Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 09:55 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,799,627 times

Advertisements

"Do any of you feel its worth the big city life if it means having to rent an apartment or living in a 1 bedroom condo?"

NO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 10:01 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
^That's all pretty suburban looking. You can't have transit that's "more accessible" if you don't have dense population and activity centers where origin-destination pairs match for large numbers of people. I know you were probably trying to show us suburban style housing that's available in the city of Houston, but from my understanding (I've never been there) it's overall a fairly suburban city.

I don't think of living in an urban environment as "giving up" a big house. I don't want the big house to begin with. I would say that one of the only things an urbanite "gives up" in most cases is really good public schools. I'm not trying to pick on mpope there. Comments about "giving up" big houses, cars, and "suburban conveniences" (?) have been made going all the way back to the OP. By not living in the tropics am I "giving up" yellow fever?

I live in the suburbs now because my work situation requires it. My situation is changing and by Fall I'll be back in the City. But even still, I'm renting in a suburban downtown where I don't have to use my car for anything other than getting to work or for special needs that my town doesn't meet. For me, a $500,000 1-BR apartment in Brooklyn would be much more desirable than a $500,000 shabby house in the suburbs. Either way I'll have to settle down with someone to be able to afford it.
Well it appears suburban, but these homes are in a very very urban setting. I think that everybody on this website needs to pull away from the idea that small streets and pedestrian friendly communities does not equal urban. That is not the definition. Cities like Houston are just southern urban. Now, the assumption that Houston is largely suburban would be incorrect. City limit homes are very distinctive. You'll know when you're in the suburbs over here. Can't blame you though because I think I have an idea of who you might be hearing this from . Our way of urban living is close to perfect except for the failing transit which is on its way to becoming accessible. Suburbs and all. So, is the urban lifestyle worth not being able to enjoy a house? Not in Houston.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:04 AM

Just because some of our houses don't stick together doesn't make any city a big suburb. As I told another user not to long ago, I encourage you to come down here and discover just how "suburban" it is.

Mind you, Houston has some northern style urban centers even on the outskirts.

Last edited by mpope409; 05-11-2007 at 10:13 AM..

Old 05-11-2007, 11:29 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Just because some of our houses don't stick together doesn't make any city a big suburb. As I told another user not to long ago, I encourage you to come down here and discover just how "suburban" it is.

Mind you, Houston has some northern style urban centers even on the outskirts.
What defines a "northern style urban center"? I hope you are not talking about those bogus strip malls that have brick false fronts with fake windows upstairs to look like second story apartments, surrounded by acres of parking and not connected with any residential areas other than by car. They remind me of Disney World! ("City Land!")

We've had a few of those pop up in the suburbs and exurbs here. They are not fooling anyone except maybe some folk who have spent their entire lives in suburbs and rural areas.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
What defines a "northern style urban center"? I hope you are not talking about those bogus strip malls that have brick false fronts with fake windows upstairs to look like second story apartments, surrounded by acres of parking and not connected with any residential areas other than by car. They remind me of Disney World! ("City Land!")

We've had a few of those pop up in the suburbs and exurbs here. They are not fooling anyone except maybe some folk who have spent their entire lives in suburbs and rural areas.
No, not at all. Granted, it's newer and it even looks weird in some parts, but except for the homes, it's genuine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.