Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 01:54 AM

9,768 posts, read 6,418,274 times

Advertisements

Before you comment, I am not referring that Hispanic is a race on its own. I'm referring to the fact that the census groups Hispanics and whites, while so many Hispanics are of Native American origin as well as the ones that are of black origin. Why does a Hispanic that is almost full blooded Myan end up going down as white on the census? I completely understand not using Hispanic as its own race. Hispanics come of different races and should be grouped to its specific race instead of being dubbed white. The listings go as far as stating "white" and "non Hispanic white". There are simply Hispanics that are white and Hispanics that aren't white. If they want to not group Hispanics in the listings, by all means that's okay. But group each hispanic into the race he falls under instead of dubbing him automatically "a Hispanic white".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 02:45 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,404,509 times
You're really missing the point, the census asks a race question AND a Hispanic origin question. So everyone picks their own race and whether or not they're Hispanic. But a lot of mestizos in the US are unaware of their racial origins or are confused by the form. Also, while picking white and Native American would make the most sense for most of these people, one might think that they're referring to US Native American from that option, even though it means all of the Americas.

So while a huge chunk of Hispanics in the US pick "white" on the census, that does not mean they identify as white, aside from the ones that actually are white.

Old 11-18-2017, 02:46 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,800,136 times
I thought the Census classifies Hispanics as either white or black (such as Afro-Cubans). I never heard that they automatically say all are white. Perhaps they should add a third group for those who are mostly Indian.

From what I have seen from 23andme genetic testing results most Hispanics are closer to being white than any other race. I incorrectly thought most were a 50/50 mix of european and Indian...but european DNA dominates in genetic testing.

Old 11-18-2017, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I thought the Census classifies Hispanics as either white or black (such as Afro-Cubans). I never heard that they automatically say all are white. Perhaps they should add a third group for those who are mostly Indian.

From what I have seen from 23andme genetic testing results most Hispanics are closer to being white than any other race. I incorrectly thought most were a 50/50 mix of european and Indian...but european DNA dominates in genetic testing.
Mexico's gene pool, for instance, is actually close to an even split between white and native, with a tiny bit of African

Old 11-18-2017, 02:52 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,653,976 times
haha. The census should just stop grouping people based on race/ethnicity. It is meaningless. I honestly don't know what it can potentially achieve. The white people don't share one common culture. The black Americans and the black immigrants from Africa don't share anything in common except skin color. Why does the government need to know how many black people it has?

People are bound together by economic status. A rich black American is closer to a rich white American than to a poor black American.

People are brainwashed into thinking it is race that makes people similar, as if black people think in a similar way and Latinos would agree on most issues. No, people with similar economic status have common interest, not with those who have the same skin color.

Old 11-18-2017, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
haha. The census should just stop grouping people based on race/ethnicity. It is meaningless. I honestly don't know what it can potentially achieve. The white people don't share one common culture. The black Americans and the black immigrants from Africa don't share anything in common except skin color. Why does the government need to know how many black people it has?

People are bound together by economic status. A rich black American is closer to a rich white American than to a poor black American.

People are brainwashed into thinking it is race that makes people similar, as if black people think in a similar way and Latinos would agree on most issues. No, people with similar economic status have common interest, not with those who have the same skin color.
That's really not true. Race in the US is a way bigger factor than economic status in terms of relations.

Old 11-18-2017, 04:34 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,653,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
That's really not true. Race in the US is a way bigger factor than economic status in terms of relations.
True, but only because people THINK they have common interest with others of the same race, when in fact they don't. It is wealth that fundamentally differentiate people.

For example, at least in the 21st century, the rich will try to implement policy to benefit the rich, not "Caucasians". A tax rate change will impact people of different income differently, not by race. Yet people still stupidly think it is race that matters. Poor black people pretend Obama or the black seniors will represent them and keep voting for them.

Old 11-18-2017, 06:46 AM

92,326 posts, read 122,573,532 times
Quote:

It is tied to funding of communities, as race and economic status are tied together in a socio-historical sense.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:02 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,158,649 times
Slightly off topic:

I wonder if there's going to be a separate category for Arabs for the 2020 census. When you think about it, Arabs have a similar history to latinos, as they consist of a bunch of nationalities with a common language and come in different shades of colors. But unlike latinos(who have a choice to pick whether they are white, black, or Asian racially) Arabs are "white", although they are socially(especially if they are Muslim) treated as minorities. Either they officially be categorized as their own ethnicity or, fall under the rather broad category of Asian(like Indians and Pakistanis) or even African.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:17 AM

6,328 posts, read 5,423,308 times
Quote:
True, but only because people THINK they have common interest with others of the same race, when in fact they don't. It is wealth that fundamentally differentiate people.

For example, at least in the 21st century, the rich will try to implement policy to benefit the rich, not "Caucasians". A tax rate change will impact people of different income differently, not by race. Yet people still stupidly think it is race that matters. Poor black people pretend Obama or the black seniors will represent them and keep voting for them.
Nah bro.....this is just what white privilege lets you believe to feel more comfortable with the dynamic of disparity in race in the US. Also pundits like Hannity or Beck have brainwashed this thought into yours and many of our other fellow white American's minds.

Most ironically; in the same breath as saying "Obama's elitist and doesn't care about the poor black people like he says he does"...they'll say "Obama hates rich white people and wants to punish us"... Which was it?

Hispanics in the eastern/northern tier of the US tend to be from Puerto Rico and have a more white appearance. Those in the Southwest tend to be from Southern/Western Mexico and deeper into Central America and tend to be of a darker skin tone. The first typically put "White" on the census; the latter largely put "some other race".

After a couple generations; chances are the white-hispanics in the Northeast will probably just be "white"; much like Italians and Eastern Europeans before them.

Last edited by TarHeelNick; 11-18-2017 at 07:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.