Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 09:33 AM

23,068 posts, read 28,783,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
A Border Wall will help.
With the fertility rate of 2.2 in Mexico, why build it? Large Mexican families are now history. They'll also have a large graying population some day to deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 10:14 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,089,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
With the fertility rate of 2.2 in Mexico, why build it? Large Mexican families are now history. They'll also have a large graying population some day to deal with.
I was not speaking specifically of Mexico regarding poor people having more children. The wall is to keep illegals out- we don't need them. I'm sorry for the decent ones that are poor, but we cannot solve all of the worlds problems.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:16 AM

14,802 posts, read 17,556,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
A decreasing population is bad. Economic growth in developed economies is closely tied to growth in the population/labor force. This is one reason why Japan has been unable to get out of its decades-long economic slump.

Of course, it's possible even in a shrinking economy, the per-capita income of Americans would rise. But it would be bad for the economy as a whole, because most markets would be shrinking rather than growing, causing frenzied competition and disincentivizing investment.
It is certainly not good, but it's very likely our future. That's what the nativists want apparently.

Old 12-05-2017, 11:45 AM

6,323 posts, read 4,850,896 times
Population decline doesn't have to be bad. I read an article today about how there's actually a weak negative correlation between population growth and economic growth among US metro areas: Population Growth Means a City Is Thriving, or Does It?

The main catch is that you don't want rapid decline, and if possible, it's better to put it off a little until you can instill the proper infrastructure, automation, and services to take care of an aging population. I think we will likely do this, since the US remains a major worldwide immigration destination.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:47 PM

10,948 posts, read 6,991,865 times
If we keep up the crap we're starting to roll with, we might see a population decrease. It depends on whether we wake up and step in. All sorts of bad scenarios could unfold otherwise. I know that's vague, but I'll leave it at that.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:17 PM

23,068 posts, read 28,783,425 times
With Japan's steadfast resistance to immigrants, wanting to keep the Japanese race pure, they're turning to Robots, but then, they've been way ahead of everyone else in robotics since the 1950's. They even have an all-robot hotel in Tokyo now. Google it and you'll see!

There was an article recently about the introduction of robots into nursing homes there, and, many of the patients preferred the robots to human beings!

I work in a nursing home, and given the compassion fatigued aides and nurses working there, if I were a patient there, with a choice, I'd elect to have the robots care for me.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:52 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,381,208 times
As long as the US is wealthy I'm sure we'll draw immigrants.

Old 12-05-2017, 02:10 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,847,152 times
The US currently accepts over 1M LEGAL immigrants a year, higher than all the developed world combined. It's about time this country started to get its population under control. I have no desire to see the US with 500M people.

I wish legal immigration was cut to 250,000 per year, all merit based. If you can't get in on your own merits you don't get in because your brother or sister is a tech worker or doctor. Sorry, we the people of the US don't owe you anything.

Old 12-05-2017, 02:28 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,381,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
The US currently accepts over 1M LEGAL immigrants a year, higher than all the developed world combined. It's about time this country started to get its population under control. I have no desire to see the US with 500M people.

I wish legal immigration was cut to 250,000 per year, all merit based. If you can't get in on your own merits you don't get in because your brother or sister is a tech worker or doctor. Sorry, we the people of the US don't owe you anything.
I'm pro immigration control, but then I say WTF my grandfather wasn't a doctor or engineer. So by those standards they wouldn't be allowed in and I'd be sitting in Cork Ireland.

Old 12-05-2017, 04:23 PM

5,425 posts, read 5,650,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
The US currently accepts over 1M LEGAL immigrants a year, higher than all the developed world combined.
LOL you just made that up? Tiny UK alone gets around half a million legal immigrants per year...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.