U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 04:07 PM

3,626 posts, read 1,540,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Not for anything that's in a dense "urban" neighborhood or anything desirable.
Charlotte has a wide variety of housing, including "dense urban" neighborhoods in and around the downtown area that are pretty nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 11:22 AM

56,705 posts, read 81,017,273 times
Are there any others that come to mind in terms of cities/neighborhoods?

Old 07-16-2018, 12:17 PM

1,231 posts, read 511,557 times
If your job is as transferable as you say, I’d try a few of the cities mentioned. At your age I wouldn’t buy right away, you have plenty of time to find the right city to law down roots. Nothing would be worse than buying a house in Buffalo just to take a short roadtrip to find out you like Cleveland more, or Detroit, etc. Good luck.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
If your job is as transferable as you say, I’d try a few of the cities mentioned. At your age I wouldn’t buy right away, you have plenty of time to find the right city to law down roots. Nothing would be worse than buying a house in Buffalo just to take a short roadtrip to find out you like Cleveland more, or Detroit, etc. Good luck.
The "wild card" with this is Buffalo's location. There is a region of about 9 million people across the Niagara River(the Golden Horseshoe - inc. Toronto, Niagara Falls, etc.) and another 1 million person metro adjacent to its metro to the east(Rochester). So, while the metro is about 1.2 million, there are about 10 million other people within a somewhat continuous area and short/reasonable drive from the city.

However, are there any other cities that would fit or at least places within a bigger metro area that would fit in regards to the original post?

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-16-2018 at 02:12 PM..

Old 07-16-2018, 04:50 PM

1,231 posts, read 511,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
The "wild card" with this is Buffalo's location. There is a region of about 9 million people across the Niagara River(the Golden Horseshoe - inc. Toronto, Niagara Falls, etc.) and another 1 million person metro adjacent to its metro to the east(Rochester). So, while the metro is about 1.2 million, there are about 10 million other people within a somewhat continuous area and short/reasonable drive from the city.

However, are there any other cities that would fit or at least places within a bigger metro area that would fit in regards to the original post?
I arbitrarily used Buffalo as an example, that’s why I included Detroit along with Cleveland. It honestly could be any two cities listed, I was just trying to make a point about not buying until they have a chance to explore more at their young age. Sorry, didn’t mean to have it come off like they wouldn’t like Buffalo.

I use to occasionally join one of my friends from Buffalo and watch the Bills games with 200+ fans here in San Diego. I got to know many of them, and they’re great people. My wife also got her B.S. at SUNY Buffalo, I have nothing but respect for that city.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
I arbitrarily used Buffalo as an example, that’s why I included Detroit along with Cleveland. It honestly could be any two cities listed, I was just trying to make a point about not buying until they have a chance to explore more at their young age. Sorry, didn’t mean to have it come off like they wouldn’t like Buffalo.

I use to occasionally join one of my friends from Buffalo and watch the Bills games with 200+ fans here in San Diego. I got to know many of them, and they’re great people. My wife also got her B.S. at SUNY Buffalo, I have nothing but respect for that city.
No sweat, man...I actually think Detroit(parts of the city and metro) may get underestimated and with Buffalo, people may not realize how many people live nearby. So, sometimes aspects about the cities/areas mentioned may get overlooked and could appeal to some people without realizing it.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:39 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,431,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Some Kenmore listings: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Dormont listings: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...rice-na-150000

All are under $150,000.
Dormont property tax rates are crazy. Corrupt little municipality.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:33 AM

5,555 posts, read 6,990,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
There's a direct relationship between cost of living and available jobs and salaries. You can find areas that are cheap to live in but the jobs won't pay anything or may be impossible to find. Just about any city in the country has suburbs where rent is affordable and housing can be had for $300K or less if you are willing to commute. I don't see why you would want to buy a house at your age. If you get married you would have your wife's income and probably could afford twice what you do now.
Not true. The salaries in California do not come anywhere close to making up for the much higher housing costs in SD, LA, and SF.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:34 AM

5,555 posts, read 6,990,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
This isn’t necessarily true anymore. Cities like Chicago, Philadelphia, Atlanta and Dallas have a plethora of high paying jobs and have retained a relatively low cost of living.
Low cost of living in Chicago? Property taxes on a typical family home are $10K per year.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:53 AM

4,257 posts, read 2,522,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Dormont property tax rates are crazy. Corrupt little municipality.
They seem to be about the same as I pay in WI. High, yes but I don't suspect corruption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or