U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2017, 06:37 PM

7,964 posts, read 4,089,624 times

Advertisements

Ok, so why are there people prefer to live in downtown Greenville or Uptown Charlotte than Adams Morgan. You've just said DC is more walkable and yet there are 'walkable' fans who would prefer to live in southern city.

This indicates your point is irrelevant.

It is like pointing out DC has more bars. Ok, but Greenville has plenty of bars.

Good night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 06:40 PM

7,964 posts, read 4,089,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Northern Cities in general are more walkable and if Greenville was as desirable as you say then why is it a small city? People should be flocking there, but more people live in places like DC and NYC. goodnight.
NYC and Chicago lead the country in people leaving them for other places. If they are so desirable, why are so many northerners moving down south?

Perhaps they associate 'walkability' with warmer weather.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:57 PM

2,092 posts, read 1,126,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
NYC and Chicago lead the country in people leaving them for other places. If they are so desirable, why are so many northerners moving down south?

Perhaps they associate 'walkability' with warmer weather.
NYC population has grown every year since 1991. Anyone who leaves does so in search of low cost of living and opportunity. Those who stay do so because they have the opportunity..well, make a ton of money, and probably love it. NYC is an easy place to love when you're in a good financial situation, and an easy place to dread when you're not.

As for Chicago- It's public sector is failing. It's educational system is crumbling. All of which is happening despite the highest tax rates in the country. We are quite literally watching the demise of a classic, first tier city. It's very sad. In fact I think it's the only major American city with a decling population YoY.

The south will continue to consume folks and grow rapidly, especially those that aren't in a good situation up north. But as sad as it is, well-to-do and able folks seem to stay in the major metropolitan areas north and west. Why migrate to the Southeast if it's not in search of better opportunity or cheaper cost of living? The weather isn't even nice in the Southeast.

If I'm wealthy, and I'm sick of Chicago or NYC.. I'll see you in San Diego.

Old 12-07-2017, 10:11 PM

2,920 posts, read 1,351,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Northern Cities in general are more walkable and if Greenville was as desirable as you say then why is it a small city? People should be flocking there, but more people live in places like DC and NYC. goodnight.
I don't think that is necessarily true.

While it is true that in some cases desirable areas grow, sometimes incredibly desirable areas still have small populations or less desirable areas attract people for jobs (which I guess are themselves desirable) The point being, Boston being smaller than NYC doesn't mean it is inherently less desirable, or Charleston being smaller than Boston make it less desirable. Boulder is very desirable and isn't that large.

I think the Simpsonsvillan has made some pretty bizarre claims, but I think it is silly to make how many people live somewhere the definitive measure of how desireable of a place it is, some of the most desirable places don't have massive populations.

Also, Greenville is actually growing quite a bit, and I don't think it is just because it is cheap, although affordability is also desirable. I do think people are selling short it's walk-ability, although of course you will have more options in larger cities which should be a given.

I think he also does bring up a valid point that car ownership doesn't necessarily mean a place isn't walkable. I know many small towns that have great urban bones in which you could get everything you need by walking. My grandma lives in a town like that in Iowa. You can bank, get food, drink, all the typical stuff you would do in an urban neighborhood in the small town. The towns were built this way because 130 years ago everyone there walked too.

The big difference is you can't hop a train to get to the neighborhood over for variety or to see your friend so everyone owns a car because the towns are all several miles apart and the only way to get between them is with a car.

Still, when I visit my grandmother I park and we walk to the square, church etc, and I only drive if Im going a town over.

The obvious to to me is having spent alot of times in both is that big cities arn't just really big small towns or even a collection of small towns, there are some fundamental differences between the way they function which means comparing things like density or transit are effectively meaningless in that context.

Old 12-08-2017, 01:53 AM

4,254 posts, read 2,873,723 times
Why do you guys still entertain Simpsonvillian?

Old 12-08-2017, 05:33 AM

2,092 posts, read 1,126,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Why do you guys still entertain Simpsonvillian?
Honestly the best question anyone has asked on this thread.

Old 12-10-2017, 03:40 PM
_OT

2,147 posts, read 1,539,041 times
Greenville is the premier city in the Southeast, you guys need to stop being homers and realize how Urban, Unique and World-Class Downtown Greenville is.

Old 12-10-2017, 05:21 PM

4,917 posts, read 3,035,531 times
Quote:
Your assertion that south 'lags' is your opinion. I know a lot of people would prefer to live in downtown Greenville than Adams Morgan.
Different strokes, but do you ever think that people just tell you things that you want to hear?

Old 12-10-2017, 06:21 PM

22,363 posts, read 23,839,391 times
Quote:
Walkable has nothing to do with owning a car. There is nothing that prevents a person from walking if they do own a car.

Also, most people go out of town at some point on vacation or for work.
Sure, but that was just part of the question. Who among your peers you know do not drive daily? How many of them do you know do drive daily?

Old 12-10-2017, 07:30 PM

6,876 posts, read 7,847,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Sure, but that was just part of the question. Who among your peers you know do not drive daily? How many of them do you know do drive daily?
Donít expect a cogent response.

I have another good gauge for judging the walkability of a city. It goes like this:

If you are traveling to [fill in the blank city]:
1. Do you need a rental car to attend to your business? or
2. Would a rental car be more of a hindrance than a help?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or