U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2017, 01:50 PM

2,517 posts, read 2,283,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I don't think most people looking at this national forum are talking or thinking about neighborhoods away from CBD. That seems like a better topic for the city subforums.
People are though. The topic of this thread is talking about cities not downtowns..... most cities have at least a somewhat walkable downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 01:51 PM

7,595 posts, read 4,028,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
People are though. The topic of this thread is talking about cities not downtowns..... most cities have at least a somewhat walkable downtown.
I don't think it is clear that he's talking about random neighborhoods in a metro.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:54 PM

2,141 posts, read 1,399,970 times
Quote:
What exactly do you do where you live that you can't do in Greenville?

Do you have any hobbies outside of going to downtown areas? For example, you can't play golf in a CBD, unless it is a Top Golf place.

For me, happiness is more about hobbies and being around friends and family, not the number of blocks in a downtown area.
Raves, eat Tibetan food, go downstairs and go to a craft beer pub, indian restaurant, laundromat, and get a message without technically ever leaving my building (I need to go outside). Your preferences might not fit with an urban city, but that does not make Greenville anywhere remotely as 'walkable' (since this is debatable apparently) as the core cities of America. Also, I don't know why it's only the CBD that's being compared. I don't live in the 2 CBD's in Manhattan and I probably have more around me in variety than if I did, especially at a cheaper price point. I'm sure that applies to a lot of America too. If you have to get into a CAR to do things, it's in a different league.

Also some disclaimer, I'm using NYC as my guinea pig because I live here and know it best of the cities I know. I actually prefer Tokyo when making urban comparisons (I mean seriously, you could go to raves everyday, it's clean, quiet for a city its size, you can drink outside, the mass transit is god-like though crowded during rush hour, etc.), and while I don't like Chicago, I grew up around it and will admit it's a very 'walkable' city compared to most of the country.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
Raves, eat Tibetan food, go downstairs and go to a craft beer pub, indian restaurant, laundromat, and get a message without technically ever leaving my building (I need to go outside). Your preferences might not fit with an urban city, but that does not make Greenville anywhere remotely as 'walkable' (since this is debatable apparently) as the core cities of America. Also, I don't know why it's only the CBD that's being compared. I don't live in the 2 CBD's in Manhattan and I probably have more around me in variety than if I did, especially at a cheaper price point. I'm sure that applies to a lot of America too. If you have to get into a CAR to do things, it's in a different league.

Also some disclaimer, I'm using NYC as my guinea pig because I live here and know it best of the cities I know. I actually prefer Tokyo when making urban comparisons (I mean seriously, you could go to raves everyday, it's clean, quiet for a city its size, you can drink outside, the mass transit is god-like though crowded during rush hour, etc.), and while I don't like Chicago, I grew up around it and will admit it's a very 'walkable' city compared to most of the country.
You didn't mention any unique activities though. You go to a bar , restaurants, massage place in any city. You making it seem like some kind of novel deal. I give you the raves but I don't think most adults have any desire go to a rave.

I think the hype for NYC on here is unreal.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:58 PM

2,517 posts, read 2,283,565 times
Quote:
I don't think it is clear that he's talking about random neighborhoods in a metro.
The neighborhoods I showed you are in DC, not the metro.

the original message from the OP is below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Why can't we build compact, walkable cities in warm climates? Who cares if you can walk to amenities in Boston in January, I would rather be in my warm car. But go down to LA where it's 70 degrees out in "winter" and all of a sudden you need a car..
He say's cities, not downtowns. Adams Morgan is a neighborhood in DC.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:00 PM

12,455 posts, read 11,958,801 times
Quote:
Except people on here are talking about they can't walk everywhere, they have to take mass transit. Somehow you missed that part of my point.
As I said, I partly concur with you. Walkability and transit don't really have much to do with one another. All things considered, a city with high transit utilization will be more walkable, because that means less people have cars, which means more people will be walking, and there won't be as much demand for things like parking lots and multi-lane arterials which hurt walkability. But a compact small city or town can be just as walkable as a big city neighborhood. The difference is a big city is essentially dozens to hundreds of neighborhoods smooshed together.

Quote:
I don't think walkable is related to residential life for many people who use the word. Many people who visit downtown Greenville will say it is walkable.
Downtown Greenville looks walkable. But that doesn't mean the city as a whole is, just the area in and around Downtown. And it looks like with there are only a handful of residential areas which are close to the CBD (meaning a 15-minute walk).

Quote:
I took the OP as talking about CBDs, not neighborhoods in a metro.
I think you're mistaken. The OP is looking to relocate from Boston, and has been posting in the Pittsburgh forum. It's quite clear he's not talking about CBDs, he's talking about living in a walkable neighborhood.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:00 PM

Ok.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
As I said, I partly concur with you. Walkability and transit don't really have much to do with one another. All things considered, a city with high transit utilization will be more walkable, because that means less people have cars, which means more people will be walking, and there won't be as much demand for things like parking lots and multi-lane arterials which hurt walkability. But a compact small city or town can be just as walkable as a big city neighborhood. The difference is a big city is essentially dozens to hundreds of neighborhoods smooshed together.

Downtown Greenville looks walkable. But that doesn't mean the city as a whole is, just the area in and around Downtown. And it looks like with there are only a handful of residential areas which are close to the CBD (meaning a 15-minute walk).

I think you're mistaken. The OP is looking to relocate from Boston, and has been posting in the Pittsburgh forum. It's quite clear he's not talking about CBDs, he's talking about living in a walkable neighborhood.
If a person wants walkable, why wouldn't they just live in downtown Greenville? What difference does the rest of it make?

You can only live in one spot.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:03 PM

12,455 posts, read 11,958,801 times
Quote:
You didn't mention any unique activities though. You go to a bar , restaurants, massage place in any city. You making it seem like some kind of novel deal.
That is the big deal. That is what walkability is. It's that you walk out your front door, and in 10-15 minutes (hell, ideally five) you can walk to all of those things, rather than get in a car and drive to them in the same amount of time or longer.

Old 12-06-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
That is the big deal. That is what walkability is. It's that you walk out your front door, and in 10-15 minutes (hell, ideally five) you can walk to all of those things, rather than get in a car and drive to them in the same amount of time or longer.
In most cases they won't be able to walk to their job. That's kind of the most frequent and important commute. If you can walk to a barbershop but not to your job, it my view that isn't a big advantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or