U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 05:34 PM

3,743 posts, read 2,558,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 908Boi View Post
The largest group of immigrants to NJ are Indians who are mostly middle to high income but you can continue with your illegal immigration schtick
You're talking about someone who believes in "the war on coal" and apparently thinks everything would be hunky dory in Appalachia if we'd just stop the progress of developing new cleaner, safer, cheaper sources of energy.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 04:10 PM

7,721 posts, read 9,018,166 times
Iowa. Not only do people not move away, but the idea of vacation for a lot of people is the state fair.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:30 PM

5,857 posts, read 14,043,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Not surprising at all. I live in Wisconsin for a time, and I seldom met anyone who grew up in another state. I can completely believe Michigan being on this list, and I suspect that Minnesota isn't far down the list, either.

In New England, there is a fair amount of movement within the region, but the relative small size of states makes this a bit easier. There are people working in metro Boston who live in RI and NH, too...
No, not MN. The Twin Cities metro area is a magnet for the states that surround it, particularly those states' substantial rural areas. Also, many large corporations have their headquarters or large facilities here, attracting people from all over. In the last few decades, many immigrants ave been locating here. All of this tends to dilute the native-born MN population living in the state.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:46 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,875,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The states with the highest percentages of native born current residents:

The states with the most native-born residents
Looking at the statistics makes me wonder if economics has a lot to do with the figures. North Carolina's 58% can be a lot of natives plus an almost equal amount of transplants. To do a real comparison one would have to check the population 10 years ago and today together with the percentage of natives. For instance if you are losing population that almost 80% could be that no one outside the state chose the state to live in.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:01 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,950,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
California. If they don't stay, they usually come back.
Not true. Most people who leave California canít afford to go back.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:03 PM

13,217 posts, read 17,948,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
At one point, I think PA had the 2nd highest senior citizen population, per capita, only behind FL, not sure if that is still the case though.
That was the case in 1990, but Pennsylvania was the third-oldest state in 2000, and the sixth-oldest in 2010. At the rate things are going this decade, Pennsylvania will be either the 10th- or 11th-oldest in 2020, whichever position Connecticut isn't.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:05 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,950,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Iowa. Not only do people not move away, but the idea of vacation for a lot of people is the state fair.
Iowa is such a goofy state.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:15 PM

2,519 posts, read 2,265,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
You're talking about someone who believes in "the war on coal" and apparently thinks everything would be hunky dory in Appalachia if we'd just stop the progress of developing new cleaner, safer, cheaper sources of energy.......
His parents are also immigrants from Asia, making him maybe a first generation American but he speaks as though his lineage comprises of an all American confederate lineage who's been serving to save the pure Southern Culture for decades.

Old 11-29-2017, 11:29 PM

24,974 posts, read 23,882,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Oh, geeze. At least dad took us to other states.

Old 11-30-2017, 02:08 AM

5,532 posts, read 3,683,135 times
I have lived in WA, ID, CA, WA, AK, OR, IL, back to ID, and back to WA. I never have been in a State with so many residents that have never left the State than Washington. I understand this is anecdotal, but I will vote for WA State here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or