U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2017, 05:11 PM

2,806 posts, read 1,297,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
True. I was expecting a sea of surface lots instead though so this is better than my expectations.
Houston in my experience is a lot more urban than it is given credit for on these boards. I mean no, it isn't Chicago, but inside the loop there are plenty of neighborhoods you could live without a car. Houston has an awesome bus system. I know a few people who have done Houston car free.

I know probably half a dozen people in Dallas doing that right now. The bigger issue I guess would be the stigma of not owning a car, which isnt really there if you are younger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 06:07 PM

4,479 posts, read 2,661,399 times
Back to the 2016 Census ACS numbers. Houston residents' commute shares were 4.0% transit, 2.1% walk, 0.5% bike, and 76.3% drive alone. That's horrific.

Old 12-17-2017, 07:53 PM

5,286 posts, read 3,503,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Back to the 2016 Census ACS numbers. Houston residents' commute shares were 4.0% transit, 2.1% walk, 0.5% bike, and 76.3% drive alone. That's horrific.
Everyplace can't be like Seattle. As a matter of fact, most large Metro's aren't.

Houston also endures scorching heat for several months of the year, not exactly the conditions to induce walking to transit.

Old 12-17-2017, 08:31 PM

6,849 posts, read 7,795,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
And all those cars need a place to park.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I know a few people who have done Houston car free.
In my 26 years in Houston, I never knew a couple who got by on only 1 car, let alone go careless. I don’t doubt you. We must have run in different circles.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
Just because someone lives there, doesn't mean he's right. I have no idea why Houston has underground tunnels . . .
It doesn’t make me right. Or wrong. By and large, most of what all of us are sharing in this thread are preferences rather than obective facts. So, I still don’t understand why this principle is unclear to you.

In this particular instance, however, it does so happen that I do know more than you. The tunnels were built to help Houstonians avoid the unpleasantness of being outdoors in the long hot summers. Was covered to some extent in a link I posted earlier in this thread.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:30 PM

2,806 posts, read 1,297,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
In my 26 years in Houston, I never knew a couple who got by on only 1 car, let alone go careless. I donít doubt you. We must have run in different circles.
Yeah, I mean, they are all transplants, two of them are nurses originally from Chicago who work in the med center which has pretty good transit service.

Old 12-17-2017, 10:06 PM

2,111 posts, read 1,304,477 times
I’ve heard of tunnels in Minneapolis and other cities in Canada for people to not have to go outside during Winter, but I’ve never heard of tunnels made for avoiding heat. Is Summer in Houston really that bad? Or is it like SpringSnow said just an excuse for people not to go outside since Americans generally don’t like walking outside?

And how effective are these tunnels really — In terms of beating the heat? I know here in NY underground gets unbearably hot, sticky, and gross in the Summer. Are these tunnels in Houston just ventilated really well? Idk this whole thing just seems so weird to me. The last place I want to be in The Summer is an underground tunnel.

Old 12-17-2017, 10:31 PM

2,111 posts, read 1,304,477 times
Quote:
I don't think the primary reason the North grew first was the personal weather preference before AC as people keep suggesting,. I think it has way more to do with what types of economies that grew up in those regions.

That said, while there are ways to make walking in hot climates less miserable, I still think it is significantly more uncomfortable to walk and sweat in the heat than to put an extra layer on in the cold. Thats just my opinion having lived in both.
I agree with this. Iím not a fan of cold weather (but I live with it and always have) and I also agree with people saying that extreme winter weather can be just as unpleasant as summer weather. I walk everywhere I need to go in all 4 seasons regardless of weather (donít have another option), but without a doubt I spend less time outside in the winter than other seasons. Other than walking for transportation purposes, I donít really spend much time outside at all during winter, with the one exception being for when it snows. I love being out while the snow is still falling. Or right after it falls ó before it turns into sludge.

But Spring, Summer, or Fall Iím always outside. Unless itís raining.

Quote:
I know probably half a dozen people in Dallas doing that right now. The bigger issue I guess would be the stigma of not owning a car, which isnt really there if you are younger.
Is that stigma really that bad? I know that it exists in most of the country ó you can see it right here on CD sometimes, but Iíve never witnessed it in person. It probably helps that Iím from the one part of the country where NOT driving is the norm and what is expected of people, but even when I lived in South Jersey, which is over an hour from NYC, they didnít seem to have that stigma there either.

Old 12-17-2017, 11:17 PM

4,479 posts, read 2,661,399 times
If someone spends car-type money and effort just to avoid a stigma, their problem might be just a wee bit of life-controlling insecurity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or