U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-12-2017, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Denver CO
21,177 posts, read 11,791,368 times
Reputation: 32193

Advertisements

You do realize that just because it's legal, they don't MAKE you use it, right? Just like alcohol, no one is forcing you to participate. I live in CO and while I used pot when younger, I haven't even set foot into a MJ shop here because I am just not interested at this point in my life. It has no impact on me, other than the fact that there are almost no store fronts in strip malls sitting vacant, which is a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-12-2017, 08:43 AM
 
Location: Downtown & Brooklyn!
2,122 posts, read 1,309,145 times
Reputation: 1831
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
You do realize that just because it's legal, they don't MAKE you use it, right? Just like alcohol, no one is forcing you to participate. I live in CO and while I used pot when younger, I haven't even set foot into a MJ shop here because I am just not interested at this point in my life. It has no impact on me, other than the fact that there are almost no store fronts in strip malls sitting vacant, which is a good thing.
I’m pretty sure everyone is aware that the law doesn’t force people to get high. Tbh tho we all know a few people that could use it

Last edited by That_One_Guy; 12-12-2017 at 08:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2017, 08:48 AM
 
Location: "The Dirty Irv" Irving, TX
2,808 posts, read 1,305,104 times
Reputation: 3211
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I think Massachusetts was first on gay marriage. Iowa to me seems like a dark horse in this race. I feel like it’s far too conservative. Although you’re right that they were one of the first States to legalize same sex marriage, which was kind of a shocker.
Iowa isn't conservative. It's pretty middle of the road actually. Obama won it twice. It was the 4th state to legalize Same Sex Marriage. The state usually scores highly on education. Iowa produces the 3rd most wind energy after Texas and California. It only produces a few hundred less megawatts than California even though it is a much smaller state.

It is a different type of liberalism than city liberalism, but my cousins who live there are all very progressive. 3 of them have PHDs, 2 in conservation, but all of them fish and hunt and own guns. My uncle who still lives on the old family farm was a high school principle before he retired as was his wife.

It would not surprise me at all if Iowa legalized pot sooner rather than later. It's a pretty moderate state all told and there is a very strong culture of pragmatism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2017, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Downtown & Brooklyn!
2,122 posts, read 1,309,145 times
Reputation: 1831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Iowa isn't conservative. It's pretty middle of the road actually. Obama won it twice. It was the 4th state to legalize Same Sex Marriage. The state usually scores highly on education. Iowa produces the 3rd most wind energy after Texas and California. It only produces a few hundred less megawatts than California even though it is a much smaller state.

It is a different type of liberalism than city liberalism, but my cousins who live there are all very progressive. 3 of them have PHDs, 2 in conservation, but all of them fish and hunt and own guns. My uncle who still lives on the old family farm was a high school principle before he retired as was his wife.

It would not surprise me at all if Iowa legalized pot sooner rather than later. It's a pretty moderate state all told and there is a very strong culture of pragmatism.
Perhaps Iowa is more liberal than I thought. But it’s not exactly what comes to mind when you think of liberal States. And honestly, how liberal can a State really be if they voted for Trump? And by a pretty decent margin too. I think you’re probably right that middle of the road seems more appropriate. Though to me, “Middle of the Road” in American terms is more equal to “Right” or “Center Right” by general Western World standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2017, 10:37 AM
 
4,668 posts, read 6,115,072 times
Reputation: 5840
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I think Massachusetts was first on gay marriage. Iowa to me seems like a dark horse in this race. I feel like it’s far too conservative. Although you’re right that they were one of the first States to legalize same sex marriage, which was kind of a shocker.

No one said Iowa was first on gay marriage.

The conversation is states that will push MJ thru with state legislation and not a voter ballot. Which is how Iowa legalized gay marriage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2017, 11:00 AM
 
Location: "The Dirty Irv" Irving, TX
2,808 posts, read 1,305,104 times
Reputation: 3211
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Perhaps Iowa is more liberal than I thought. But it’s not exactly what comes to mind when you think of liberal States. And honestly, how liberal can a State really be if they voted for Trump? And by a pretty decent margin too. I think you’re probably right that middle of the road seems more appropriate. Though to me, “Middle of the Road” in American terms is more equal to “Right” or “Center Right” by general Western World standards.
I mean Trump only won 51% of the vote, and that is with a high turnout of the Republican base and a low turnout of the Democratic base. Obama won 54% and 52% of the vote respectively. I would describe Iowa as moderately liberal, I don't think swinging for Trump really changes that.

I think what a lot of people don't realize is how much most of middle America hated Clinton, even my liberal family all hated her. No one knows what would have happened for sure, but I think Bernie would have had a better shot in Iowa than Clinton, I'm pretty sure much of my family who live there voted green or wrote him in.


Globally. Right and Left are pretty subjective to local norms. I think perhaps by European standards, the US is center right, but at the same time you can't really accurately compare European and American politics since the history, political structure, and physical structures are so different.

For example: Gun control isn't a Right vs Left issue in Europe. It is in the states. That doesn't mean it is inherently a right vs left thing all the time, Far right wing governments have historically also had strict gun control. Gun control is the status quo in Europe, so arguably it is the conservative position. In the States it is not.

I also don't really believe in a global binary of Progressive vs Conservative. It all depends what you are trying to conserve or what you consider progress.

I could be a Progressive in Saudi Arabia, a Conservative in San Francisco, and a Pseudo-Libertarian in Europe without changing my views on anything.



All that said, by American Standards, Iowa is Center. On social issues without a doubt center left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2017, 12:55 PM
 
4,668 posts, read 6,115,072 times
Reputation: 5840
I grew up in Iowa. Davenport.. Very few of the true blue liberals I know bothered to vote for Clinton.. Bernie would have taken Iowa... To be honest I think it had more to do with no one believing Trump actually had a shot. If the polls had been correct a lot more people would have gotten off the couch and voted for Clinton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2017, 03:32 PM
 
Location: East of the Mississippi and South of Bluegrass
4,454 posts, read 3,756,870 times
Reputation: 9612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I am one of the rare people who hates pot and I am in total awe of any state where its still illegal. I am curious what do you predict will be the last state to legalize marijuana? My guess is Utah but it very well could be a state in the deep South.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Oddly, I know or have met many republicans who are pot smokers. So, I wouldn't be so sure it's a republican thing.

And states that need money may end up legalizing it just so they can tax it.

And I wonder if states that have high opioid addiction problems might not legalize pot, if it might help turn things around.

Some might want the tax money, but not want to say they're legalizing pot, so they'll "just" legalize it for medical purposes only. And tax it.

Guess I've lived long enough to realize you just never know. I wouldn't want to guess.
Marijuana is the least of America's 'drug' problem. It should have been legalized long before now and maybe there would not be a worse epidemic in our midst.

The 10 Worst States for the Deadly Drug Crisis


Ironically, as President Trump and members of Congress have elevated opioid addiction and drug overdoses to a top issue, the biggest problems can literally be found in the back yard of the White House and the U.S. Capitol.

A new study by the online research group WalletHub found that the District of Columbia, far and away, has a bigger drug addiction problem than any of the 50 states. In the ranking of states with the most serious drug problems, DC is followed by Vermont, Colorado, Delaware, Rhode Island, Oregon, Connecticut, Arizona, Massachusetts and Michigan.

The District of Columbia has long been a center of illicit drug trafficking and abuse, even as the city has undergone a major demographic shift over the past couple of decades marked by massive commercial expansion, residential gentrification, a declining black population and a huge influx of wealthy businessmen, lawyers and government officials.

The WalletHub analysis shows the District of Columbia ranked first nationally in the percentage of adults who needed but didn’t receive treatment for illicit drug use in the past year and second in the percentage of teens and adults who used illicit drugs in the past month.

https://www.usnews.com/opinion/world...o-over-opioids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2017, 12:39 AM
 
11,456 posts, read 6,587,525 times
Reputation: 6091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I grew up in Iowa. Davenport.. Very few of the true blue liberals I know bothered to vote for Clinton.. Bernie would have taken Iowa... To be honest I think it had more to do with no one believing Trump actually had a shot. If the polls had been correct a lot more people would have gotten off the couch and voted for Clinton.
Berniebros are not real liberals in my opinion. And I say this as someone who voted for Bernie.

It seems like people who want socialism or communism but don't care about social issues that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2017, 10:52 AM
 
Location: "The Dirty Irv" Irving, TX
2,808 posts, read 1,305,104 times
Reputation: 3211
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Berniebros are not real liberals in my opinion. And I say this as someone who voted for Bernie.

It seems like people who want socialism or communism but don't care about social issues that much.
Sure there is a focus on economics and socialism, but I've never known a Berniebro who is prolife, supports voter ID laws, wants to build the wall, oppose transgender people serving in the military, or any other social Conservative agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top