U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2017, 08:01 PM

7,582 posts, read 3,999,195 times

Advertisements

You can walk all over downtown ATL and every downtown in the south. You are focused on trains, subways, not walkability.

Visitors to Greenville often talk about how walkable it is. This couldn't have resulted from a subway that Greenville doesn't have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 08:10 PM

2,085 posts, read 1,102,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
You can walk all over downtown ATL and every downtown in the south. You are focused on trains, subways, not walkability.

Visitors to Greenville often talk about how walkable it is. This couldn't have resulted from a subway that Greenville doesn't have.
I mean, you can walk all of Acadia National Park. I'm still not going to call it walkable. Also, ATL and Houston are ghost towns by foot traffic standards compared to a Chicago or NYC. Let's at least agree on that.

And if someone from Manhattan came to Greenville, would they talk about how walkable it is?

The answer is no. There is simply no comparison. Which is what the original OP stated. Which is why we are having this conversation.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:10 PM

People from up north love downtown Greenville.

I worked up in NJ outside of Manhattan for 4 months, and I didn't care for Manhattan at all. It isn't aesthetically appealing to me.

For me walkable is directly proportional to how quaint the downtown area is.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:15 PM

2,507 posts, read 2,269,683 times
Quote:

We are NOT just talking about downtown. Most downtowns are mostly for work anyways. I'll use DC as an example since NYC is it's own beast. If you look at neighborhoods like DuPont, Adams Morgan, Georgetown, Shaw, Columbia Heights etc.. these are all neighborhoods you can literally walk to downtown from and are very walkable areas with tons of amenities. This results in a walkable city not just downtown. In Atlanta outside of Midtown there isn't as many walkable, dense neighborhoods that connect to downtown and you have highways biseccting portions of the city.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:17 PM

Greenville's downtown is mostly about post work fun time.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
We are NOT just talking about downtown. Most downtowns are mostly for work anyways. I'll use DC as an example since NYC is it's own beast. If you look at neighborhoods like DuPont, Adams Morgan, Georgetown, Shaw, Columbia Heights etc.. these are all neighborhoods you can literally walk to downtown from and are very walkable areas with tons of amenities. This results in a walkable city not just downtown. In Atlanta outside of Midtown there isn't as many walkable, dense neighborhoods that connect to downtown and you have highways biseccting portions of the city.
Adams Morgan is nice but what is the average housing cost and rent cost in that area? I don't think the typical person ends up living in that area.

Quote:
People from up north love downtown Greenville.

I worked up in NJ outside of Manhattan for 4 months, and I didn't care for Manhattan at all. It isn't aesthetically appealing to me.
Again, im sure Greenville is nice. I sure think Charleston is.

And while we're on the topic, I like Boston and Chicago more than Manhattan, and a significant amount more than northern NJ.

That doesn't change the fact that NYC is walkable.

I'm bowing out. Come to Boston next summer, and walk from the furthest west part of Newbury st. to the Boston Common to Beacon Hill to the river down to the North End through the Greenway over the bridge to Seaport.

That's what walkability looks like!

2,507 posts, read 2,269,683 times
Quote:
Adams Morgan is nice but what is the average housing cost and rent cost in that area?
I can afford it and I own my own home here along with everyone else in my condo complex... not sure why this is relevant. Are you going into the topic of walkable areas/cities being unaffordable?

Old 12-05-2017, 08:20 PM

I think southern downtowns give younger people more opportunity to live closer to the CBD than northern cities do.

I prefer to live in suburbs but I would prefer to live in downtown Greenville vs living in or near Adams Morgan.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Adams Morgan is nice but what is the average housing cost and rent cost in that area? I don't think the typical person ends up living in that area.
Confused why cost of living even a consideration when it comes to walkability. If it is, then I retract my comments about Boston and Manhattan because they're expensive as hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or