U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 05:19 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,831,191 times

Advertisements

Try the Gulf Coast. The East Coast is getting way too blue. It's become a northern city suburb with all of the transplants. The gulf is a lot cheaper and checks all of your boxes. There is even a decent sized Vietnamese population originated by the fisherman that immigrated to the region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 05:42 AM

276 posts, read 246,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
You might actually really like Redding, Ca. Not as ethnically diverse as you might like as far as cuisine, but otherwise hits all your markers.

Don't completely dismiss CA, without considering the upsides. Property tax increases are regulated to no more than 2% per year, per Prop 13. Also, CA does take care of its citizens...
Just went and checked if there were any big changes in CA that might tempt me to return...

Nope.

I guess I'll be checking out the cities in SC, FL. Savannah, GA seems like a great place, but seems to lack beaches and sailing. I know they weren't necessarily requirements on my list but they're on my mind.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:06 AM

23,127 posts, read 35,070,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neosec View Post
Just went and checked if there were any big changes in CA that might tempt me to return...

Nope.

I guess I'll be checking out the cities in SC, FL. Savannah, GA seems like a great place, but seems to lack beaches and sailing. I know they weren't necessarily requirements on my list but they're on my mind.
Savannah (and Georgia) does actually have beaches. Unlike SC and FL, however, they don't have beaches that are contiguous; instead, the coast is broken up into barrier islands, and many are not easily accessible to the public (this is true of the southern half of the SC coast as well). So in GA, Savannah does have Tybee Island (which is charming) and Brunswick has the Golden Isles (St. Simons, Jekyll and Sea Islands). And yes, we do have sailing; there are three marinas in the Brunswick/Golden Isles area alone.

http://www.brunswickga.org/data1/images/imagejqr2.jpg

Old 11-19-2017, 03:11 PM

1,868 posts, read 720,300 times
Default South Texas

Take a look at Texas. Especially the Rio Grande Valley. I live in the Mcallen area. Mcallen is almost as far south as Miami, Florida. The coldest month is January with an average high of 71 and a low of 50.

The cost of living is very low. Quite a few different restaurants around. The beach (South Padre Island) is only about an hour and a half away (close enough to enjoy, but far enough away from hurricanes).

Summers are very hot but dry. Easier to take than in Florida though. I would rather endure 102 degrees in Mcallen to 86 humid degrees in Sarasota. Nevertheless, I spend part of the summer at my Michigan home.

Research it on the Internet and see what you think.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:36 AM

44,953 posts, read 36,237,009 times
What about Knoxville, TN? Also might consider Huntsville AL or Columbus GA or some other southern cities that are a bit further north and closer to the Appalachians - I speak from experience when I say the most humid place I've ever lived and the most miserable summer I've ever spent was in Clemson, SC. You don't know humid till you live in either South Carolina or Louisiana.

That being said, winters are a lot milder than you'll find in PA.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:20 AM

7,592 posts, read 4,014,719 times
Knoxville is more humid than Clemson / Greenville SC.

https://outflux.net/weather/noaa/ind...66%3BFORID%3A9

Old 11-21-2017, 04:34 AM

44,953 posts, read 36,237,009 times
[quote=Simpsonvilllian;50180814]Knoxville is more humid than Clemson / Greenville SC.

OK. But it's the heat AND humidity that's a killer in SC - the combination - for me, anyway. Knoxville isn't as hot as Clemson or Greenville, SC. And it's not as humid and hot as the coastal cities in SC (Clemson and Greenville are further inland).

Old 11-21-2017, 04:58 AM

18,927 posts, read 6,885,687 times
[quote=KathrynAragon;50188655]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Knoxville is more humid than Clemson / Greenville SC.

OK. But it's the heat AND humidity that's a killer in SC - the combination - for me, anyway. Knoxville isn't as hot as Clemson or Greenville, SC. And it's not as humid and hot as the coastal cities in SC (Clemson and Greenville are further inland).
Dewpoint matters more than relative humidity, as far as comfort.

Let's take Knoxville which has a normal high of 88 and normal dewpoint of 67 in July, which is an afternoon humidity of 49%, and Columbia which has a normal high of 93 and a normal dewpoint of 70 in July, which is an afternoon humidity of 46%

The 70 dewpoint in Columbia will feel worse than the 67 dewpoint in Knoxville. And for heat index, it would be 91 in Knoxville and 99 in Columbia, that is quite a difference!

Old 11-21-2017, 05:13 PM

3,621 posts, read 1,538,253 times
My recommendation would be the Tampa Bay. I'll throw in Charleston, SC, but their cost of living isn't as attractive as it use to be.

Old 11-22-2017, 08:32 AM

1,283 posts, read 753,544 times
I'm in Raleigh, NC. Former Northeasterner myself. I hate the cold, 80s is my perfect weather. Have also lived in Atlanta and South Florida.

Wilmington, NC will probably be a bit too cold for you during the winter, but it's a nice town. Charleston is pretty expensive. West Coast of Florida will likely yield the best options for you and the winter weather there is as close to perfect as you'll find on the East Coast. Given your budget and the fact that you don't mind doing repairs, you could check out Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda. Fort Myers may even have some options for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or