Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 09:58 AM

12,839 posts, read 9,562,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
That trend has started.....and is already accelerating quite quickly according to the numbers from Forbes....

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joelkot.../#2c5f4b7852d7

California gets it's own whole section of the article.
Yet the COL and COH is still high. Is there any chance cost of homes could drop with this migration? I'm getting ready to buy here in Denver as I think it is going to get really expensive with this surge in population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 10:52 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,737,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
That trend has started.....and is already accelerating quite quickly according to the numbers from Forbes....

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joelkot.../#2c5f4b7852d7

California gets it's own whole section of the article.
Wow, can't say I'm surprised though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yet the COL and COH is still high. Is there any chance cost of homes could drop with this migration? I'm getting ready to buy here in Denver as I think it is going to get really expensive with this surge in population.
I would have to agree. Denver is the hottest city right now for young professionals. Austin is probably a good place to buy as well. Lots of Californians moving to Texas.

Old 11-26-2017, 08:07 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
The states with the highest percentages of native born current residents:

The states with the most native-born residents

Quote:
1. Louisiana (78.8)
2. Michigan (76.6)
3. Ohio (75.1)
4. Pennsylvania (74)
5. Wisconsin (72.1)
6. Mississippi (71.9)
7. Iowa (71.7)
8. West Virginia (71.1)
9. Kentucky (70.3)
10. Alabama (70)

Old 11-27-2017, 09:51 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The states with the highest percentages of native born current residents:

The states with the most native-born residents
Not surprising at all. I live in Wisconsin for a time, and I seldom met anyone who grew up in another state. I can completely believe Michigan being on this list, and I suspect that Minnesota isn't far down the list, either.

In New England, there is a fair amount of movement within the region, but the relative small size of states makes this a bit easier. There are people working in metro Boston who live in RI and NH, too...

Old 11-27-2017, 10:41 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Northeastern PA (NEPA) where I'm from and PA in general has a very high elderly population that were born there and they will die there. I got out, but will always be a proud Scrantonian and Pennsylvanian, even if I never live there again. At one point, I think PA had the 2nd highest senior citizen population, per capita, only behind FL, not sure if that is still the case though.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:14 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
Think of it this way. In 1980, five hundred people are born in Town A. In 2015, two hundred of them have left and only ten people of the same year have moved in. According to your link's method, over 97% of people in that town is native born, but also only 60% of the locals have choose to stay. Compare that to Town B, in which two hundred people are born in 1980. By 2015, ten leave but three hundred people from elsewhere of the same year move in. According to your link's method, only 39% of residents are native born, but over 95% of locals have choose to stay. For what the OP here is asking ("regions where you've noticed the locals tend to stick around"), Town B is a much better fit but your argument would be that Town A is a better fit, despite a greater percentage of its locals deciding to leave.
Exactly. The percentage of native born residents of a given place is a definitely not the same as of the percentage of all natives living in their state of birth.

Pew Research actually did a report on this exact question, which they termed "magnet" versus "sticky" states (referring to the rank of states based on percentage of non-native born residents and the rank of states based on the percentage of population born in a state and still living in their native state):

Interactive: Sticky States | Pew Research Center

Although a little dated at this point (from 2009), it likely hasn't changed dramatically. Interestingly, Texas is considered to be the most "sticky" state, with 75.8% of native Texans still living in Texas. Also interestingly, it's New York that has the fewest residents born in a different state (although since this study only refers to domestic births, that obviously doesn't account for the very high immigration levels there).

Old 11-27-2017, 11:48 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
West Virginia definitely comes to mind. Even when someone leaves, they often end up going back for family reasons. Also some young people leave for work but their lifelong dream is to one day return to West Virginia and many do after retirement. I lived there for 4 years and there is definitely a magic and charm to the place if you go there with a non-elitist open mind. I had to leave because of the War on Coal's effects on the overall economy and now I live in my native state of Louisiana (didn't want to live in Maryland again which is where I lived in between.)

And speaking of Louisiana this is another state where people often don't leave and people who leave often return. Here for Thanksgiving most people just travel locally or within the state to visit relatives vs have to fly halfway across the country. Or they go to nearby places like Alabama, Texas, and Mississippi. There are very few transplants in Louisiana compared to other parts of the South that are being completely overrun by them like North Carolina, Georgia, Virginia, South Carolina, Texas and especially Florida. Here native Southerners and Louisiana natives are a clear majority to the extent that transplants/outsiders have no influence on our culture whatsoever. Same was true in West Virginia.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:51 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Exactly. The percentage of native born residents of a given place is a definitely not the same as of the percentage of all natives living in their state of birth.

Pew Research actually did a report on this exact question, which they termed "magnet" versus "sticky" states (referring to the rank of states based on percentage of non-native born residents and the rank of states based on the percentage of population born in a state and still living in their native state):

Interactive: Sticky States | Pew Research Center

Although a little dated at this point (from 2009), it likely hasn't changed dramatically. Interestingly, Texas is considered to be the most "sticky" state, with 75.8% of native Texans still living in Texas. Also interestingly, it's New York that has the fewest residents born in a different state (although since this study only refers to domestic births, that obviously doesn't account for the very high immigration levels there).
New York and New Jersey have been hemorraghing their native born population for years as many have moved south or west for lower taxes, better quality of life, less crime, etc. Illegal immigration and refugees is the only thing keeping these states (and California's) populations from dropping precipitously.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:33 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,420,713 times
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...abg=1#Virginia

Good article

Old 11-27-2017, 01:38 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,420,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
New York and New Jersey have been hemorraghing their native born population for years as many have moved south or west for lower taxes, better quality of life, less crime, etc. Illegal immigration and refugees is the only thing keeping these states (and California's) populations from dropping precipitously.
The largest group of immigrants to NJ are Indians who are mostly middle to high income but you can continue with your illegal immigration schtick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.