U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2017, 03:50 PM

29 posts, read 26,934 times

Advertisements

What are the cheapest medium to large sized cities to live in? I currently live in California and it's just way too expensive in the majority of the state.

What I'd really like is to live somewhere as densely urban as possible (no outer suburbs, I'd prefer to feel like I'm in the thick of things). I'd also like to buy my own apartment or house instead of renting.

My job is transferable to basically anywhere, I'm not worried about that. I have no kids and don't plan to have any. I'm in my 20s but I'm not at all interested in nightlife or partying. I like seeing live music and I perform myself.

I can only afford $100-150k. Are there any cities where buying is possible on that budget? (In areas where I won't get shot)

So far my search has led me to cities like Omaha, Buffalo, and Cleveland. Are those doable on my budget?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2017, 03:57 PM

20,852 posts, read 35,958,846 times
Indianapolis, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Grand Rapids.

Old 11-20-2017, 04:18 PM

56,635 posts, read 80,930,134 times
Many Interior Northeastern, Midwestern or Southern areas. This should help: https://www.nahb.org/en/research/hou...ity-index.aspx

The 4th section: https://www.nahb.org/en/research/hou...6F9E6D780B4959

So, areas such as Youngstown, Syracuse, Scranton, Cincinnati, Columbia SC, Toledo, Wichita, Dayton, Rochester and Lansing are some others that are or may be considered to be mid sized areas to look into.

I know for Syracuse, the area around Westcott/University on the East Side or even Tipperary Hill in the outer West Side would work. Perhaps Eastwood as well.

For Rochester, the SE Quadrant of the city, as well as outer east/NE neighborhoods would work.

For Lansing, it’s East Side around Michigan Avenue in between its Downtown and East Lansing would work. Perhaps even nearby areas of East Lansing, as well as around Old Town Lansing.

Hopefully other posters will offer other suggestions with specific neighborhoods/areas.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:47 PM

18,927 posts, read 6,873,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldcountryer View Post
What are the cheapest medium to large sized cities to live in? I currently live in California and it's just way too expensive in the majority of the state.

What I'd really like is to live somewhere as densely urban as possible (no outer suburbs, I'd prefer to feel like I'm in the thick of things). I'd also like to buy my own apartment or house instead of renting.

My job is transferable to basically anywhere, I'm not worried about that. I have no kids and don't plan to have any. I'm in my 20s but I'm not at all interested in nightlife or partying. I like seeing live music and I perform myself.

I can only afford $100-150k. Are there any cities where buying is possible on that budget? (In areas where I won't get shot)

So far my search has led me to cities like Omaha, Buffalo, and Cleveland. Are those doable on my budget?
Have you considered Phoenix?

Old 11-20-2017, 08:23 PM

5,694 posts, read 8,762,354 times
Quote:
I like seeing live music and I perform myself.
Is Knoxville densely urban enough for you? You can't afford downtown proper but could afford a house a mile or two away.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:59 PM

4,266 posts, read 6,349,676 times
You could definitely do parts of Chicago for under 150, especially as a single or DINKS. Bigger city, and you might find neighborhoods like Edgewater, Buena Park, Hyde Park, and some parts of more expensive Lakeview to your liking. All are good strong city neighborhoods, and there are probably others I just don’t know of. The Midwest is generally good for less expensive housing.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:07 PM

1,773 posts, read 1,772,038 times
I live in a relatively nice area of Metro Detroit off a single income (around 70k), while having a wife, two kids, mortgage, and two relatively newer cars. It's super inexpensive here. When our kids are older and the wife goes back to work we'll have a super nice lifestyle off of a low six-digit income. We bought our 1400 square foot house (plus a finished basement) for just barely above the range you're looking at, and it's in an area of town with top rated schools, a safe walkable downtown, and is generally understood to be fairly nice.

Naturally this doesn't apply to only Detroit. I'd say you'd find similar things in Grand Rapids, Indy, Cincy, Cleveland, Columbus, Buffalo, Rochester... all of which have some fantastic areas to call home. The Midwest is severely underrated as a region, and based on the small amount it costs to live here, I'm surprised there aren't more people jumping at the opportunity to call it home.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:08 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,885,371 times
Take a look at the Carolinas, particularly Greenville, SC and Charlotte. The Midwestern cities mentioned, and maybe Orlando and Tampa, sound good too. And the Phoenix area.

Old 11-20-2017, 09:09 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,828,809 times
There is a 150K thread in the Pittsburgh forum. 150K is nowhere close to enough money to live in the thick of things. Try Buffalo, Rochester, or Youngstown.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:30 PM

4,486 posts, read 2,672,469 times
I'd suggest a place where it's easy or preferable to not have a car. That can mean a moderately more expensive city (at best), because places like that tend to have higher demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or