Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 08:38 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I know I am a Boomer, but I caught the tail end of it. Most Boomers are older than me, and became adults well before me. I personally witnessed a lot of their silliness, and we are still paying for their stupid mistakes, and idealistic buffoonery.
The big Boomer birth jump, I believe, was mid-1950s.

I wonder if Vietnam hadn't become such a huge issue whether many of things would have happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I really wish i could of been around in the 50's.
Explain why even if you think we've heard it before. I'm truly interested in how anyone thinks that makes sense.

Upthread I pointed out one reason wanting to go back to that era is insane to me: what, used to be called, childhood diseases.
I came very close to dying from one: measles in 1958.

And people, usually babies, were still being vaccinated against smallpox in the 50s.

There was one great thing about the 50s, imo. The birth of rock 'n roll!

Old 11-20-2017, 09:02 AM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I sympathize with those black peoples who lived under Jim Crow pre 1950s, totally unfair and in-American things were going on then but when it comes to today’s political correctness and the “race chip” I lose all sympathy and support for that.
Keep in mind that Americans HATE HATE HATED Martin Luther King, Jr. when he was alive. People were saying the same things about MLK then that they are saying about Colin Kaepernick and Black Lives Matter today. In fact, the only person who was more hated than MLK in public opinion polls was Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev.

Quote:
The overwhelming approval with which King is remembered today stands in ironic contrast, however, to the way he was perceived by white Americans when he was alive and active. A number of survey items asked about King in the mid-sixties show him more reviled than revered--in fact, as one of the most disliked American political figures in that age of public opinion polling.

Of the ten others rated in the same survey, the only one more disliked was Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev with 95% giving a negative rating and 77% placing him at -5%.

In August 1964, six months before the Selma-to-Montgomery march for voting rights, Gallup respondents believed by nearly a four-to-one margin that "Negroes should stop their demonstrations now that they have made their point even though some of their demands have not been met." Gallup surveys taken in May and June of 1968, close to the time of King's death, show more whites (48%) feeling that the Johnson Administration was "pushing integration too fast" than believed it was moving too slow (18%) or "about right" (22%). Asked whether "Negroes are being treated in this community the same as whites are, not very well, or badly?," 73% of whites insisted they were being treated the same and only 3% felt they were treated badly. And 58% of whites believed "Negroes themselves" were more to blame than white people for the present conditions in which Negroes were treated badly.
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...-White-America

People who have issues with BLM probably would have had issues with MLK.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:13 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Keep in mind that Americans HATE HATE HATED Martin Luther King, Jr. when he was alive. People were saying the same things about MLK then that they are saying about Colin Kaepernick and Black Lives Matter today. In fact, the only person who was more hated than MLK in public opinion polls was Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev.

Absolutely. MLK was absolutely vilified by the mainstream when he was alive, which is why I can't stand certain people invoking him to somehow chastise folks who are protesting today.

Old 11-20-2017, 10:56 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,132,082 times
Definitely prefer the last century over the last 17 years:

1) There were less distractions surrounding us, less ways to fritter away valuable time
2) People spent more time together
3) People communicated with one another more directly, with less isolation
4) Presidents were more presidential, politicians were more accountable, and they even worked together sometimes(!)
5) Less extremism, less fascism, less us vs. them nonsense
6) People were generally more relaxed, peaceful, and happy

Old 11-20-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Definitely prefer the last century over the last 17 years:

1) There were less distractions surrounding us, less ways to fritter away valuable time
2) People spent more time together
3) People communicated with one another more directly, with less isolation
4) Presidents were more presidential, politicians were more accountable, and they even worked together sometimes(!)
5) Less extremism, less fascism, less us vs. them nonsense
6) People were generally more relaxed, peaceful, and happy
George Wallace was pretty extreme, no? Also, a lot of people say that 1968 was a year where it literally felt like the country was going to go into full fledge political revolution. The 1950s also had McCarthyism. So I think you may have a bit of selective memory going on here.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:29 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,230,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
You know me from the Phila. board so you know that I'm black.

All of the long road trips my family went on, when I was a small child in the 50s, were exactly as your grandma told you.

And if you had wanted to marry any of your white girlfriends, prior to the Loving v. Virginia decision in 1967, it would have been illegal in many states.

So again that time is not a place I want to even visit today.
The stories that my grandpa (RIP), a guy who was born in 1932 and grew up in South Carolina, were even worse! My grandma was born in the Bronx, but still traveled down south on the road trips that I mentioned. Apparently, what she mentioned wasn't that big of a problem up in Canada though! They had no problem finding a hotel room when they traveled up to Montreal in the late 50s/early 60s.

Yeah, based off of everything that I've heard about race relations back then, I'm right with you! I'm lucky enough to live in a time where race doesn't really matter to my generations. My two best friends in the entire world are white girls from Northeast PA. I love them like sisters and would put my life on the line for them. While dating, I could care less about the girl's skin color. The parents that I've met haven't cared about mine either. All they care about is that their daughter is dating someone who is well-spoken, college-educated, and caring about their daughter. Additionally, since you also know me from the Philly board, you probably know that I attend Temple University. Whenever I go out, nobody cares about what color one's skin is. We all just want to party and have a good time.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:42 AM

There's also the fact that you could have been one of the 2,709,918 men who served in Vietnam.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:08 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
George Wallace was pretty extreme, no? Also, a lot of people say that 1968 was a year where it literally felt like the country was going to go into full fledge political revolution. The 1950s also had McCarthyism. So I think you may have a bit of selective memory going on here.
I'm not surprised at many of these answers as many people think society was better when everyone "knew their place."

Old 11-20-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:

Negroes! Grrrrrr.

That label sets my teeth on edge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.