U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-20-2017, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,582 posts, read 3,997,005 times
Reputation: 2912

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Many of the welfare users here in Tennessee are also addicts. Many wave the Confederate flag and voted for Trump. I would say the vast majority of the poor here in Tennessee are Republican
I don't where you get the idea that only white people are drug addicts. I think majority of people on welfare are Democratic voters if they bother to vote. I don't think GOP message of tax cuts and less government spending resonates with most welfare people. GOP is going hard for taxpayers.

Majority of people who voted for Trump don't wave the Confederate flag and you have no evidence that is the case. Not voting for Democratic party doesn't make people racist. Trump's slogan wasn't make the Confederacy great again, it was make America great again.

Trump did well with blue collar white Democrats who voted for Obama. That's how he was able to win those blue states up north.

But he also won the majority of college educated white voters.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 11-20-2017 at 11:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-20-2017, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,582 posts, read 3,997,005 times
Reputation: 2912
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post

Oh, please

Some posts are just better left not replying to at all. This seems like a lost cause. Do not feed the troll!

Honestly, we all probably knew this thread would turn into something like this the minute we read the title.
I note that you didn't refute my assertion that the poor inner cities mostly vote Democrat. I think that is something most people understand to be true.

How is is trolling to point out a fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2017, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
23,572 posts, read 17,544,804 times
Reputation: 27640
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I don't where you get the idea that only white people are drug addicts.

Majority of people who voted for Trump don't wave the Confederate flag and you have no evidence that is the case. Not voting for Democratic party doesn't make people racist.

Trump did well with blue collar white Democrats who voted for Obama. That's how he was able to win those blue states up north.

But he also won the majority of college educated white voters.
All that is true. I'm not disputing that.

People, especially from "up nawth," get these weird ideas about Tennessee. They often think "country living" down here is something out of a Pigeon Forge brochure. People get these ideas about quaint country living.

That's not the Tennessee I know. The Tennessee I know is made up of a handful of metro areas doing fairly well (Nashville, parts of Knoxville, Chattanooga) and an array of smaller metros and rural areas that are truly struggling, economically and socially.

I live in the Tri-Cities. I work in Kingsport. I've seen the town decline over the years. The empty storefronts. Closed businesses. Vacant and boarded up homes. A mall that was basically hollowed out. The homeless and drug abuse going on in the downtown core.

Driving through the rural areas, it's not pretty. A lot of trailers. Cars on blocks. People don't take care of their property. A lot of drug abuse, domestic abuse, poor education, crime, addiction.

The Tennessee I know has a very poor quality of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2017, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,582 posts, read 3,997,005 times
Reputation: 2912
Ok....I don't think average drug abuser votes Republican b/c GOP tends to be tougher on drug crimes and crimes in general. And obviously sealing off the border is probably going to slow down illegal drug supply

Trump railed on drug abuse more than any political candidate that I can remember. So it is weird to see many on the left act like drug addicts are among his biggest fans.

I think Tenn is like every state, rich, middle class and poor people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2017, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Casca - Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
606 posts, read 525,340 times
Reputation: 445
Redmerica and Bluemerica



Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2017, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Research Triangle Area, NC
3,749 posts, read 2,561,414 times
Reputation: 5379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Ok....I don't think average drug abuser votes Republican b/c GOP tends to be tougher on drug crimes and crimes in general. And obviously sealing off the border is probably going to slow down illegal drug supply

Trump railed on drug abuse more than any political candidate that I can remember. So it is weird to see many on the left act like drug addicts are among his biggest fans.

I think Tenn is like every state, rich, middle class and poor people.
Open a textbook. Look up "War on Drugs".

If you think Trump is the first candidate to "rail against drugs"....you should brush up on your (recent) history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2017, 09:41 PM
 
1,987 posts, read 1,235,853 times
Reputation: 2216
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Open a textbook. Look up "War on Drugs".

If you think Trump is the first candidate to "rail against drugs"....you should brush up on your (recent) history.
He wrote a ton of crap implying Democrats don't care about crime or taxpayers. Or Republicans don't abuse drugs. Textbook example of logical fallacy (e.g. Republicans are tough on crime and enforcing drug laws, therefore drug addicts wouldn't vote for them). Both parties care (or at least pretend to care), but they have different solutions to addressing those issues. That doesn't mean one party is advocating for crime and drug abuse .

It was actually Democratic President Bill Clinton that gave us "mandatory minimums" and "three strikes," btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-20-2017, 09:42 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,582 posts, read 3,997,005 times
Reputation: 2912
Um, I've seen Democrats assert numerous times that somehow drug addicts are big fans of Donald Trump, when they are trying to make case that poor people are mostly GOP voters.

I simply questioned that given Trump's rhetoric on drugs and desire to build a wall that would slow down drug supply. It is interesting that you accuse me of fallacies when I was responding to a common fallacy that I see on here about rural drug addicts being Republican voters.

I never said Democrats advocate for drug abuse. I do think GOP is perceived as tougher on drug crimes, to include not supporting legalizing weed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2017, 12:00 AM
 
4,433 posts, read 4,415,587 times
Reputation: 3500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Vermont is the bluest state, and it's entirely rural. So that throws a bit of a wrench into the urban/rural dichotomy.
.
Actually the urban/rural dichotomy for 90% of US is true, the exception are some rural counties north, in the black belt. on the bolder.

but how gladhands explain it inactuate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
There are very few blue states; there are only states whos big metros carry a large enough percentage of the population to turn the state blue. Even the bluest of states: California, Massachusetts, etc. will sometimes elect a Republican governor, whereas its impossible for a Democrat to win statewide office in a red state. The places that make the money or blue, and the places that spend it are red.

The same can be said flip for the suppose Red states. Republicans are barley winning the red states with large cities. They just barley have enough rural and exurban pop, to offset the more urban populations.




Cities are more populous then rural areas, Because of the population difference it takes like 4-10 rural red counties to equal a blue urban county. in fact if we got rid of the winner take all idea and electoral collage it would be extremely difficult for Republicans to win nationally.

Because the electoral collage and winner take all pretty much skew the actual popular vote...


Example Obama and Hilary both won Cali by over 25%

But Obama and Hilary both only lost Georgia by less than 5%.

Other wise Georgia is a lot more Blue-er than Cali is Red.


Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, Lyndon B. Johnson 3 Democrats presidents since the 60's are from the South, 2 of them were governors of Southern state.


So it's sort of weird when we get in these debate about Cities in the South that posters assume their more conservative no, no the cities are just a liberal as if they was on of the coast. There are in states were there's slighting enough rural pop to offset them.






2008

https://psychohistory.files.wordpres.../picture-2.png
2016

http://brilliantmaps.com/wp-content/...yvoteshare.png

Blue America basically

New York
Los Angeles
Chicago
Dallas-
Houston
Washington-
Philadelphia
Miami
Atlanta
Boston
San Francisco
Phoenix
Detroit
Seattle
Minneapolis
San Diego
Tampa
Denver
St. Louis
Baltimore
Charlotte
Orlando
San Antonio
Portland
Pittsburgh
Sacramento
Cincinnati
Las Vegas
Kansas City,
Austin
Cleveland
Nashville
Virginia Beach-Norfolk
Providence
Milwaukee
Memphis
Raleigh
Louisville
Richmond,
New Orleans
Hartford
Salt Lake City
Birmingham
Buffalo
Rochester
Grand Rapids
Tucson

Plus, New England, the Rio Grande valley and the Black Belt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2017, 12:11 AM
 
11,456 posts, read 6,575,220 times
Reputation: 6091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Ok, I had always thought Democrats said they are the party of and for poor people.

It is kind of surprising that REpublicans do better among the poor than Democrats, as you claim, given their respective platforms on government spending, welfare and taxes.

I don't think that I ever restricted my comments to counties. Most of the poor people in number live in the big cites.

I would argue that Democrats like to focus on rural counties to push the notion that Republicans are more poor. But the GOP does better with white people across all income levels, and rural areas especially outside of the south tend to be more white.

The reason big cities tend to vote Democrat is they have larger black populations and in some cases larger Hispanic populations compared to less populated areas. I don't think it is tied to wealth or education.

The fact that Trump won a majority of college educated white people underscores this.
White people who live in urban cities tend to be liberal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top