U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2017, 04:01 PM

3,254 posts, read 1,630,168 times

Advertisements

I was just looking at some statistics and some cities with very high crime rates actually have decent per-capita incomes which means they still have a decent middle-class.

St. Louis has a per-capita income of $24,000 and has the highest homicide rate in the country and some of the highest in the world.

Wilmington, DE has a per-capita of $26,000 and looking at photos of the city it actually looks like a decent city with no more blight than a typical city.

Richmond, VA is similar to national per-capita incomes at about $28,000 and yet it has major crime issues.

There are cities like Cleveland and Detroit that have extremely low per-capita income's but I am always surprised how many cities that are among the most violent in America by some indicators like St. Louis, Richmond and Wilmington actually have respectable per-capita incomes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2017, 04:04 PM

3,511 posts, read 2,968,854 times
Wilmington has a decent per-capita because there are still some wealthy neighborhoods in the city, like The Triangle and Trolley Square. It's high crime rate is really only concentrated in certain pockets of the city, and affects those who partake in the drug game. And there are plenty of very wealthy neighborhood just outside of city limits, the wealthiest in the state in fact, in places like Greenville (home of Joe Biden) and Alapocas.

Old 12-02-2017, 04:06 PM

613 posts, read 505,402 times
DC has to lead the pack here ($44,677)

but it's always going to be misleading unless you look at per capita income in the specific neighborhoods where the crime occurs AND factor in the cost of living in the area

Old 12-02-2017, 06:33 PM

6,795 posts, read 11,761,346 times
Sounds like San Francisco or even Oakland. I always wonder how criminals can even afford to live in those cities (or to commute to them from even a remotely affordable city) on a regular basis.

Old 12-07-2017, 11:43 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,399,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Sounds like San Francisco or even Oakland. I always wonder how criminals can even afford to live in those cities (or to commute to them from even a remotely affordable city) on a regular basis.
Well not that being and being a criminal is the same thing but in terms of affordability there's public housing our voucher programs.

Old 12-08-2017, 05:11 AM

21,180 posts, read 30,336,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
DC has to lead the pack here ($44,677)

but it's always going to be misleading unless you look at per capita income in the specific neighborhoods where the crime occurs AND factor in the cost of living in the area
^^ This

About as misleading as it gets since easily 2/3 to 3/4 of DC is no where near dangerous and the unsafe areas are largely contained to the far NE and SE neighborhoods bordering MD.

Old 12-09-2017, 02:14 AM

998 posts, read 881,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
I was just looking at some statistics and some cities with very high crime rates actually have decent per-capita incomes which means they still have a decent middle-class.

St. Louis has a per-capita income of $24,000 and has the highest homicide rate in the country and some of the highest in the world.

Wilmington, DE has a per-capita of $26,000 and looking at photos of the city it actually looks like a decent city with no more blight than a typical city.

Richmond, VA is similar to national per-capita incomes at about $28,000 and yet it has major crime issues.

There are cities like Cleveland and Detroit that have extremely low per-capita income's but I am always surprised how many cities that are among the most violent in America by some indicators like St. Louis, Richmond and Wilmington actually have respectable per-capita incomes.
Crime in Richmond is confined to certain areas of the metro as in any other city/metro, it is not under siege and DOES NOT have "major crime issues", pure folly.

Old 12-09-2017, 03:52 AM

7,691 posts, read 4,551,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
Crime in Richmond is confined to certain areas of the metro as in any other city/metro, it is not under siege and DOES NOT have "major crime issues", pure folly.
I actually disagree about crime being contained in Richmond. I think you’d encounter more crime, per-capita in The Fan, Museum District, Church Hill and Scott’s Addition than say, the nice parts of Chicago. That’s said, I wouldn’t categorize Richmond as dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or