Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 06:59 PM

11,085 posts, read 7,149,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
You realize that states with no income tax do get that tax money, just in the form of higher property taxes. Texas has very high property taxes
I know that argument, but it doesn't pan out from what I've seen. I paid less overall in that state without income tax compared to the one with income tax. I'm going by real/actual numbers from experience. And the higher property tax was still less than the lower property tax plus income tax. The latter total has been nearly double the previous. And again, that increase snowballs over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2017, 07:11 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I know that argument, but it doesn't pan out from what I've seen. I paid less overall in that state without income tax compared to the one with income tax. I'm going by real/actual numbers from experience. And the higher property tax was still less than the lower property tax plus income tax. The latter total has been nearly double the previous. And again, that increase snowballs over time.
What do you think funds state government? Or should they work for free? Or should there be no state government, just so you don't have to pay precious income tax?

Old 11-19-2017, 08:50 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
What do you think funds state government? Or should they work for free? Or should there be no state government, just so you don't have to pay precious income tax?
Michigan got by with no state income tax until 1965. How did state governments survive before income taxes?

Old 11-19-2017, 08:56 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Michigan got by with no state income tax until 1965. How did state governments survive before income taxes?
Usually other fees and taxes.

Old 11-19-2017, 08:58 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Usually other fees and taxes.
And those other fees and taxes still exist, along with many new ones.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:50 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post

Old 11-20-2017, 04:09 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,889,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
For the benefit of those of us who know nothing about Ohio, can you folks shed some light into why people are leaving. Maybe break it down into a simple list of the disappointing aspects. It'd be nice to learn about other states.
I don't understand the hate for Ohio. I wish the border was closer to Pittsburgh so I could live there and commute to the city. Ohio has a cheaper COL, milder winters (excluding NE Ohio), easy access to big cities, culture, and the Midwestern friendliness.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:32 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
I don't understand the hate for Ohio either - I think most of the major cities are pretty clean and have good amenities. Yes, the winters can be cold but Ohio has four seasons and they're pretty well spaced out. The countryside is lovely in my opinion.

There IS that booming drug issue...that can be a biggie. But other than that, I like Ohio overall. No place is perfect.

OP, you don't have to stick with major cities - check out some second tier cities in the areas you're interested in. For instance, in Texas, you could also look into Midland, Amarillo, Tyler, Waco, Temple, etc. Other cities in the east and southeast like Mobile AL, Greenville SC, Columbus GA, Little Rock AR, Knoxville TN, etc. Not specifically recommending any of these cities, just giving examples of smaller cities that still offer a lot of opportunities in the field you have experience in.

Old 11-20-2017, 05:42 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,464,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgerb1010 View Post
I am a 23 year old from northeastern Ohio. I am looking to move out of state within the next year- year and a half. I have job experience in restaraunts in just about every position except bartending with some experience in managing at a fast-casual restaraunt and I currently work at a dairy. I'm looking to move to a bigger city or near one. I'm wanting to stay on the east side of the U.S. I have had a lot of friends tell me to check out Nashville and Texas. I have only looked into Nashville a little bit a long with Philadelphia. I would like to find somewhere that is somewhat affordable but also has a lot of job opportunities as well. If any one has any suggestions for cities that a lot of people around my age tend to move to. Also with your suggestions please let me know what kind of job market is in that area. I want to find where I'm going and get some experience in whatever fields are best for that area before I move there. Any suggestions will be helpful
Philly (where I live) and Pittsburgh (which I've only read about) meet your criteria. Philly's restaurant scene is among the best in the country (fine dining plus, due to a flood of millennials, rapid growth of bars and mid-level venues). It's one of the more affordable major cities on the East Coast, has lots to offer recreationally and cuturally; and if you want to escape, mountains and beach are an easy day trip. Get other peoples' opinion - post answers to http://www.city-data.com/forum/phila...formation.html in the Philly forum http://www.city-data.com/forum/philadelphia/.

Pittsburgh may be a lower-key version of what I wrote above (minus the beaches). It's becoming a tech haven, which means 20-somethings, which means there must be pretty rapid growth in #/quality of restaurants and bars. And I'm guessing cost of living will be a tad less than Philly.

Unless finances are extremely tight, don't let tax rates be high on your list of places to consider. At your age, you should follow your heart. If somewhere you like is $1000 more because of taxes, insurance, etc, and you can afford to eat that "loss" or change your lifestyle a smidge, then make that leap of faith in your judgment.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:49 AM

811 posts, read 888,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgerb1010 View Post
I am a 23 year old from northeastern Ohio. I am looking to move out of state within the next year- year and a half. I have job experience in restaraunts in just about every position except bartending with some experience in managing at a fast-casual restaraunt and I currently work at a dairy. I'm looking to move to a bigger city or near one. I'm wanting to stay on the east side of the U.S. I have had a lot of friends tell me to check out Nashville and Texas. I have only looked into Nashville a little bit a long with Philadelphia. I would like to find somewhere that is somewhat affordable but also has a lot of job opportunities as well. If any one has any suggestions for cities that a lot of people around my age tend to move to. Also with your suggestions please let me know what kind of job market is in that area. I want to find where I'm going and get some experience in whatever fields are best for that area before I move there. Any suggestions will be helpful
I recommend Louisville, Kentucky or Nashville, TN. I am also from Northeast Ohio and relocated for better job opportunities and a fresh start. Louisville has one of the best food scenes in the US for a city it's size and also has a strong job market. Nashville is also a trendy city with many millennial flooding into it, which has its pros and cons. I do have a friend who moved to Nashville and manages a restaurant down there after getting started in the restaurant industry in Louisville. Louisville is a bit more affordable than Nashville but that is slowly beginning to change with the city's growth.

There are also plenty of other jobs in the area from the insurance industry, tourism industry, and of course Ford and GE with jobs across many different fields. 40,000+ jobs will also be in the future at the new River Ridge Commerce Center in nearby Southern Indiana (Jeffersonville, IN), so there certainly is no shortage of work to be found in the Louisville area.

Experts call Louisville food scene 'vibrant'

https://www.bizjournals.com/louisvil...ne-of-the.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.