U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2017, 09:02 PM

2,504 posts, read 2,262,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
If you have to ride a subway everywhere, it isn't walkable. You aren't walking.

You don't have to ride a subway on a campus in a college town. A college town is the perfect example of walkable.
The poster didn't say people use subways, he specifically said people live without a cars fine, you are interjeccting the subway is not walkable theory here conveniently for your own argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 09:03 PM

2,082 posts, read 1,099,257 times
Did you miss the part where they said walk everywhere?

And even despite your disbelief from earlier *GASP* kids can even walk to school!! Oh the horror!!! The idea that these kids walk to school with their friends, and their parents don't have to worry about driving them.. simply too much to bare!

Old 12-05-2017, 09:03 PM

7,581 posts, read 3,992,169 times
In my view, if you don't live near work, you aren't really in a walkable situation. People that work spend most of their time there. I'd rather be able to walk to work than walk to places that I go less frequently like a barber shop.

It would be analogous to a college kid living 20 minutes off campus and taking a bus over talking about how walkable his apartment location is because it is near some grocery stores. I was always the kid who wanted to live on campus.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:06 PM

2,504 posts, read 2,262,328 times
Quote:
In my view, if you don't live near work, you aren't really in a walkable situation. People that work spend most of their time there. I'd rather be able to walk to work than walk to places that I go less frequently.
With that logic then i guess a farmer in the middle of Nebraska lives in a more walkable situation because he lives where he walks compared to someone who lives in the East Village/Lakeview and works in Chelsea/the Loop, which they can walk to but also take the subway/El or bus.

And again you're changing the topic.. walkable cities not ones personal preference of whether they want to walk to work or walk to all the amenities they want/need. In very walkable cities, both are achievable through many options, not just that one adjacent neighborhood.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
In my view, if you don't live near work, you aren't really in a walkable situation. People that work spend most of their time there. I'd rather be able to walk to work than walk to places that I go less frequently.
Well then in my opinion, if you dont live near a mattress shop then it's not walkable because you spend most of your time sleeping...

...Equally as illogical as what you just said.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
In my view, if you don't live near work, you aren't really in a walkable situation. People that work spend most of their time there. I'd rather be able to walk to work than walk to places that I go less frequently like a barber shop.

It would be analogous to a college kid living 20 minutes off campus and taking a bus over talking about how walkable his apartment location is because it is near some grocery stores. I was always the kid who wanted to live on campus.
Yet you're the adult who can't live without a car and who believes kids don't walk to school.

Man how things have changed.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:11 PM

A truly walkable living situation would ensure you never had to drive or use mass transit during rush hour.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Yet you're the adult who can't live without a car and who believes kids don't walk to school.

Man how things have changed.
I never said I couldn't live without a car. I just see no reason to live like people did prior to 1900's. I enjoy driving and it is more convenient and pleasant in my view than riding mass transit.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
A truly walkable living situation would ensure you never had to drive or use mass transit during rush hour.
Which will certainly be achieved at a higher frequency in Boston or Chicago than Houston or Orlando.

Question? No? Good.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
I never said I couldn't live without a car. I just see no reason to live like people did prior to 1900's.
Then why would you rather be the student on campus?

I know you southerners like your whiskey, but... lil H20 never hurts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or