Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which city would be last on your list and why?
Portland,OR 7 4.46%
Salt Lake City,UT 19 12.10%
Albuquerque,NM 7 4.46%
Boise,ID 18 11.46%
Phoenix,AZ 37 23.57%
Oklahoma City,OK 35 22.29%
Omaha,NE 22 14.01%
San Antonio,TX 12 7.64%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 10:40 AM

3,455 posts, read 8,343,889 times

Advertisements

hmmm...I am actually pretty interested in OKC and Omaha, but knew they would take a beating in this poll! I have never spent much time in either of them except driving through, they seem like nice places to me, though maybe little crime problems.

I chose Portland -- the culture seems oppressive to me (I'm a tad conservative and maybe even republican! though I do recylce!) It seems like the culture would feel to "same" to me.....like everyone was trying to "outcool" one another. I get enough of this in the Chicago area. I know its a generlatization and a hunch but I have read enough from others who have lived there that I believe my hunch! I also dont like the hostility to outsiders and californians....even though I am from Illinois. I LOVE the ocean.....but would probably become suicidal with all that drizzle, gray and gloom!
I actually love crazy thunderstorms of the type Omaha and OKC receive....but constant drizzle would just be sad, sad, sad!

I'd like to visit Portland though!

I have a job opportunity in both Pheonix and San Antonio....I'm real interested in SA though I've never been there! hope to read more about people's thoughts!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 10:44 AM

1,082 posts, read 4,718,056 times
Salt Lake and Okla city had about the same lack of appeal for me--I gave SLC the benefit of the doubt for its proximity to the mtns.

Old 03-22-2008, 10:46 AM

2,072 posts, read 5,416,603 times
rgb -

If San Antonio is anything like Fort Worth, then it's somewhat like OKC, which is similar to Omaha in *some* aspects. So maybe you'll like it?

I recycle I didn't know there was a stereotype that conservatives don't recycle. lol. Learn somethin new everyday I guess.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:58 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,620,219 times
Phoenix. Phoenix. Phoenix.

It's sprawly, way too hot, becoming expensive to live in (and for what?) and is growing in all the wrong ways.

Oklamhoma City never thrilled me though for some reason I'd like to visit.

Omaha is just too isolated.

Boise and especially Portland seem pretty interesting.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:04 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Phoenix. YUCK! (Sorry SpeedyAZ!)

Old 03-22-2008, 07:13 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,517,094 times
[quote=radraja;3199857]Portland - gloom and doom 9 months of the year? No thanks. The high crime rate doesn't work for me either.

Next would be Oklahoma City...how boring.[/Q

I think Oklahoma City is even more attractive now, I wouldn't have to worry about running into as many close minded people!

Old 03-22-2008, 08:00 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,689,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
Go Ne - I love Omaha ... but I don't think Goozer meant to be insulting, he was just stating his opinion. Omaha isn't small town - but if you're from a much larger metro it could seem slow pace.

Anyway, what is that proposed building on the right? (The tallest one?)
The building on the right is a tower Pacific Life is planning to build, (I learned this from one of their employees) he created this picture but doesnt really know much about the building, I think constuction is supposed to commence in late 2009 or early 2010.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:05 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post

Salt Lake City-- Third last. Absolutely gorgeous mountain views all around, easy access to skiing. However, some of the worst air pollution in the country, low wages. However, since I'm not Mormon, I would never live in Utah-- I love visiting the state, but I could never live there, or I'd feel like an outsider. Don't make any mistake about it, Salt Lake City may be a big city, but it is EXTREMELY Mormon there. I'm not saying that's a good or a bad thing, but it's the truth. I'd rather visit once in awhile than live there.
Bingo. My #1. I couldn't have said it better myself. I've had to go there for work and while the people were friendly enough, I absolutely got the vibe I wasn't "one of them". If I'm uncomfortable around the people I need to interact with, it doesn't matter how gorgeous the views, how awesome the skiing is (which it is - hands down the best in the nation).

Old 03-22-2008, 08:06 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,689,318 times
Lincoln, Kansas City and Des Moines are close to Omaha
48 miles from Lincoln
122 to Des Moines
150 to Kansas city
Sorry we like to expand from our own economy rather then depending on larger cities to fuel us. Harrisburg is farely isolated too.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:34 PM

395 posts, read 1,363,877 times
I picked Omaha...SLC is a close second...
Omaha=Never found it too appealing.I am sure it isn't bad or anything though.
SLC=I think it may be too up-tight for me, but it is a beautiful area.

All the others I wouldn't mind
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.