U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 11:11 PM

2,799 posts, read 1,654,296 times

Advertisements

So the American's are having less babies. Immigration rates have begun to drop, and 2nd and 3rd generation immigrants are having kids at similar rates to white Americans. This seems like a recipe for population decline, this is already happening in Japan and Eastern and Southern Europe. Western and Northern European countries and losing population because they are receiving a large number of migrants right now, once that goes down their population will probably begin to decrease to. It seems people of the "developed" world aren't having as many kids as they use to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 01:53 AM

5,582 posts, read 3,722,675 times
It is a provocative question, for sure. I don't pretend to have the definitive answer. I will say that this "decrease" in population has never occurred in the history of the US. I don't see anything in the near-term that would change this.
As long as the US economy expands (even through certain recessions), I believe the possibility of a decreasing population in the U.S. would be slim to none.

Now, if you want to get into particular State populations, that is a different argument. But overall, I don't see any decreased population overall, despite lower immigration numbers.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:58 AM

10,071 posts, read 4,687,862 times
decreasing isnt bad, its an aging population that is

medical technology can prolong life so adults dont die as early to cancel put lower birth rate
as technology gets better, even a higher birth rate wont reverse the population getting older

Old 12-05-2017, 05:27 AM

7,751 posts, read 9,056,202 times
I don't think it will decrease.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:19 AM

17,441 posts, read 21,278,178 times
Subtract the immigrants, and yes, the population in the U.S. is already decreasing. Native born fertility rate is estimated at 1.7, 2.1 being the ideal replacement rate.

The 1 and 2 child family is sweeping the entire world, even Mexico, India, Iran and much of South America.

What we'd look like, sans immigrants, would be something like Japan, which doesn't accept permanent immigrants, with a chronic shortage of workers, 1.2 applicants per job.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:50 AM

5,189 posts, read 3,730,621 times
Quality over Quantity. Robots/Automation will be taking over many jobs anyway so we'll be better prepared.

Old 12-05-2017, 06:53 AM

3,837 posts, read 1,420,847 times
A Border Wall will help.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:53 AM

3,754 posts, read 3,862,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
It is a provocative question, for sure. I don't pretend to have the definitive answer. I will say that this "decrease" in population has never occurred in the history of the US. I don't see anything in the near-term that would change this.
As long as the US economy expands (even through certain recessions), I believe the possibility of a decreasing population in the U.S. would be slim to none.
Really? If US restricts immigration, we would be experiencing population decline as is. United States is not at the natural replacement level. When population declines, the tax burden goes up, because there are fewer younger people to support the old.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:57 AM

10,564 posts, read 13,140,652 times
Yes, I think it's likely with Trump's anti immigrant policies.

The birth rate is below replacement level.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:05 AM

12,448 posts, read 11,955,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
decreasing isnt bad, its an aging population that is

medical technology can prolong life so adults dont die as early to cancel put lower birth rate
as technology gets better, even a higher birth rate wont reverse the population getting older
A decreasing population is bad. Economic growth in developed economies is closely tied to growth in the population/labor force. This is one reason why Japan has been unable to get out of its decades-long economic slump.

Of course, it's possible even in a shrinking economy, the per-capita income of Americans would rise. But it would be bad for the economy as a whole, because most markets would be shrinking rather than growing, causing frenzied competition and disincentivizing investment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or