U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2017, 08:35 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,262,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
How many people with kids don't own a car and walk everywhere or use a subway?
I'm not sure. Let me know when you find that statistic. I know tons of people in Georgetown that kids and no car. I know of two couples with small kids in my building don't own a car either. We have parks, good schools, restaurants, daycare, grocery stores etc all within an easy waking distance or they just hop on the metro and go to the museum's, zoo etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 08:35 PM

7,580 posts, read 3,992,169 times
For people who don't have cars, do they make frequent trips to the grocery store, or just carry a lot of bags back to their house / apartment.

I have been ordering my groceries online, and I get to store, they put them in the trunk and off I go. That beats walking to a grocery store and back with them.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I'm not sure. Let me know when you find that statistic. I know tons of people in Georgetown that kids and no car. I know of two couples with small kids in my building don't own a car either. We have parks, good schools, restaurants, daycare, grocery stores etc all within an easy waking distance or they just hop on the metro and go to the museum's, zoo etc.
In my view, having to herd kids around on busy urban streets and subways doesn't sound like any fun. Granted, I have some wild kids.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:37 PM

2,081 posts, read 1,099,257 times
Quote:
For people who don't have cars, do they make frequent trips to the grocery store, or just carry a lot of bags back to their house / apartment.
When it's two blocks away, a trip to the store is done before the oven preheats. That said, I generally go every three days.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Most of us tend to the European style of grocery shopping... since its nearby and walkable we buy what we need for the day, night or just a few days. I go to trader Joe's and on the way home get bread from a small mom and pop bakery.

Quote:
Well your point only seems to be more people live up north, which nobody disputes. Obviously there are less people in the downtown area of a smaller metro.
But you keep suggesting it's too expensive yet more people live in these expensive walkable urban areas. I'm saying that you're complaint is just your personal issuem

Old 12-05-2017, 08:39 PM

I don't know if Adams Morgan is expensive or not. I do know DC has a lot of overpriced housing for what it is.

When I lived in Frederick, there were townhomes that probably wouldn't even fetch 100K in SC going for 300K. And Frederick is 45 minutes from DC in light traffic.

So I think young people who want that urban lifestyle can get better housing in the south than up north.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
I don't know if Adams Morgan is expensive or not. I do know DC has a lot of overpriced housing for what it is.
Again, this is relative to ones income and desired home location. Just because Winston Salem is cheap doesn't mean people will flock there.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:42 PM

2,081 posts, read 1,099,257 times
Quote:
What it is? Housing prices are determined by demand. What it is is a highly developed, largely white collar area with a limited quantity of housing versus demand.

Same goes for SF, NYC, Boston, San Diego, Seattle. And not Greenville.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:44 PM

Greenville is white collar. One of the highest number of engineers per capita.

There's probably a higher number of poor people in DC than the entire state of SC. A lot of rich people doesn't whitewash the poor people away. All those urban areas up north have areas with horrible poverty.

Anyway, it is always best to avoid these south vs north type of topics. Good night.

I think most people familiar with Greenville, Charleston, Wilmington, Savannah, Charlotte, etc would agree with me they are walkable. So there..

I could understand people saying ATL isn't walkable. It has a weird layout. But for the tourist stuff, it is walkable.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Greenville is white collar. One of the highest number of engineers per capita.

There's probably a higher number of poor people in DC than the entire state of SC. A lot of rich people doesn't whitewash the poor people away.

Anyway, it is always best to avoid these south vs north type of topics. Good night.
You are correct, just like there is a higher number of richer people in DC. it's just logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or