U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 07:27 PM

7,581 posts, read 3,992,169 times

Advertisements

It would be a good social experiment to have states with 100 percent liberal government and states with 100 percent conservative government to see which ideology leads to more prosperity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 07:39 PM

3,740 posts, read 2,556,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Don't most poor people vote Democrat? I don't think most of the welfare money going to red states is going to Republican voters. Republicans generally win or do well in wealthy voting districts in the south.

A lot of the blue high tax states deduct their state taxes on their federal returns so they are voting for leaders at national level that increase taxes but using their high state income taxes to opt out of paying as much federal income tax.

I also want to point out the more populated blue states have more poor people in number than less populated and less rich red states.
Virtually every single thing you've said here....makes no sense or is completely wrong. Let's brake this down one misguided dart-throw at a time...

Quote:
Don't most poor people vote Democrat? I don't think most of the welfare money going to red states is going to Republican voters. Republicans generally win or do well in wealthy voting districts in the south.
The wealthiest counties in many southern states (and actually; most states across the country) are "blue counties". In NC for example; 4 out of the 5 counties with the highest per-capita income were "blue counties" in the 2016 presidential election. Dare County; the 4th highest per-capita income county in NC and the only one in the top 5 to vote "red" in 2016....is by far the smallest in population of those 5; at 33k in population (compared to the combined 2.5 million between Orange, Wake, Mecklenburg, and Chatham Counties; the other 4 of the top 5).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._capita_income

For the top 5 poorest counties in the whole US; all 5 are in the south (Wheeler County, GA; Union County, FL; Issaquana County, MS; Telfair County, GA; and Bledsoe County, TN) and 4 out of those 5 are overwhelmingly "red". The exception being Issaquana County.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

Quote:

A lot of the blue high tax states deduct their state taxes on their federal returns so they are voting for leaders at national level that increase taxes but using their high state income taxes to opt out of paying as much federal income tax.
What in craps name are you even trying to say here? I ask because I very genuinely do not know what you are even trying to claim. That the people who live in "blue states" vote for "blue candidates" on the federal level so that they can claim a higher deduction on their personal takes? That state governments are writing off federal taxes?......Seems like you're rambling on trying to hit on a point but it isn't clear what that is. .r
Quote:
I also want to point out the more populated blue states have more poor people in number than less populated and less rich red states.
Phew! you landed on an actual fact (albeit in a similar rambling run-on sentence). It stands to reason that generally more populous states would have more poor people than less populous states. They also have more rich people. They have more people....period. I'm not sure anyone was suggesting otherwise?

Last edited by TarHeelNick; 11-19-2017 at 07:49 PM..

Old 11-19-2017, 07:49 PM

In SC, as an example, Trump won most of the populated and wealthy counties, including Greenville, the most populated, and he won the county with the very wealthy Hilton Head.

Also, keep in mind that Trump won the majority of college educated white people.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
In SC, as an example, Trump won most of the populated and wealthy counties, including Greenville, the most populated, and the county with the very wealthy Hilton Head.
Ok....there's one example. Does that negate the other 10 examples I gave that prove contrary to your "point"?

Using anecdotal evidence just makes you look desperate.

Richland and Chalreston County are two of the most populous and wealthy counties in SC too....and they both voted for Hilary.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:53 PM

The point is I see liberals on here always trying to make out Republican voters as poor but I think most poor people vote for Democrats.

The Democrat party is pushing for more government spending, welfare expansion, other entitlement creation and expansion, so it makes sense most poor people vote for Democrat vs the GOP that talks about tax cuts, debt reduction, lowering government spending. The GOP policy positions are more aligned with the middle class and wealthy.

Yet I see Democrat voters on here acting like Republican voters free load off of them.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
The point is I see liberals on here always trying to make out Republican voters as poor but I think most poor people for Democrat.
Yeah but....you're wrong. Not even "I disagree with you let's have a discussion about it". You are incorrect in what you've stated that you think. You can think that and that's fine; but it is factually inaccurate.

See above. Poorest counties in the whole US...overwhelmingly "red" counties.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Yeah but....you're wrong. Not even "I disagree with you let's have a discussion about it". You are incorrect in what you've stated that you think. You can think that and that's fine; but it is factually inaccurate.

See above. Poorest counties in the whole US...overwhelmingly "red" counties.
I don't think that is true. I know Obama and Hillary won several poor counties in SC that were large percentage of black voters, and the inner cities with horrible poverty vote nearly 100 percent for Democrats.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:57 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,362,170 times
Quote:
The point is I see liberals on here always trying to make out Republican voters as poor but I think most poor people vote for Democrats.

The Democrat party is pushing for more government spending, welfare expansion, other entitlement creation and expansion, so it makes sense most poor people vote for Democrat vs the GOP that talks about tax cuts, debt reduction, lowering government spending. The GOP policy positions are more aligned with the middle class and wealthy.

Yet I see Democrat voters on here acting like Republican voters free load off of them.
I just canít. Did you even look at the electoral map? Trump won all of the poor, rural counties in the country. Most of the extremely rich counties went to Hillary.

Old 11-19-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I just can’t. Did you even look at the electoral map? Trump won all of the poor, rural counties in the country. Most of the extremely rich counties went to Hillary.
That's not true. Democrats do very well in rural counties with large percentage of black or hispanic voters.

And Democrats dominated in the poor inner cities, which obviously have more poor people in number than rural areas with little population.

It is true that in general the more white a country is, the more likely GOP will win it, and rural areas tend to be more white overall, esspecially outside of the south.

That has nothing to do with wealth though. A lot of people on here seem to think everybody in a rural area is poor.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
I don't think that is true. I know Obama and Hillary won several poor counties in SC that were large percentage of black voters, and the inner cities with horrible poverty vote nearly 100 percent for Democrats.
Holy hell....I can'd deal with this level of thick.....

You. Are. Wrong.

You keep saying "I don't think so because xyz anecdotal "evidence" from which I can base an far-flung assumption"

When confronted with facts; you ignore them and throw out another post that reads like a teenager caught red handed trying to talk themselves out of detention in the principals office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or