Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 02:31 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,860,073 times

Advertisements

I have lived in climates with HOT heat: Baton Rouge, LA ; Jackson, TN ; Louisville, KY.

I have also lived in 4-season climates like Detroit, MI; Syracuse, NY; and Erie, PA area.

My favorites are Syracuse and Erie since they have cooler summers, loads of snow, and year-round moisture.

I hate excessive heat There's absolutely no reason for it to get hotter than 80 F in the summer. I'm fine with summers that last 3 months or less and winters that last 6 months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2017, 06:43 PM

6,703 posts, read 6,392,465 times
4 Seasons in Chicago! Love 4 distinct seasons.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:28 PM

7,725 posts, read 6,361,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tone77 View Post
I would chose Miami weather. I don't mind a little bit of winter weather, but not 5-6 months a year of it. I also prefer palm trees and sunshine over leafless trees, gray skies and gloom.
5-6 months of it? People always exaggerate I live in Minnesota and its almost December and its been in the 50s and 40s all week up there. I actually wish there would be snow for me when I return from Miami, but there's no snow in the forecast. We had some snow falls over the month but they were for a few days, hardly the whole month and they topped at 1 measly inch. I still don't see which of these 5-6 months have winter weather. A handful of snow and freezing cold days don't count because its not all month long. I understand some of y'all don't like cold and thats fine but don't say we have half the year with winter weather because that is not true, and any year with 6 months of snow would be one for the record books, not the norm.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
There is no place in the USA (major city at least) where boating is as good as Miami. Los Angeles cannot compare, and certainly not Minnesota (even though there is boating in both places, it's just not on the same level).

From the countless man-made islands and keys, to the numerous foreign archipelagos worth exploring - if you spend even one hour inside while visiting Miami you're doing something wrong.

Granted there are no winter activities in Miami but the water/boating activities there are so strong that it's simply on some other plain when compared to the rest of the USA.

Miami wins in boating because of the ocean and year round boating options, I'll give you that. But that's about it. Boating, jetskiing and scuba diving are all great in Miami... if you even have the money to do it. Fishing and swimming are the best things that anyone can afford. Miami is a water activity city, where Minneapolis is a water, land and snow activity city.

In Minneapolis you can not only boat and do other lake activities in summer (water skiing was invented in MN) but you can ice skate and play hockey in the winter, the weather is much more comfortable for bike riding up there from April-October. April-October is great for swimming in Miami but sucky for anything outside of water because of how hot and humid it is. I personally find Miami weather miserable. Right now its November 26th and in the 80s outside. F*** that! Even LA which I find too warm as well, is at least a lovely 64.

Also there's so many woods and waterfalls in the Twin Cities. I'll give Miami for ocean nature, its spectacular in that regard, but land nature, it sucks. The Everglades? That's water too. You need an airboat to fully enjoy 'em. Everglades are cool and all but I'd rather kayak across the lakes in Minny. Have you even been to MPLS? A lot of people who never been there, especially from Florida, are convinced its a frozen tundra for every season besides summer. Not true. Even when it is a frozen tundra, there's so many winter activities. Best city for winter sports east of Denver IMHO.

Old 11-26-2017, 01:20 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,718,857 times
Miami weather all day every day.

Benefits:
-beach weather year-round (though I've heard on here that locals don't really go in the water in the winter), meaning year-round water-sports. I would totally get into windsurfing if I had the opportunity.
-year-round alfresco dining
-warm nights and early mornings, you never have to gear up for the cold. You can wear a t-shirt and have a drink on your balcony. Or you can just stroll out to your car in your gym clothes early in the morning and head to the gym! One of those seemingly small perks of warm weather that accumulates into a huge benefit for me.

Cons:
-hot, sticky summers, but the pros make it worth it for me. Besides, the Caribbean-style ocean there becomes like a heated pool, which I love.
-no nearby winter sports. I would love to improve my ski skills or take up snowboarding, but I can live without it. I can just make it the occasional trip that I'll have to fly out for.

However, if I had Miami weather but no beach nearby....then it becomes a more difficult choice. Would depend if it was a mild 4-seasons climate (a la the Carolinas or PNW), or one with harsh winters (a la Minneapolis or Chicago).

Old 11-27-2017, 02:28 AM

376 posts, read 328,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Miami wins in boating because of the ocean and year round boating options, I'll give you that. But that's about it. Boating, jetskiing and scuba diving are all great in Miami... if you even have the money to do it. Fishing and swimming are the best things that anyone can afford. Miami is a water activity city, where Minneapolis is a water, land and snow activity city.

In Minneapolis you can not only boat and do other lake activities in summer (water skiing was invented in MN) but you can ice skate and play hockey in the winter, the weather is much more comfortable for bike riding up there from April-October. April-October is great for swimming in Miami but sucky for anything outside of water because of how hot and humid it is. I personally find Miami weather miserable. Right now its November 26th and in the 80s outside. F*** that! Even LA which I find too warm as well, is at least a lovely 64.

Also there's so many woods and waterfalls in the Twin Cities. I'll give Miami for ocean nature, its spectacular in that regard, but land nature, it sucks. The Everglades? That's water too. You need an airboat to fully enjoy 'em. Everglades are cool and all but I'd rather kayak across the lakes in Minny. Have you even been to MPLS? A lot of people who never been there, especially from Florida, are convinced its a frozen tundra for every season besides summer. Not true. Even when it is a frozen tundra, there's so many winter activities. Best city for winter sports east of Denver IMHO.
I just want to point out you can ice-skate too in Miami. In indoor rinks. Other than that, I won't disagree with anything you wrote.

Old 12-02-2017, 10:11 PM

6,615 posts, read 16,492,621 times
Lived in Miami when growing up. Came north for college, never looked back. Heat & humidity suck!

Old 12-03-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
I just want to point out you can ice-skate too in Miami. In indoor rinks. Other than that, I won't disagree with anything you wrote.

Wow, an indoor rink lol. Big friggin' deal. You don't see me using "indoor heated pools in winter" to sell Minneapolis

Old 12-03-2017, 04:15 PM

15,973 posts, read 10,531,630 times
If I had to choose I’d take Chicago but not for the weather. I like four seasons but with a mild winter. High desert New Mexico is nearly perfect for my climate preference.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:50 PM

7,021 posts, read 14,408,450 times
No snow please (unless it's possible to live car-free)

Unfortunately, unless you live in Key West, FL, you're bound to get snow in your lifetime no matter where you live, even if it's like maybe once every decade or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.