U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2017, 05:40 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,200,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Donít expect a cogent response.

I have another good gauge for judging the walkability of a city. It goes like this:

If you are traveling to [fill in the blank city]:
1. Do you need a rental car to attend to your business? or
2. Would a rental car be more of a hindrance than a help?
3. There are many people actually walking around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 01:50 PM

4,220 posts, read 2,503,558 times
I learned the downside of living in a highly walkable area this weekend. We were out of town on Saturday when the city saw it's first measurable snowfall of the season. By the time I was able to shovel on Sunday morning the minor dusting had compacted under numerous boot prints. It made for a little harder shoveling than need be. Lesson learned. I shoveled twice this morning before work.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:26 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,663,831 times
Not all cold areas get snow. Mine is known for having a lot of 40 n drizzly in the winter.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:35 PM

6,488 posts, read 16,152,784 times
To me, walkability means more than "there are sidewalks" or "there are people walking around," it means all or most of your needs can be met within a walking distance.

I live in a "cold climate," (it's not really very cold, but whatever). And I do not own a car. So I walk to most everything I need. My test for "walkability" is whether or not ALL OF the following are within reasonable walking distance of your home, and that there is sufficient infrastructure to ensure it's safe to do so. These are the basics:

1. Supermarket
2. Green grocers
3. Bodega/convenience store(s)
4. Liquor store(s)
5. Pharmacies
6. Parks!
7. Laundromat/dry cleaning
8. Hardware stores!
9. Bagels/coffee
10. Restaurants/take-out
11. Neighborhood bars/watering holes
12. UPS store, Amazon locker, post office, etc.
13. Gyms, fitness/yoga/etc studios
14. Banks/ATMs
15. 24-hour diner(s)
16. At least a handful of retailers (apparel, electronics, books and stationery, etc.)
17. Your polling place
18. Schools/daycare
19. Civic services (library, community association)
20. Barber shops/salons
21. Public space where festivals, gatherings, farmers markets, police briefings, etc. happen.
22. Local theater or performance space
23. Doctors, dentists, Urgent Care, Hospitals, Vets
24. Places of worship (if you're into that)
25. Transit station(s), zipcars, and/or bike share, so you can get farther away when you want to.

I didn't include large regional entertainment venues, or NFL stadiums. They're nice to have in walking distance, but they're usually destinations for special events, special occasions (at least in my household) and you can hop a train to them if you need to.

If all of the 25 above are in a comfortable walking distance (0.5-1.0 mile), you live in a walkable area. And this doesn't have to be downtown.

Old 12-11-2017, 08:22 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,157,131 times
^For me, this confirms that walkability is relative. It takes me 15 minutes to walk a mile, and I do not need to be within a 15 minute walk to all of those things (most of which I only visit once a year; if that)...The only destinations I would want to be that close are the supermarket, the corner store and the transit station; maybe a couple of restaurants. I'm perfectly fine making it a longer trip for everything else.

Last edited by Gunion Powder; 12-11-2017 at 08:31 PM..

Old 12-11-2017, 10:49 PM

I need my job to be walkable too, at least as long as I'm single. I like my 8-10 minute stroll. I can also hit department stores within the mile radius so that's good.

As for restaurants, bars, coffee shops, etc, I'll take several hundred over a handful...lots of cuisines, lots of quality levels, can always find new options when the known options don't seem as good....

Old 12-13-2017, 08:21 AM

6,852 posts, read 7,797,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
I need my job to be walkable too, at least as long as I'm single. I like my 8-10 minute stroll. I can also hit department stores within the mile radius so that's good.

As for restaurants, bars, coffee shops, etc, I'll take several hundred over a handful...lots of cuisines, lots of quality levels, can always find new options when the known options don't seem as good....
Agree that variety makes life that much more enjoyable. Not everyone appreciates quality cuisine, however.

Earlier in this thread, I listed some of the necessities and amenities we have within a 1 mile radius, using pedestrian-sized sidewalks. My husband walks to work (a 15 minute stroll) though he’ll be joining me in retirement in a few months. Even though I don’t work, I make it a point to get outside at least once each day, barring a hard rain. Many of these journeys are to purchase food. When we’re not eating out, we like to prepare our meals with fresh ingredients. Within 20 minutes, I can reach Reading Terminal Market, a Whole Foods, one standard grocery store and a handful of specialty stores, along with a handful of farmers’ markets on their scheduled days.

Aside from basic necessities, we enjoy the theatre and culture so accessibility to cultural venues was high on our list when we were house-hunting. There are over 11,500 theatre seats within 15 minutes of our home. The Kimmel Center collection of performance halls is the big kahuna with 7890 seats: https://www.kimmelcenter.org/rent-our-venues/stages1/. And that’s just on two blocks of South Broad Street (dubbed “The Avenue of the Arts”). Within a 5 or so block radius, you pull in the Forrest Theatre (1851 seats), the Walnut Theatre (1054 seats), the Prince Theatre (446 seats), the Suzanne Roberts Theatre (365 seats), the Wilma Theatre (296 seats) and the Drake Theatre (195 seats). We can enjoy a play, a symphony, an opera or ballet and be back home before some of the suburbanites have even made it out if the garage.

Old 12-13-2017, 05:09 PM

5,286 posts, read 4,157,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post

Of course, who wouldn't want to be close to work? I guess I omit it as a necessity since commuting at least 45 min each way seems to be the norm nowadays. Plus, you can't be late and blame it on traffic or weather if you're right down the block.

For most people, I definitely understand the appeal of having countless restaurants and cafes within close proximity, but personally I'm not really a foodie and prefer to cook my own stuff, so all I really care to have close by are a couple places that are open 24 hours

As for all of that other stuff, help me understand why they need to be so close. Even if there's this new museum exhibit I want to see, does it really need to be right outside my front door? Surely I'm not the only one that can appreciate the meditative entertainment of a long walk. I guess you could call me a minimalist.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:57 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,200,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post

As for all of that other stuff, help me understand why they need to be so close. Even if there's this new museum exhibit I want to see, does it really need to be right outside my front door? Surely I'm not the only one that can appreciate the meditative entertainment of a long walk. I guess you could call me a minimalist.
Many of us are not as able as we were in our younger days, yet still enjoy walking to accessible nice things.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:42 PM

I do things much less the farther they are away, despite being known as a committed pedestrian. That goes for coffee shops, museums, and everything else.

As for walking to work, it's incredible. It's a huge stress avoided. The idea of not controlling my arrival time was stressful at best, and always potentially disruptive. Now if I need to show up a little early, and be absolutely sure of being on time for a meeting or deadline, piece of cake. Same at the end of the day. Even if I leave at 6:30 I'll be home in 8-10 minutes, or 11-15 with groceries or takeout (corner stores with no lines are essential!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or