Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2017, 12:46 PM

304 posts, read 295,647 times

Advertisements

This is a pretty simple question and probably gets asked in some variation every other day.

What's a cheap place to live?

I'm a disabled vet and I live on my disability, about 3,000 per month (tax free). It's just me and my dog so no worries about a spouse or kids. I have the odd job here and there as I'm able to contribute to finances. I've done ok financially sticking to the less desirable areas in the south and western PA. I'm just curious if I can ever hope to live in a more desirable area. I've been bored of all my options so far, especially since I'm realizing that buying land and a house is probably never going to happen.

The only absolute hard need is that it can't be in the desert due to health. Everything else is just a want or preference that can easily be ditched. Mountains and hills, single family home with yard, small town or rural area, high speed internet access, nearish (within an hour or so) to a VA medical center, snow ok but probably can't be shoveling all winter long unless I can hire it out.

Just for reference on things I like, if I had all the money in the world, I'd probably head to a place like the areas near Northampton, MA or Asheville, NC. So super liberal areas, but not a requirement as I can find pockets of good people just about anywhere if I really look.

Where should I live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 01:08 PM

93,285 posts, read 123,898,066 times
What about some of the suggestions in this thread?: So Expensive!!!

Given the original post for this thread, perhaps a place like Dryden NY just NE of Ithaca and less than an hour from the Syracuse VA Hospital may work. Ithaca is of the same vein in terms of vibe as Northampton and Asheville. Dryden is in the same county as Ithaca as well.

There is also a VA Medical clinic in nearby Freeville: https://www.syracuse.va.gov/location...ent_Clinic.asp

Hopefully others will post some possibilities.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-05-2017 at 01:36 PM..

Old 12-05-2017, 01:34 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,515,450 times
Greenville, SC is inexpensive, rolling hills, and a nice area. Nice 4-season climate. It has a VA Outpatient Center. There are larger VA Hospitals in Columbia (1h 30m) and Asheville (1h 15m).

Conservatives are nice.....I am one, lol. Seriously, unless someone's a jerk, no matter one's political affiliation, you can find your niche' about anywhere and make same new friends to boot. I actually like living in a politically moderate area myself. And thank you for your service to our nation. My wife and I have 2 sons serving right now (Army's 82nd Airborne and Marine Corps.). We understand and greatly appreciate the sacrifices you all make. No matter where you land, good luck in your search!

Old 12-05-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about some of the suggestions in this thread?: So Expensive!!!

Given the original post for this thread, perhaps a place like Dryden NY just NW of Ithaca and less than an hour from the Syracuse VA Hospital may work. Ithaca is of the same vein in terms of vibe as Northampton and Asheville. Dryden is in the same county as Ithaca as well.

There is also a VA Medical clinic in nearby Freeville: https://www.syracuse.va.gov/location...ent_Clinic.asp

Hopefully others will post some possibilities.
I appreciated the responses in that thread, but unfortunately most weren't very workable for my situation. I don't have the sort of capital required to have that lifestyle. Maybe if I have a good ten years to save up in a cheap place, but certainly not now. Oh well, the drawbacks of getting hurt while serving, I guess. Just want to see what else is out there before giving up and just renting a crumbly house in the area where I currently live.

Thanks for the suggestion here. I'll check them out.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:41 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,417,068 times
I'm a logical and methodical person. Seems to me that VA care is probably the most important thing for your quality of life (not knowing how often you need that care, but assuming several times a year). So, I'd simply start by looking for the best rated VA hospitals... this was the top search result, there's bound to be lots more info if you start digging:

http://va-hospitals.healthgrove.com/

From there rule out options based on climate, location preferences, cost of living, etc... You ought to be able to come up with a top 5 in an evening and then focus your efforts on learning more about those 5.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I'm a logical and methodical person. Seems to me that VA care is probably the most important thing for your quality of life (not knowing how often you need that care, but assuming several times a year). So, I'd simply start by looking for the best rated VA hospitals... this was the top search result, there's bound to be lots more info if you start digging:

http://va-hospitals.healthgrove.com/

From there rule out options based on climate, location preferences, cost of living, etc... You ought to be able to come up with a top 5 in an evening and then focus your efforts on learning more about those 5.
It's not the most important thing for my quality of life. It's a convenient tool to have nearby, but not a requirement for medical care. I've done just fine with the choice program when I've been far from a VA (Choice program sends you to private practitioners).

Old 12-05-2017, 05:58 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,325,259 times
Louisville, KY

Truly underrated city, especially with the awesome cost of living. $3K a month will go a very long way. Rolling green hills, tons to do, and crazy affordable.

If you are wanting a smaller more rural feel, check out places in Southern Indiana like Corydon, IN. Again, green rolling hills, super affordable, very safe, and still only about 30-40 minutes to downtown Louisville.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:14 AM

93,285 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisins99 View Post
I appreciated the responses in that thread, but unfortunately most weren't very workable for my situation. I don't have the sort of capital required to have that lifestyle. Maybe if I have a good ten years to save up in a cheap place, but certainly not now. Oh well, the drawbacks of getting hurt while serving, I guess. Just want to see what else is out there before giving up and just renting a crumbly house in the area where I currently live.

Thanks for the suggestion here. I'll check them out.
While not in Dryden, the first 2 listings are just east of it closer to Cortland(and Syracuse, while within minutes from Ithaca: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Some more in rural areas nearby: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Old 12-07-2017, 05:47 AM

27,202 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisins99 View Post
This is a pretty simple question and probably gets asked in some variation every other day.

What's a cheap place to live?

I'm a disabled vet and I live on my disability, about 3,000 per month (tax free). It's just me and my dog so no worries about a spouse or kids. I have the odd job here and there as I'm able to contribute to finances. I've done ok financially sticking to the less desirable areas in the south and western PA. I'm just curious if I can ever hope to live in a more desirable area. I've been bored of all my options so far, especially since I'm realizing that buying land and a house is probably never going to happen.

The only absolute hard need is that it can't be in the desert due to health. Everything else is just a want or preference that can easily be ditched. Mountains and hills, single family home with yard, small town or rural area, high speed internet access, nearish (within an hour or so) to a VA medical center, snow ok but probably can't be shoveling all winter long unless I can hire it out.

Just for reference on things I like, if I had all the money in the world, I'd probably head to a place like the areas near Northampton, MA or Asheville, NC. So super liberal areas, but not a requirement as I can find pockets of good people just about anywhere if I really look.

Where should I live?
If Asheville is at the top of your list why not someplace nearby that's affordable and would allow for a comfortable lifestyle? Check out Hendersonville which is about 25 miles to the south. It's a very nice town of around 14K with a thriving downtown of it's own and easy proximity to Asheville. While conservative in the past it's become much more progressive and has attracted many who have been priced out of Asheville. You can find decent dog-friendly apartment/homes renting for around $900 a month, many that are actually two bedrooms.

Welcome to Downtown Hendersonville, NC

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_ren...82_rect/10_zm/

http://www.apartmentfinder.com/q/?cd...B&xr=1000&pt=1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.