U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-07-2017, 12:27 PM
 
10,071 posts, read 4,685,240 times
Reputation: 15353

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
How do you know there isn't a lot to walk to in Greenville? How do you define a lot to walk to?
nothing between the couch and the refrigerator, nothing to walk to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-07-2017, 12:42 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA (Morningside)
12,448 posts, read 11,951,877 times
Reputation: 10561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Generally the people that call me a homer are the true homers. You act like it is a slight to northern cities for me to say southern cities are as walkable. And I think there are a lot of people on here who are often making assertions about the south but haven't spent much time in southern cities.

I don't think you and others can articulate what amenities that Greenville doesn't have that northern cities do, outside of pro sports teams.
It's not about North Vs. South. I like New Orleans a lot, for example. I also don't have any issue with saying that somewhere like NYC, Boston, DC, or Philly is more walkable than my own city. And I don't have any issue with saying that where I live right now in Pittsburgh isn't very walkable at all (my walkscore is 42 - a bus stops right outside my front door, but it's a 15-minute walk from my home to get to a business district).

Plenty of southern cities have walkable cores. But that doesn't mean that they are as walkable, because, as I and other posters have repeatedly noted, the prewar core of most southern cities was very small compared to the average northeastern city, and basically everywhere in the country, from 1945 up until maybe 20 years ago, we just stopped building new walkable neighborhoods - at best maintaining the old ones.

People have repeatedly given you examples of what being in a walkable neighborhood means. To put it succinctly, it means you can get from your home to all of your daily needs without getting into a car. It does seem like you can do this in Downtown Greenville. But downtown Greenville is just one area. It looks like there are many new apartments there, but the closest residential areas, like the Pettigru Historic District, are still about a 15-minute walk away. That's about the same as what it takes me to walk to the nearest two business districts to my home. I do it when the weather is nice, but most of the time, I'll freely admit I drive - which is why an area isn't considered to be highly walkable if it's that far from a commercial area.

But walkability is on a spectrum, not an either or thing. That's why NYC is rightly considered king in the U.S. of walkability. There are so many tall buildings, and so many people, that retail can be supported in every neighborhood, and sometimes to a limited extent on every single street. If you live in NYC, it's highly likely that you will have many bars, restaurants, and coffeeshops within two blocks of you (if not on the first floor of your building) and some sort of bodega (small grocery store) on the walk to the nearest subway station. You literally can't get better than that when it comes to convenience by foot. And having access to amenities like that is key in a walkable lifestyle, because people go grocery shopping at least once per week, but they don't go to a ballgame that often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2017, 12:54 PM
 
2,517 posts, read 2,280,503 times
Reputation: 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I've noticed that you seem eager to be negative about the south on here in past interactions with you. If I say anything positive about SC, Greenville, or the south, it seems to annoy you.

Why are you and others up north so focused on the south anyway? I see these North vs South threads with silly generalizations all the time. Every city in the south has a different layout.

I have no obligation to validate your opinions about the south on here or confirm your definition of 'walkability' which is a subjective concept.

If a person doesn't think southern cities are as walkable, he or she has two options. Either accept it the southern cities are not as walkable, or move to a northern city that he or she thinks is more walkable.
Usually it's because you take it out of logical sense and formulate things to meet your prerogative. This topic alone is an example. Noone, including myself ever said Greenville was not walkable. Everyone basically just said pre-car, more dense cities were overall more walkable. It was you vs. everyone else..... you see how you're the odd man out here? I would never argue and say DC was more affordable, more north, smaller, has less traffic then Greenville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2017, 01:03 PM
 
2,517 posts, read 2,280,503 times
Reputation: 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Generally the people that call me a homer are the true homers. You act like it is a slight to northern cities for me to say southern cities are as walkable. And I think there are a lot of people on here who are often making assertions about the south but haven't spent much time in southern cities.

I don't think you and others can articulate what amenities that Greenville doesn't have that northern cities do, outside of pro sports teams.
Let's see.. what's Greenvilles comparables to Hollywood, Broadway, Smithsonian institutions, Miami's beaches, Bryant Park Fashion Week, Golden Gate Bridge, SF area wineries, Chicago's skyline, Seattle geography, SD's weather, Orlando's amusement parks, Las Vegas's Strip, New Orleans French Quarter, Ft. Lauderdale's crusies, Denver's skiing, Boston's history etc.... Greenville is a fine city but alot of cities not just Northern one's have amenities that Greenville doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2017, 01:06 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,595 posts, read 4,023,295 times
Reputation: 2933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Let's see.. what's Greenvilles comparables to Hollywood, Broadway, Smithsonian institutions, Miami's beaches, Bryant Park Fashion Week, Golden Gate Bridge, SF area wineries, Chicago's skyline, Seattle geography, SD's weather, Orlando's amusement parks, Las Vegas's Strip, New Orleans French Quarter, Ft. Lauderdale's crusies, Denver's skiing, Boston's history etc.... Greenville is a fine city but alot of cities not just Northern one's have amenities that Greenville doesn't.
I obviously wasn't talking about unique tourist stuff related to the city's location.


For example, Greenville is close to the Blue Ridge mountains and most other cities are not. Nothing to do with the city's amenities though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2017, 01:08 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,595 posts, read 4,023,295 times
Reputation: 2933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Why can't we build compact, walkable cities in warm climates? Who cares if you can walk to amenities in Boston in January, I would rather be in my warm car. But go down to LA where it's 70 degrees out in "winter" and all of a sudden you need a car..
The OP does not indicate that southern cities are walkable. His post specifically implies southern cities are not walkable, not merely less walkable.

My posts were in response to his post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2017, 01:09 PM
 
2,517 posts, read 2,280,503 times
Reputation: 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I obviously wasn't talking about unique tourist stuff related to the city's location.


For example, Greenville is close to the Blue Ridge mountains and most other cities are not. Nothing to do with the city's amenities though.
But these are all unique locations/activities to each city that are world famous. Greenville is near the Blue Ridge as is DC, Charlotte, Atlanta, Knoxville, Asheville, Roanoke and Baltimore.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Ridge_Mountains

You specifically asked what amenities and these are all amenities that people from all over the country and world visit these locations for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post

I don't think you and others can articulate what amenities that Greenville doesn't have that northern cities do, outside of pro sports teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2017, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,595 posts, read 4,023,295 times
Reputation: 2933
Ok but Greenville has access to Blue Ridge mountains. Every city has some unique things.

My point was asking what specifically can people do in an northern city that they can't do in Greenville's downtown, outside of unique things.

What generally happens is you guys will talk about number of blocks, number of people, density, tall buildings, larger number of restaurants and bars, etc but you don't specify any more 'things to do'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2017, 01:16 PM
 
2,517 posts, read 2,280,503 times
Reputation: 1851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Ok but Greenville has access to Blue Ridge mountains. Every city has some unique things.

My point was asking what specifically can people do in an northern city that they can't do in Greenville's downtown, outside of unique things.

What generally happens is you guys will talk about number of blocks, number of people, density, tall buildings, larger number of restaurants and bars, etc but you don't specify any more 'things to do'.
If you are specifically meaning every day activities then almost every city has everyday amenities nearby. No city is unique with the ability to go to a restaurant or a movie theatre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2017, 01:16 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,595 posts, read 4,023,295 times
Reputation: 2933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
But these are all unique locations/activities to each city that are world famous. Greenville is near the Blue Ridge as is DC, Charlotte, Atlanta, Knoxville, Asheville, Roanoke and Baltimore.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Ridge_Mountains

You specifically asked what amenities and these are all amenities that people from all over the country and world visit these locations for.
My point wasn't about attractions that visitors come for. It was about daily life amenities for residents. You realize that you were talking about daily residential life in cities, right? So why did you pivot to talking about tourist attractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top