U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 07:58 AM

6,852 posts, read 7,799,244 times

Advertisements

Somehow, this wouldnít be as much fun in shorts:

https://philly.curbed.com/maps/phila...-skating-rinks

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=caFenoNHx4c
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 08:00 AM

377 posts, read 202,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post

Now you’re being silly. That sounds about as much fun as dining outdoors in 100 degree temps in Miami.
Miami's all time recorded high temperature is 100 degrees F. Most daytime highs are between 90-95F in Miami's hottest months, and there are plenty of people who dine outside in those temperatures.

In Singapore, this is pretty much the daytime high almost every day of the year (In Miami, maybe just 8 months of the year, maybe) and as stated, al fresco dining is the rage here.

In cold climates, no one dines outside in the winter whereas in hot climates, plenty of people dine out in the summer. It's much easier to dine outside in 100 degrees (provided there is shade), than even 40 degrees (let alone freezing temperatures). Not just for me, but the majority of people as well judging by behaviors and where al fresco dining is most popular.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:05 AM

6,852 posts, read 7,799,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
In Singapore, this is pretty much the daytime high almost every day of the year (In Miami, maybe just 8 months of the year, maybe) and as stated, al fresco dining is the rage here.
Iíve been to Singapore twice - once in the summer and once in the winter. I didnít notice a difference and was miserable both times.

Iíve wasted far too much time on this. I like winter. You donít. Help yourself to the last word.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:42 AM

9,433 posts, read 5,246,863 times
Quote:
Do you have a picture of people dining outside in the winter next to heat lamps?

I have dined next to a heat lamp in San Francisco when the temperatures were in the 50s, kind of brisk, but ok if not terribly windy and sunny. But snowy, and subzero temperatures, I'm genuinely curious if anyone attempts to eat outside.
We rarely have subzero temps in Philly. Ever!

While the high will be about 40F on the first day of winter, it will nearly 50F this coming Friday.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:44 AM

377 posts, read 202,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
We rarely have subzero temps in Philly. Ever!

While the high will be about 40F on the first day of winter, it will nearly 50F this coming Friday.
Sorry, by "subzero" I was in centigrade mindset. So I meant below 32F.

I'm afterall, abroad these days more than I'm in my houses in the USA.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:49 AM

9,433 posts, read 5,246,863 times
Quote:
Iíve been to Singapore twice - once in the summer and once in the winter. I didnít notice a difference and was miserable both times.

Iíve wasted far too much time on this. I like winter. You donít. Help yourself to the last word.
These weather preference "conversations" always end in stalemates on c-d.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:54 AM

5,419 posts, read 2,822,310 times
Because when cars won’t start, human bodies can still walk! Walking is the most reliable form of transportation, period, in any climate.

Never confuse speed with reliability.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:12 AM

2,452 posts, read 1,279,483 times
Quote:
Completely the same.
No.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:18 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,152,919 times
most of this is due to timing of development

generally there were many more large cities in the north early with denser development

on this cold versus hot or whatever both can be bad

brutal heat is nasty as is brutal cold (especially windy)

that said and discussing Philly there are probably a dozen frigid days per year and likely the same number of unbearably hot days nearly most other days ample people are out and about but the spring and fall are likely the busiest

Old 12-18-2017, 10:39 AM

2,112 posts, read 1,306,053 times
Quote:
I'd imagine the "privileged" have cars. All my neighbors in Brooklyn (I have a property there) have automobiles, and if they have it in Brooklyn, why not in Texas? If they don't have a car in Houston, the only reason I could entertain is they can't afford it or they're trying to live some environmentally friendly lifestyle against all odds.
Just curious, what part of Brooklyn are you at that everybody has a car? One of the beach neighborhoods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or