U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 12:38 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,199,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easternman View Post
Think about something guys. Change is normal, that's true. But it used to take centuries for such radical changes to happen in culture, society and human behavior. People could adapt to those changes gradually. Now we get to experience 100-year worth of changes in a decade's timespan. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to realize that this just can't be healthy.
There was a popular book in the 1970s called Future Shock by Alvin Toffler that described exactly what you are talking about. As said of Toffler per wikipedia: "He believed the accelerated rate of technological and social change left people disconnected and suffering from "shattering stress and disorientation"—future shocked."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 02:20 PM

6,509 posts, read 7,454,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Well, we are woefully deficient in conquering something I was naive enough to believe we would be further along with by now: space flight.

I stupidly thought, 40 or so years, that we would have colonies of some kind on the Moon, real space stations, and enough propulsion power to make the leap to Mars.

As it is right now, I don't think any humans will ever set foot on Mars.
I agree with this completely. When I was a kid there was a lot of hype around our space program, the moon landings, sky lab, the shuttle program. There was tons of hype about a future with lunar bases, trips to mars and further exploration of the solar system. Society has completely lost interest in all this. Our advancement in computer technology, robotics and digital tech go beyond what expectations were back then but in the realm of space exploration we have fallen far short what we would have expected. If you would have asked me in 1979 what I thought 2017 might be like I would have been likely to have said something about people living on the moon or traveling the solar system. I have wondered myself why we have not yet been to mars or why there has not been further lunar exploration in the past 40 years. We don’t even have a spacecraft to take our people into space anymore. Sadly we rely on Russia to get our people to the space station.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:02 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,651,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
George Wallace was pretty extreme, no? Also, a lot of people say that 1968 was a year where it literally felt like the country was going to go into full fledge political revolution. The 1950s also had McCarthyism. So I think you may have a bit of selective memory going on here.
Yes and adding to the “nostalgia,” people were way more isolated. Long distance phone calls were expensive as was air travel for the average family. Super highways didn’t exist. No email or Skype. Newspapers were the fastest means of conveying what was happening before TV and radio depending upon how far back you want to go.

Tammany Hall ruled New York. The “Machine” and Richard J. Daley ruled Chicago politically. Classified ads were divided between “men’s” and “women’s” jobs. No EEOC. No equal rights laws. Kids died from Polio.

Good times.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:13 PM

9,415 posts, read 5,238,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I agree with this completely. When I was a kid there was a lot of hype around our space program, the moon landings, sky lab, the shuttle program. There was tons of hype about a future with lunar bases, trips to mars and further exploration of the solar system. Society has completely lost interest in all this. Our advancement in computer technology, robotics and digital tech go beyond what expectations were back then but in the realm of space exploration we have fallen far short what we would have expected. If you would have asked me in 1979 what I thought 2017 might be like I would have been likely to have said something about people living on the moon or traveling the solar system. I have wondered myself why we have not yet been to mars or why there has not been further lunar exploration in the past 40 years. We don’t even have a spacecraft to take our people into space anymore. Sadly we rely on Russia to get our people to the space station.
We've, apparently, lost the will to do the hard work involved along with getting the general public behind it. And I don't believe for a second that NASA will achieve an asteroid landing by 2025.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:57 PM

3,743 posts, read 2,558,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Yes and adding to the “nostalgia,” people were way more isolated. Long distance phone calls were expensive as was air travel for the average family. Super highways didn’t exist. No email or Skype. Newspapers were the fastest means of conveying what was happening before TV and radio depending upon how far back you want to go.

Tammany Hall ruled New York. The “Machine” and Richard J. Daley ruled Chicago politically. Classified ads were divided between “men’s” and “women’s” jobs. No EEOC. No equal rights laws. Kids died from Polio.

Good times.
Everyone romanticizes the past...especially the era in which they came of age. Ages 10-21.

For my generation everyone is nostalgic for the mid/late 90s-early/mid 2000s.

We remember Nickelodeon cartoons and getting slimed, skip-it, bop-it, tamagachis, All-That, beanie-babies, Pokemon cards (the first time they were popular), six-flags, Razor Scooters, Sock-um boppers, Stretch Armstrong, hotweels, power-wheels, cross-fire...and countless other things that remind us of the "innocence" that era.

What do we not focus as much on?...Timothy McVeigh/OKC bombings, gay bashing/hate crimes, Y2K panic, 9/11, anthrax, SARS, dot-com burst/recession, wars in the middle east, etc.

We were innocent in being young and sheltered; the era wasn't as innocent as we'd like to remember. This applies to every generation growing up in and then reflecting on every era ever.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:17 AM

6,509 posts, read 7,454,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post

Good times.
Funny I think people are isolated from each other today by technology. Real human connection is missing today. Your right about long distance phone calls being expensive, that was true until about 1990 9or so.
Superhighways did not exist? That is only partially true. Eisenhower is responsible for our interstate system and it was built for the most part between the 50s and the 80s. By 1968 a lot of them were done and being used.

Chicago was dominated by corruption? hmmm, some things never change, whole state of Illinois really. How many governors have they sent to prison since the bad ole Daley days? At least a few. Also didn’t Daley’s son or grandson become mayor too? Some people never learn.

I do however get the premise of your post, no it was not perfect back “in the old days”. I still do prefer the pre digital age, just too much reliance on it and the social changes are just way to much for me. Everything about today flies in the face of my values.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:18 PM

513 posts, read 288,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
If you don’t like my grammar spelling or punctuation then do not read it, I simply do not care. This is the internet, not a doctoral theses so I won’t invest the effort to proofread it for those things for your benefit. If I had said things you agreed with you would not have pointed out the grammar issues. Your pointing out of grammar issues does not make your assessment of our society today correct nor does it make mine incorrect. It is however a common tactic used by “progressive” thinkers to demean the opinions of those who espouse conservative beliefs of any kind. Maybe you should take part in a spelling bee, there you will find your zeal for spelling matters and maybe you’ll get a trophy too
Okay, I do sympathize with older people with some of the assumptions and outlooks that are more conservative. What I don't like is how smug your first post on this thread came off, and the general theme that the generation I grew up in are all completely anti-traditionalist.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
I think the best thing of the 21st century so far, has been the internet, and other technological advances. However, the addiction to social media and smart phones is an issue. I also wish we could bring back the way that kids actually played outside. Even in the early 2000s we still played outside, we rode our bikes everywhere, played soccer on the street without a care. Now everyone's so paranoid, kids are kept indoors constantly on phones, computers or video game. I remember Halloween as a kid the streets being flooded with children in costumes, now there's hardly a soul especially past 8.
To be honest, I don't know if we can have it both ways. Addiction to social media and smartphones have became an issue by nature exactly because of their growing availability and accessibility.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easternman View Post
Think about something guys. Change is normal, that's true. But it used to take centuries for such radical changes to happen in culture, society and human behavior. People could adapt to those changes gradually. Now we get to experience 100-year worth of changes in a decade's timespan. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to realize that this just can't be healthy.

I’m exactly 30 years old, I was born in 1987 so I grew up in the very last moments before the internet and the cell-phone culture took off worldwidely. I’m in an exceptional sociological standpoint regarding this topic because I also have a sister who is exactly 10 years younger than me. I can say this wthout the slightest exaggeration, the world went through a total and absolute metamorphosis in 10 years from around 2002 to 2012.

Here’s a little example that will shed a light to the behavioral changes of people within this 10-year timespan. Both me and my younger sister went to the same school. In my early high-school years in 1999-2000, when the bell rang, we always ran down to the courtyard to play ball or just goof around in groups, smoke cigs, chat about girls, etc. Fast forward 10 years, the bell rings in my sister’s classroom and everyone freezes in their seat, takes out their smartphone and does their isolated little thing – the classroom is in complete silence, everyone is typing on their phone like cyborgs in a dystopian movie. Don’t freaking tell me that this is normal and young guys and girls in full of their potential should behave like this!

Sometimes, I half-jokingly think that the real world had been replaced with a very similar, but fake one somewhere in the 2000s. Of course, it’s just the exponential nature of technological developement and it can be hard for a generation that grows up in exactly the middle of a world-changing turning point. For those who were born in the 80s, this sudden change can be incredibly difficult to adapt. I personally adapted successfully, I have a lot going for me and still I catch myself from time-to-time thinking that this all is just a big theater and nothing makes sense anymore.
I’m convinced that this is the reason why millions of my generation got hooked on heroin, causing this opiate-epidemic. They try to stay in a familiar comfortable bubble that is in reality long gone and never coming back.
Even though I am slightly younger than you are, I feel the same way a lot.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:51 PM

4,480 posts, read 2,661,399 times
I'd say it went through a bigger metamorphasis in the decade before the 2002-2012 example.

1992-2002: World Trade Center bombing in 1993 then 9/11 in 2001, plus the resulting give-away of freedoms and the related hyper-nationalism. Computers became popular at home, and went from c-prompts to graphical at work. Cell phones became popular. Epic tech-based boom from 1996-2000, then the economic crash in 2001. A broad-based return to inner cities. The popularization of craft beer and good ice cream.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or