. But a lot of mestizos in the US are unaware of their racial origins or are confused by the form. Also, while picking white and Native American would make the most sense for most of these people, one might think that they're referring to US Native American from that option, even though it means all of the Americas.

So while a huge chunk of Hispanics in the US pick "white" on the census, that does not mean they identify as white, aside from the ones that actually are white.
The question isn't that specific. It asks RACE and ETHNICITY. Ethnicity can be Hispanic, but it can also be German, Dutch, English, Korean, Vietnamese, Japanese, etc. You can pick whatever you want. A large percentage of mestizos pick OTHER for their race, instead of selecting European and American Indian. I don't know why, I guess many don't understand the question because race is classified differently in their culture. Look at any city with a large hispanic population, especially ones with lots of recent immigrants, and you'll see that a large percentage of the population identifies their race as other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or