U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2017, 04:02 PM

6,860 posts, read 7,809,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
'Quality' is a subjective thing. I don't think you can prove stuff up there is of higher quality than stuff in cities in the south.
Is that all you have to say in response to my post? You asked the following:
Quote:
What do northern cities have that Greenville doesn't?
I gave a pretty exhaustive list of places and services that are reachable by foot. In fact, it’s actually easier to get by in Philly without a car than with one. How does Greenville compare?

As for quality, my guess is that the arts scene in Philly is probably of a higher quality than that of Greenville. Try to convince me I’m wrong.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Ditto. I am so happy with our recent move to Milwaukee. We can and do walk everywhere. The only time our kids are in the car is for hockey practice on the weekends.
Each adult in Houston basically needs their own car to live a convenient life. In contrast, in Center City Philly, using a car is more of a problem than an asset. We went from 2 cars to one when we moved here and many weeks, the car only goes out once each week when I volunteer at a nursing home about 7 miles each way. We hold onto the car because itís convenient to visit family a couple hours away and also for occasional big box runs and weekend getaways.

Old 12-07-2017, 04:33 PM

1,987 posts, read 1,239,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Yes, there are many more smaller shops in Buffalo than Houston, but I also counted a Target store as 1 of the 158 businesses within walking distance. Houston has many more parking lots around businesses, few shared with neighboring businesses, and typically mostly empty except for the supermarket and the bars at peak times. Most businesses in Buffalo do not have or need their own parking lots, even bars serving dozens of patrons.

I also think that Walk Score made an error in calculating transit to CBD, as it chose a neighboring suburban business area as CBD rather than downtown Buffalo. There are 4 bus routes that serve the neighborhood, but only 1 of those went to the suburban district. I also see that there are many smaller shops in Buffalo that don't show up on Google maps, so probably walk Score isn't counting them.
Yeah Walkscore is kind of screwy and doesn't take into account the "quality" of the walking experience. I'm very familiar with Houston's "walking" experience and the overabundance of parking and building setbacks. Dallas has some of the same issues, although to a lesser degree. The walking experience gap between the two is actually widening with Dallas investing in wider sidewalks, fewer building setbacks, and more relaxed minimum parking requirements. Even then, I don't see it becoming Buffalo anytime soon.

Old 12-07-2017, 04:36 PM

1,987 posts, read 1,239,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I lived in 77006 (your zip code) for 15 years and feel you have done a great job of characterizing the retail scene - basically a series of strip malls fronted by broken sidewalks separated from the storefronts by arge asphalt parking lots. What you haven’t yet brought up is the oppressive heat and humidity which further make walking in Houston a fairly uninviting prospect for much of the year.
But couldn't that be the perfect excuse to make things more "walkable" so you don't have to walk that far in the heat and humidity? I see that same lame excuse from some stubborn Dallas posters on here that we shouldn't bother with walkability due to the heat. Lots of hot weather cities worldwide are incredibly urban. I mean if NOLA can do it, so can Houston.

Old 12-07-2017, 04:43 PM

18,927 posts, read 6,881,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
But couldn't that be the perfect excuse to make things more "walkable" so you don't have to walk that far in the heat and humidity? I see that same lame excuse from some stubborn Dallas posters on here that we shouldn't bother with walkability due to the heat. Lots of hot weather cities worldwide are incredibly urban. I mean if NOLA can do it, so can Houston.
Look at Manilla, the most densely populated major city in the entire world, and they're hot and humid year round

Old 12-07-2017, 04:50 PM

7,585 posts, read 4,011,810 times
Quote:
Is that all you have to say in response to my post? You asked the following:

I gave a pretty exhaustive list of places and services that are reachable by foot. In fact, it’s actually easier to get by in Philly without a car than with one. How does Greenville compare?

As for quality, my guess is that the arts scene in Philly is probably of a higher quality than that of Greenville. Try to convince me I’m wrong.
You can walk to all the same kind of places in cities the south.

And I'm pretty sure your defintiion of walkable includes taking mass transit. I don't think most people are going to be within walking distance of a symphony, for example, if you are just talking about a neighborhood, not a CBD.

Here is an example of a walkable neighborhood in the south, introducing 5 Points in Columbia SC. http://fivepointscolumbia.com/events
It is located next to one of the largest universities in the country, the University of South Carolina.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 12-07-2017 at 05:11 PM..

Old 12-07-2017, 05:12 PM

22,156 posts, read 23,683,428 times
Quote:

And I'm pretty sure your defintiion of walkable includes taking mass transit. I don't think most people are going to be withing walking distance of a symphony, for example, if you are just talking about a neighborhood, not a CBD.
How many of your peers do you know in Greenville donít drive daily or donít own a car by choice? How many do drive daily and own a car?

Old 12-07-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:

And I'm pretty sure your defintiion of walkable includes taking mass transit. I don't think most people are going to be withing walking distance of a symphony, for example, if you are just talking about a neighborhood, not a CBD.
Nope. I walk to all those places and more. Mass transit takes me even further - pro sports facilities for example. Heading off to the symphony in a few minutes. 2 blocks away. Do a little research on Center City Philadelphia. Itís clear you have little if any knowledge about it.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:15 PM

7,585 posts, read 4,011,810 times
Quote:
Nope. I walk to all those places and more. Mass transit takes me even further - pro sports facilities for example. Heading off to the symphony in a few minutes. 2 blocks away. Do a little research on Center City Philadelphia. It’s clear you have little if any knowledge about it.
It is true that I have as much knowledge of Philly as you have of Greenville and other cities in the south.

I don't think Center City Philly is the kind of neighborhood that we have been discussing on here. When I pointed out downtowns in the south are walkable, the discussion shifted to neighborhoods. I think it is probably pretty rare a person not in a downtown area could walk to a symphony.

If you live in downtown Greenville, you can walk to the performing arts center and other theaters down there, as well as musuem, library, zoo, parks, restaurants, bars, baseball stadium, hockey arena / convention center / concert venue, etc.

Old 12-07-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
How many of your peers do you know in Greenville donít drive daily or donít own a car by choice? How many do drive daily and own a car?
Had dinner with two friends Tuesday. Theyíre going careless when their lease expires. Fairly common here. In Greenville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or