U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2017, 09:03 PM

1 posts, read 662 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for advice on where to move to in the US.

I'm used to living in Toronto and love the low crime, safety, and great public schools.

I can move to any major city as I have job offer from a company that has an offices in all major cities.

That being said, the main offices are in NJ, NYC and Denver.

My criteria are the following:
1. Crime & safety
2. Public schools
3. Open to minorities
4. Commute to major airport.
5. Travel to Toronto (via air)

Things that don't matter:
1. Employment
2. Traffic
3. Cost of living
4. Commute to work
5. Nightlife
6. Restaurant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 09:41 PM

6,319 posts, read 6,983,961 times
Hmm, if cost of living really doesn't matter then I'm thinking:

MD or VA suburbs of DC
NJ, CT or Hudson Valley suburbs of NYC
Northern or Western suburbs of Chicago

If you see a trend here, really any major city will have suburban areas that are safe with good public schools. They will usually be quite expensive, but since that doesn't matter you can take your pick. Good luck!!

Old 11-28-2017, 06:26 AM

21,207 posts, read 30,420,192 times
I think DC could be a really good option for you and provide a much less vertical experience in terms of cityscape (feels more European than NYC or Toronto) along with all of the other items on your wish list. In terms of focus areas check out Falls Church City (versus county) in Virginia and Rockville in Maryland. Both offer easy mobility/access to DC via the Metro system and are extremely family-friendly.

About Falls Church | Falls Church, VA - Official Website
Rockville, MD - Official Website - About Rockville

Old 11-28-2017, 07:00 AM

34,411 posts, read 41,518,327 times
Any particular reason for this move from Toronto?

Old 11-28-2017, 08:02 AM

1,285 posts, read 754,770 times
Given your list of things that don't matter, you might as well live in Westchester County just north of NYC.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:06 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,040,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingman10 View Post
I'm looking for advice on where to move to in the US.

I'm used to living in Toronto and love the low crime, safety, and great public schools.

I can move to any major city as I have job offer from a company that has an offices in all major cities.

That being said, the main offices are in NJ, NYC and Denver.

My criteria are the following:
1. Crime & safety
2. Public schools
3. Open to minorities
4. Commute to major airport.
5. Travel to Toronto (via air)

Things that don't matter:
1. Employment
2. Traffic
3. Cost of living
4. Commute to work
5. Nightlife
6. Restaurant
You didn't say where in NJ, so I'll assume somewhere in NYC metro area. And I'd opt for that (i.e., NE NJ): good public schools should be easy to find; your access to Newark Airport is good (car/rail). I can't speak to crime/openness to minorities, but have to believe there's somewhere that checks both of those off your list. Plus, in that area you can easily get to NYC, mountains/greenery (Poconos, in PA, Delaware Water Gap, Delaware River) and beach (aka "The Shore"). So just for the variety of what you can do, I'd opt for that part of NJ. If you want the Urban Experience and can afford extortionate rent, go directly to NYC. As for Denver ... it's always left me cold: mountains are beautiful, the city feels small to me, but the big gotcha seems to me that if you want to experience anything other than mountains you have to fly (maybe too much of a generalization). I greatly prefer the NorthEast (I live in Philly), where cities, coast, and mountains are readily accessible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or