U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 11:37 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,201,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
No.
FYI, the 1920s photo was taken on Texas Avenue at Main Street, with the building with the fur sale sign being the old Rialto Theater at 608 Main, between Texas and Capitol. That entire 600 block is now occupied by just one building, JP Morgan Chase Center, designed by IM Pei and built in 1982.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 12:06 PM

2,452 posts, read 1,280,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
FYI, the 1920s photo was taken on Texas Avenue at Main Street, with the building with the fur sale sign being the old Rialto Theater at 608 Main, between Texas and Capitol. That entire 600 block is now occupied by just one building, JP Morgan Chase Center, designed by IM Pei and built in 1982.
A good amount of the buildings are still intact, and even those that were torn down were done so in anticipation that highrises like the JP Morgan would be built. A rescaling of downtown that wasn't able to be completed thanks to the oil crash.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:24 PM

18,927 posts, read 6,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringSnow View Post
Miami's all time recorded high temperature is 100 degrees F. Most daytime highs are between 90-95F in Miami's hottest months, and there are plenty of people who dine outside in those temperatures.

In Singapore, this is pretty much the daytime high almost every day of the year (In Miami, maybe just 8 months of the year, maybe) and as stated, al fresco dining is the rage here.

In cold climates, no one dines outside in the winter whereas in hot climates, plenty of people dine out in the summer. It's much easier to dine outside in 100 degrees (provided there is shade), than even 40 degrees (let alone freezing temperatures). Not just for me, but the majority of people as well judging by behaviors and where al fresco dining is most popular.
Miami's normal high is 90°+ from Jun 17th through September 9th, maxing at 91° from July 17th through August 24th

Old 12-18-2017, 04:35 PM

2,808 posts, read 1,302,111 times
Quote:
I'd imagine the "privileged" have cars. All my neighbors in Brooklyn (I have a property there) have automobiles, and if they have it in Brooklyn, why not in Texas? If they don't have a car in Houston, the only reason I could entertain is they can't afford it or they're trying to live some environmentally friendly lifestyle against all odds.
Yeah, most upper class or upper middle class people in Dallas or Houston own a car, that is very true. Most working class or working poor also have cars. Most of people I know who have gone car free by choice are young professionals who can afford to live in a walk-able area near to work.

At one point my two old roommates didn't own cars. Both were making good money and could afford to get one (one of them later did) but would just rather not bother with it. I would defiantly consider us privileged. (college educated, good jobs) I guess since I owned a car our apartment had a car.

I do know one dude who was a trust fund kid from Manhattan, (well I guess his parents actually moved to Brooklyn and bought a brownstone recently,but he but he grew up in Manhattan) who lived downtown who either called ubers or asked people to pick him up for stuff even though I'm positive he could afford to own a car. I think in some weird way it helped him feel like he was being "fugal" even if he ran his uber bill up after we told him we were not going to pick him up all the time. LOL.

That guy was not the norm at all though.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:26 PM

4,485 posts, read 2,668,709 times
A 2016 article by the Seattle Times said new apartments in the city were averaging about 0.6 parking spaces per unit. I'd guess that's a good estimate of car ownership among the residents of those units...some people park on the street but there's not much room for that, and some of those new parking spaces go empty.

If you watch new buildings go up, even the $2,500 units are often a similar ratio, because those tend to be centrally located.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:36 AM

377 posts, read 202,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Just curious, what part of Brooklyn are you at that everybody has a car? One of the beach neighborhoods?
Bushwick.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:11 AM

2,122 posts, read 1,306,890 times
Quote:
Bushwick.
That’s interesting.... not what I was expecting at all.
Love Bushwick though

Old 03-09-2018, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Pine to Vine lived in Houston for 26 years. His attitude about it is absolutely valid.
That 26-year experience is simply what he uses to polish the turds that are his arguments.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:30 AM

Quote:
I’ve noticed this. It really is unfortunate. You gotta leave the US to get warm and walkable. Barcelona is a good one. Mexico City I imagine would be too. The closest thing we have is San Francisco. I wouldn’t call that a warm climate though, but I also wouldn’t call it a cold climate either.
Check out Seville if you really want to turn up the heat:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seville#Climate

Old 03-09-2018, 03:48 AM

11,456 posts, read 6,581,240 times
Quote:
That’s interesting.... not what I was expecting at all.
Love Bushwick though
While Bushwick is not autocentric, a ton of people in Bushwick, Bed Stuy, and North Brooklyn in general do drive. Many of my coworkers from Brooklyn and Western Queens drive. One of my coworkers lives in Bed Stuy near the Clinton Hill border and parking is so tight where he lives that sometimes he has to drive around for over an hour to find a spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or