Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 02:27 PM

10,106 posts, read 7,309,147 times

Advertisements

Walkscore is based partially based on mass transit so there is going to be a bias for more populated and more dense big cities with more mass transit due to the bad traffic situation.

. I don't think that has anything to do with walkability though and I think southern cities are generally more compact in downtown areas with the attractions,amenities closer together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 02:29 PM

8,753 posts, read 6,674,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
I'm not sure what transit has to do with 'walkability' . If you take transit, you aren't walking.

It is a fact Charlotte is more compact than most northern cities which contradicts the premise of this topic.
Transit riders usually walk at both ends.

Old 12-03-2017, 02:30 PM

Ok I don't see how the need to use mass transit to get places demonstrates higher walkability. They should use another word for that.

If you have to drive to get to places, nobody would that means more walkable. But if you replace cars with mass transit, it is more walkable?

I thought walkable was related to time and distance it takes to get from one thing to another. For example, a college campus, especially in a college town, is walkable because everything you need is within reasonable walking distance. No need to get on a subway.

Old 12-03-2017, 02:34 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,659,134 times
Quote:
Walkscore is based partially based on mass transit so there is going to be a bias for more populated and more dense big cities with more mass transit due to the bad traffic situation.

. I don't think that has anything to do with walkability though and I think southern cities are generally more compact in downtown areas with the attractions,amenities closer together.
If you open the link, I only posted for walkscores, they have a separate list for transit which more or less is similar in ranking.

Walk Score analyzes hundreds of walking routes to nearby amenities. Points are awarded based on the distance to amenities in each category. Amenities within a 5 minute walk (.25 miles) are given maximum points. A decay function is used to give points to more distant amenities, with no points given after a 30 minute walk.

Old 12-03-2017, 02:35 PM

Ok, it doesn't make sense to me to say cities like NYC and Boston are more walkable than a compact city like Charlotte. As I pointed out, the Giants football stadium isn't even in the same state. Yesterday, ESPN's Gameday set up outside the football stadium in a park one block from the main street, Tryon Street, for the ACC title game.

Moreover, every city in the south has its own unique layout so generalizations about walkability based on region don't make any sense.

Old 12-03-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Ok, it doesn't make sense to me to say cities like NYC and Boston are more walkable than a compact city like Charlotte.

Moreover, every city in the south has its own unique layout so generalizations about walkability based on region don't make any sense.
Probably because in a place like NYC (especially Manhattan) you can walk 10 blocks and find/see/experience more things than an hour long walk in a place like Charlotte. Also, once your done in NYC, you can just hop on a train or bus and take the exact route back. Car ownership # that was just posted by another member also reflect this.

I think you're also focused solely on the capability to walk whereareas most take into consideration the purpose to why one walks in an urban environment and being able live fully without a vehicle. Just because I can walk in Jacksonville doesn't mean I'm going to. The walk"ability" portion is limited when the amenities are so spread out due to lack of density.

I have never owned a car when I live in Chicago, SF and NYC. I don't own one now in DC. I definitely had one in Atlanta because I needed to. If I moved to Charlotte it would be the same case.

Old 12-03-2017, 02:39 PM

What more do you experience other than more restaurants and bars? The number of restaurants, bars, store in Charlotte meets the demand.

All cities have similar things,

I don't see how being able to use subways to get around is proving walkability. It is just proving you don't have to be reliant on a car. You still need a form of transportation. You are not able to walk to everything similar to a college campus.

Old 12-03-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
What more do you experience other than more restaurants and bars? The number of restaurants, bars, store in Charlotte meets the demand.

All cities have similar things,
Lets see.. since I used Manhattan as an example, we'll stick with it. If you walk from 42nd st to 32nd st, you go through Times Sq, major theatres, dozens of restaurants and bars and retail stores, Koreatown, Madison Sq Garden, Penn Station, Radio City, Bryant Part, I believe about 5 metro stops and a bus stop at every block etc.... and keep in mind the numbered Streets in Manhattan are the small blocks.

Old 12-03-2017, 02:55 PM

8,753 posts, read 6,674,180 times
Why would this be soooo confusing? Is it the concept of "more"?

Old 12-03-2017, 03:19 PM

5,678 posts, read 4,836,510 times
Quote:
Ok, it doesn't make sense to me to say cities like NYC and Boston are more walkable than a compact city like Charlotte. As I pointed out, the Giants football stadium isn't even in the same state. Yesterday, ESPN's Gameday set up outside the football stadium in a park one block from the main street, Tryon Street, for the ACC title game.

I think what people are referring to is urbanity, not necessarily walkability in the strictest form. Of course you can walk in Charlotte, but is it really that Urban, particularly just outside of its CBD? For instance lets compare Charlotte to Portland, both have metro areas between 2 and 2.5 million.

Here is Charlotte from space
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.2262.../data=!3m1!1e3

and here is Portland from a similar height (notice the ruler in the bottom right corner)
https://www.google.com/maps/@45.5214.../data=!3m1!1e3

As you can see Portland has a much larger area of dense buildings, maybe not as tall, but more of them, and the city blocks are much smaller too.

And then on top of that lets compare Vienna which also has a similar sized metro area.
https://www.google.com/maps/@48.2084.../data=!3m1!1e3

see the difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.