U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-22-2017, 08:40 AM
 
5,939 posts, read 6,759,153 times
Reputation: 15317

Advertisements

Johnson City, TN (no income tax but not as gentrified as what you are looking for...restaurants and shopping are meager) or Asheville, NC (more to choose from, but income tax , higher real estate and COL)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-22-2017, 08:50 AM
 
5,966 posts, read 6,884,567 times
Reputation: 3694
Echoing the recommendations of Tampa Bay, especially the St. Pete area. It's big enough to have the restaurant variety and outdoor activities you want, but not so big as to be stifling. And you have Tampa and St. Pete airports at your doorstep, along with some smaller airports scattered not too far away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2017, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
276 posts, read 247,522 times
Reputation: 519
I've been researching the Tampa and St. Petersburg areas and the crime stats look a little disturbing. Do most crimes happen after dark? Also is it mostly drug related, like criminal vs. criminal as opposed to criminal vs. average Joe?

Looking at real estate listings, houses seem to start in the high $200k area in the low crime neighborhoods. Also seeing quite a bit of HOA and some CDD properties.

Are there still quite a few foreclosures around?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2017, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
27,092 posts, read 6,003,149 times
Reputation: 30347
Just be careful about areas with high humidity in summer. You will need to to adjust, being from the north..?

It can quite overwhelming and uncomfortable. I moved further south then moved back a bit north after 3 years. Too hot and humid for me. For me, I didn't go outside from 11am to 4pm unless to the pool. And I'm from a southern state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-22-2017, 10:50 AM
 
21,258 posts, read 30,535,410 times
Reputation: 19747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neosec View Post
I've been researching the Tampa and St. Petersburg areas and the crime stats look a little disturbing. Do most crimes happen after dark? Also is it mostly drug related, like criminal vs. criminal as opposed to criminal vs. average Joe?

Looking at real estate listings, houses seem to start in the high $200k area in the low crime neighborhoods. Also seeing quite a bit of HOA and some CDD properties.

Are there still quite a few foreclosures around?
The crime stats are spiked by concentrated areas you'll most likely never set foot in and overwhelmingly committed between known individuals versus random acts. The St Pete neighborhoods previously mentioned (Allendale Terrace, Magnolia Heights, Woodlawn and Euclid-St Paul for example) are not "high crime", are on the upswing with a great deal of renovations and insight into the existing crime numbers would show predominately misdemeanors like simple assault (between known individuals), domestic disturbances, vandalism, disorderly conduct, etc and not random violent crimes/break-ins. Anyone forward thinking who buys into these areas is going to see significant return on investment over the near future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2017, 06:55 AM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
276 posts, read 247,522 times
Reputation: 519
Thanks for the info about the skewed crime data.

I've been reading here that one of the biggest complaints about Florida is the oppressive heat and humidity in the summer.

I spent some time in Thailand which was hot and humid, but the weather wasn't on the top of my list of complaints about Thailand, though it was there.

Anyway, I found this info that I thought I'd share for anyone that wanted to compare weather in Bangkok to weather in Tampa.



Credit:
Tampa, Florida vs Bangkok Climate & Distance Between

It seems Tampa area is just a bit cooler than Bangkok, and less humid. Seem to me if someone can handle Bangkok then Tampa will be even better. Would you agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2017, 07:32 AM
 
377 posts, read 204,429 times
Reputation: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neosec View Post
Thanks for the info about the skewed crime data.

I've been reading here that one of the biggest complaints about Florida is the oppressive heat and humidity in the summer.

I spent some time in Thailand which was hot and humid, but the weather wasn't on the top of my list of complaints about Thailand, though it was there.

Anyway, I found this info that I thought I'd share for anyone that wanted to compare weather in Bangkok to weather in Tampa.



Credit:
Tampa, Florida vs Bangkok Climate & Distance Between

It seems Tampa area is just a bit cooler than Bangkok, and less humid. Seem to me if someone can handle Bangkok then Tampa will be even better. Would you agree?
Of course Tampa will be cooler and less humid than Bangkok, it's thousands of miles farther from the equator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2017, 07:40 AM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
276 posts, read 247,522 times
Reputation: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
Of course Tampa will be cooler and less humid than Bangkok, it's thousands of miles farther from the equator.
Actually, only about one thousand. Not Thousands. Both are tropical climates. I just posted it so anyone that had been to Thailand but not Florida, had a point of reference to compare to. Just trying to help, no need to scold me.

Status: "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2017, 07:56 AM
 
377 posts, read 204,429 times
Reputation: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neosec View Post
Actually, only about one thousand. Not Thousands. Both are tropical climates. I just posted it so anyone that had been to Thailand but not Florida, had a point of reference to compare to. Just trying to help, no need to scold me.

Status: "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished."
Well to be technical, Tampa is not a tropical climate. It's subtropical. It's pretty evident from the flora and fauna there that it gets somewhat chilly in the winter.

You need to get south of Okeechobee before the climate is warm enough to support most tropical plants. Even then, it can get pretty chilly in the winter, quite different from Bangkok.

And Yes, I have been to both many times each.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2017, 08:13 AM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
276 posts, read 247,522 times
Reputation: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
Well to be technical, Tampa is not a tropical climate. It's subtropical. It's pretty evident from the flora and fauna there that it gets somewhat chilly in the winter.

You need to get south of Okeechobee before the climate is warm enough to support most tropical plants. Even then, it can get pretty chilly in the winter, quite different from Bangkok.

And Yes, I have been to both many times each.
Thank you for correcting me. I was born an idiot, it sure makes life tougher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top